~The Natural Province~.....ONTARIO (Updated with bird call)

olena

<font color=green>Emerald Angel<br><font color=mag
Provincial Bird

Common Loon

Gavia immer

Description 28-36" (71-91 cm). A large, heavy-bodied loon with a thick, pointed, usually black or dark gray bill held horizontally. In breeding plumage, head and neck black with white bands on neck; back black with white spots. In winter, crown, hindneck, and upperparts dark grayish; throat and underparts white.
Voice Best-known call a loud, wailing laugh, also a mournful yodeled oo-AH-ho with middle note higher, and a loud ringing kee-a-ree, kee-a-ree with middle note lower. Often calls at night and sometimes on migration.
Habitat Nests on forested lakes and rivers; winters mainly on coastal bays and ocean.
Nesting 2 olive-brown or greenish, lightly spotted eggs in a bulky mass of vegetation near water's edge, usually on an island.
Range Breeds from Aleutian Islands, Alaska, and northern Canada south to California, Montana, and Massachusetts. Winters along Great Lakes, Gulf Coast, Atlantic and Pacific coasts. Also breeds in Greenland and Iceland.
Discussion The naturalist John Muir, who knew the Common Loon during his early years in Wisconsin, described its call as "one of the wildest and most striking of all the wilderness sounds, a strange, sad, mournful, unearthly cry, half laughing, half wailing." Expert divers, loons have eyes that can focus both in air and under water and nearly solid bones that make them heavier than many other birds; they are able to concentrate oxygen in their leg muscles to sustain them during the strenuous paddling that can take them as far as 200 feet (60 meters) below the surface. Their principal food is fish, but they also eat shellfish, frogs, and aquatic insects. In recent decades, acid rain has sterilized many lakes where these birds formerly bred, and their numbers are declining.

loon

Provincial Flower

Large-flower Trillium

Trillium grandiflorum

Large-flower Wakerobin

Description The large, solitary, waxy-white flower (turning pink with age) is on an erect stalk above a whorl of 3 broad leaves.
Flowers: 2-4" (5-10 cm) wide; petals 3, large, wavy-edged; sepals 3, green; stamens 6, with yellow anthers.
Leaves: 3-6" (7.5-15 cm) long; broadly ovate to diamond-shaped, pointed.
Fruit: red berry.
Height: 8-18" (20-45 cm).
Flower April-June.
Habitat Rich woods, thickets, usually basic or neutral soils.
Range Ontario, Quebec, western Maine, and New Hampshire; south to Georgia; west to Arkansas; north to Minnesota.
Discussion This largest and showiest trillium is frequently cultivated in wildflower gardens. The underground rootstalks were gathered and chewed by Native Americans for a variety of medicinal purposes. The plants have also been picked and eaten as cooked greens. This practice may be fatal to the plant, since these trilliums arise from the rootstalks, which often die if the leaves are removed.

trillium

Provincial Tree

Eastern White Pine

Pinus strobus

Description The largest northeastern conifer, a magnificent evergreen tree with straight trunk and crown of horizontal branches, 1 row added a year, becoming broad and irregular.
Height: 100' (33 m), formerly 150' (46 m) or more.
Diameter: 3-4' (0.9-1.2 m) or more.
Needles: evergreen; 2 1/2-5" (6-13 cm) long, 5 in bundle; slender; blue-green.
Bark: gray; smooth becoming rough; thick and deeply furrowed into narrow scaly ridges.
Cones: 4-8" (10-20 cm) long; narrowly cylindrical; yellow-brown; long-stalked; cone-scales thin, rounded, flat.
Habitat Well-drained sandy soils; sometimes in pure stands.
Range SE. Manitoba east to Newfoundland, south to N. Georgia, and west to NE. Iowa; a variety in Mexico. From near sea level to 2000' (610 m); in the southern Appalachians to 5000' (1524 m).
Discussion The largest conifer and formerly the most valuable tree of the Northeast, Eastern White Pine is used for construction, millwork, trim, and pulpwood. Younger trees and plantations have replaced the once seemingly inexhaustible lumber supply of virgin forests. The tall straight trunks were prized for ship masts in the colonial period. It is the state tree of Maine, the Pine Tree State; the pine cone and tassel are the state's floral emblem. The seeds were introduced in England (where it is called Weymouth Pine) from Maine in 1605 by Captain George Weymouth of the British Navy.

pine

Previous Natural States
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Ohio
Rhode Island
Utah
Vermont
Washington
West Virginia

Previous Natural Provinces
Manitoba
Prince Edward Island

It's so nice to hear the loons at night up at the cottage. They do sound a little mournful, or lonely, but I find it to be kind of soothing.

They're so famous, they made it on our dollar coin! :) Commonly referred to as a looney! :)

Thank you, Heather, this is great!! :)

I'll put up a link on the Canadian Visitors board.

:)

Very Nice Heather. Thank you!

I didn't know we had a provincal tree, or bird....Live a little, learn a lot!

<EMBED SRC="http://www.greatbritton.net/pix/state/ont/loon.wav" HEIGHT=60 WIDTH=144 hidden></embed>

The loon has a beautiful voice...:D

The loons are alot better than the Canada Goose that just leaves it mark everwhere. :headache: :faint:
Lots and lots of little marks in all our nice parks and on the golf courses, Yuckie :headache: :faint:

I love it!

On one of our camping trips to the Adirondacks, we had a lakeside site and a pair of loons entertained us for the entire week we were there.

They must have been a mating pair. It was a fairly small lake and I understand that loons are quite solitary.

They'd disappear under the water and we'd all take guesses as to where they'd reappear.

I really enjoyed hearing their call as I went about my daily routine too.

We felt sad at the end of the week to be leaving our loonie friends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter