~The Natural State~.....IOWA

olena

<font color=green>Emerald Angel<br><font color=mag
State Bird

American Goldfinch

Carduelis tristis

Description
4 1/2-5" (11-13 cm). Smaller than a sparrow. Breeding male bright yellow with a white rump, black forehead, white edges on black wings and tail, and yellow at bend of wing. Female and winter male duller and grayer with black wings, tail, and white wing bars. Travels in flocks; undulating flight.
Voice Bright per-chick-o-ree, also rendered as potato-chips, delivered in flight and coinciding with each undulation.
Habitat
Brushy thickets, weedy grasslands, and nearby trees.
Nesting
4 or 5 pale blue eggs in a well-made cup of grass, bark strips, and plant down, placed in the upright fork of a small sapling or a shrub.
Range
Breeds from southern British Columbia east to Newfoundland and south to California, Utah, southern Colorado, central Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Carolinas. Winters in much of United States.
Discussion
Since this goldfinch's main food is seeds, nesting does not begin until midsummer or late summer, when weed seeds are available. Thus goldfinches remain in flocks until well past the time when other species have formed pairs and are nesting. Because they nest so late, only a single brood is raised each season. They migrate in compact flocks with an erratic, "roller coaster" flight. Studies of their winter migrations from Vancouver, British Columbia, and Washington State have shown that these birds hesitate before flying across water. In one instance, some returned to the mainland. One by one, the whole flock followed suit. Ten minutes later they returned to the waterside, chattering noisily. Many birds then continued on. Those remaining repeatedly took wing only to veer off and again return to land. Finally, a sharp drop in temperature forced the birds to complete their migration.

goldfinch

State Flower

Wild Prairie Rose

Rosa setigera var. tomentosa

Description A climbing, sprawling or trailing shrub, 3-4 ft. high, or in the open, an erect shrub, up to 15 ft., with arching stems. Flowers are deep pink, fading to white. Fall colors are combination of bronze-purple, orange and yellow.
Habitat Mesic to dry prairies; open woods; roadsides.
Range S. Ontario, Wisconsin, and Nebraska south to Texas, east to New York and Florida.
Discussion Susceptible to fungal problems.

rose

State tree

Oak

Quercus alba

Description The classic eastern oak, with widespreading branches and a rounded crown, the trunk irregularly divided into spreading, often horizontal, stout branches.
Height: 80-100' (24-30 cm) or more.
Diameter: 3-4' (0.9-1.2 m) or more.
Leaves: 4-9" (10-23 cm) long, 2-4" (5-10 cm) wide. Elliptical; 5- to 9-lobed; widest beyond middle and tapering to base; hairless. Bright green above, whitish or gray-green beneath; turning red or brown in fall, often remaining attached in winter.
Bark: light gray; shallowly fissured into long broad scaly plates or ridges, often loose.
Acorns: 3/8-1 1/4" (1-3 cm) long; egg-shaped; about 1/4 enclosed by shallow cup; becoming light gray; with warty, finely hairy scales; maturing first year.
Habitat Moist well-drained uplands and lowlands, often in pure stands.
Range S. Ontario and extreme S. Quebec east to Maine, south to N. Florida, west to E. Texas, and north to E. central Minnesota; to 5500' (1676 m), or above in southern Appalachians.
Discussion The most important lumber tree of the white oak group, its high-grade wood is useful for all purposes. It is sometimes called "Stave Oak" because the wood is outstanding in making tight barrels for whiskey and other liquids. In colonial times the wood was important in shipbuilding.

oak

Previous Natural States
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Florida
Kansas
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Ohio
Rhode Island
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Washington
West Virginia

Previous Natural Provinces
Manitoba
Ontario
Prince Edward Island

Very nice, Heather!

Ya' know - when I see Iowa, I always think of two people - one of our resident doctors here on the DIS, Deb from IA and Radar from MASH (he was from Ottumwa!)

With Iowa in the spotlight this week, I thought I'd shed a little more on it.

When I was compiling all this info, I was surprised at Iowa. So many states have numerous state symbols, but not Iowa. Iowa has 8 symbols.....total. They don't have corn designated as their official vegetable or crop. That REALLY surprised me. They do have an official State Seal, Flag, Tree, Flower, Bird and Rock (Geode). They have two songs, too. The official song is Song of Iowa and their unofficial song is Iowa Corn Song. You can hear it here.

Iowa may not have a lot of symbols, but what they do have are lovely, and the Oak, so majestic. :)

Wild Prairie Rose....:)...it's so pretty.

Thank you Heather, for another job well done! :)

I totally agree. Many of the Provinces were like that, too. There weren't many symbols, but the ones they had were very impressive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter