~The Natural Province~......BRITISH COLUMBIA

olena

<font color=green>Emerald Angel<br><font color=mag
Provincial Flower

Pacific Dogwood

Cornus nuttallii

Pacific Flowering Dogwood, Mountain Dogwood

Description Tree with dense, conical or rounded crown of often horizontal branches and with beautiful white flower clusters.
Height: 50' (15 m).
Diameter: 1' (0.3 m), rarely larger.
Leaves: opposite; 2 1/2-4 1/2" (6-11 cm) long, 1 1/4-2 3/4" (3-7 cm) wide. Elliptical, edges slightly wavy, with 5-6 long, curved veins on each side of midvein. Shiny green and nearly hairless above, paler with woolly hairs beneath; turning orange and red in autumn.
Bark: reddish-brown, thin, smooth or scaly.
Twigs: slender, light green and hairy when young, becoming dark red of blackish.
Flowers: 1/4" (6 mm) wide; with 4 greenish-yellow petals; many crowded together in a head 1" (2.5 cm) wide; bordered by usually 6 (sometimes 4-7) large, elliptical, short-pointed, white (sometimes pinkish), petal-like bracts 1 1/2-2 1/2" (4-6 cm) long, altogether forming a huge "flower" 4-6" (10-15 cm) wide; in spring and early summer, often again in late summer or autumn.
Fruit: 1/2" (12 mm) long; elliptical, shiny red or orange; thin, mealy, bitter pulp; stone containing 1-2 seeds; many crowded together in head 1 1/2" (4 cm) across; maturing in autumn.
Habitat Moist soils in mountains in understory of coniferous forests.
Range SW. British Columbia south to W. Oregon and in mountains to S. California; to 6000' (1829 m).
Discussion Pacific Dogwood is one of the most handsome native ornamental trees on the Pacific Coast, with very showy flowers and fruit. The head of flowers with surrounding, petal-like bracts resembles a huge flower and is commonly so called. The "flower" is larger than that of the eastern Flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida L.), usually having 6 bracts instead of 4. John James Audubon (1780-1851), the American ornithologist and artist, who painted this tree in his famous work Birds of America, named it for its collector, Thomas Nuttall (1786-1859), the British-American botanist and ornithologist.

dogwood

Provincial Tree

Western Red Cedar

Thuja plicata

Western Arborvitae, Canoe Cedar

Description Large to very large tree with tapering trunk, buttressed at base, and with a narrow, conical crown of short, spreading branches drooping at ends; foliage is resinous and aromatic.
Height: 100-175' (30-53 m) or more.
Diameter: 2-8' (0.6-2.4 m) or more.
Leaves: evergreen; opposite in 4 rows; 1/16-1/8" (1.5-3 mm) long. Scalelike, sharp-pointed; side pair keeled, flat pair usually without gland-dot; shiny dark green, usually with whitish marks beneath.
Bark: reddish-brown, thin, fibrous, and shreddy.
Twigs: much-branched in horizontal plane, slightly flattened in fanlike sprays, jointed.
Cones: 1/2" (12 mm) long; clustered and upright from short, curved stalk; elliptical, brown; with 10-12 paired, thin, leathery, sharp-pointed cone-scales; 6 usually bearing 2-3 seeds with 2 wings.
Habitat Moist, slightly acid soils; forming widespread forests with Western Hemlock, also with other conifers.
Range SE. Alaska southeast along coast to NW. California; also SE. British Columbia south in Rocky Mountains to W. Montana; to 3000' (914 m) in north; to 7000' (2134 m) in south.
Discussion Particularly resistant to rot, Western Red Cedar is the chief wood for shingles and one of the most important for siding, utility poles, fenceposts, paneling, outdoor-patio construction, and boatbuilding. Indians of the Northwest Coast carved their famous totem poles and split lumber for their lodges from this durable softwood. The name "Canoe Cedar" refers to the special war canoes hollowed out of giant trunks. Indians also used the wood for boxes, batons, and helmets and the fibrous inner bark for rope, roof thatching, blankets, and cloaks. The largest Western Red Cedar measures 21' (6.4 m) in diameter, ranking second only to the Giant Sequoia among native trees; however, this species is not among the tallest.

cedar

Provincial Bird

Steller's Jay

Cyanocitta stelleri

Description 12-13 1/2" (30-34 cm). The only western jay with a crest. Front half of bird sooty black, rear dark blue-gray, with tight black crossbarring on secondaries and tail. Lightly streaked eyebrow, chin, and forehead markings vary considerably.
Voice A harsh shack-shack-shack-shack or chook-chook-chook call reveals its presence. May also mimic the screams of hawks.
Habitat Coniferous forests: pine and oak woods in southern part of range, small groves and stands of mixed oak and redwood in northern California.
Nesting 3-5 spotted greenish eggs in a neat twiggy bowl lined with small roots and fibers, well hidden in a shady conifer.
Range Largely resident from coastal southern Alaska east to Rocky Mountains and southward into Central America.
Discussion Somewhat more reticent than the Gray Jay, Steller's nevertheless quickly becomes accustomed to campsites and human providers. It is often seen sitting quietly in treetops, surveying the surroundings. Near its nest site, it is silent and shy.

jay

Previous Natural States
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Delaware
Florida
Iowa
Kansas
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Rhode Island
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Washington
West Virginia

Previous Natural Provinces
Manitoba
New Brunswick
Northwest Territories
Ontario
Prince Edward Island
Quebec

The Stellar's Jay is gorgeous!! :) I'd love to see one of them! I guess I have to go out west to do that. I have a brother who lives in B.C. (Victoria), but I've never been out there.

Thank you very much, Heather! :)

Originally posted by Snowwark
The Stellar's Jay is gorgeous!! :) I'd love to see one of them! I guess I have to go out west to do that. I have a brother who lives in B.C. (Victoria), but I've never been out there.

Thank you very much, Heather! :)

It is truly a spectacularly coloured bird. Too bad its cousin, the Grey Jay (Whiskey Jack), is more common, particularly around campsites where they help themselves to any unattended (or not vigilantly attended) food and will land on you to take food.

Originally posted by robsawatsky
It is truly a spectacularly coloured bird. Too bad its cousin, the Grey Jay (Whiskey Jack), is more common, particularly around campsites where they help themselves to any unattended (or not vigilantly attended) food and will land on you to take food.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Are they also cousins to gulls?

:teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter