"The Look"

k8Davies

K8Davies
I am an Adult Disney Fan with no kids (yet) and I am sure other people like me have experienced the below and thought I should share :woohoo:

It is that time of year again when people thoughts turned to holidays. I have already got my holiday booked to the Sunshine State now on my 8th (to Orlando been to Paris 3 times and LA twice) and this will be my 3rd trip in 3 years.

But recently I’ve changed jobs and round the office when they hear about my trip and they find out my no child status - I get as I call it "The Look" then the preceding question that I have been asked a 100 times always by people who haven't been. Why are you going to Disney if you have no Children? And the suspicious feeling that they think there must me something wrong with me to want to go.

I try in vain to explain how great it is whatever age you are but "The Look" still continues. I am sure if I said I was going to any other destination I would be met with oh that's lovely.

So I will have to continue to put up with "The Look" and people thinking I am strange as I fancy a Disney Cruise next year.:rotfl:

Good thing is I know I am in good company as my trip in 6 weeks time 10 of us are going and the youngest is DH and he's 29 and oldest is 62 :banana:

I can totally understand what you mean as I went a couple of times pre kids and got "the look"

We still get it now when we mention we're returning again but it's always from people who've never been. The ones who have get quite excited for you! :yay:

I don't even try explaining myself any more or trying to express how good it is because as far as I'm concerned it's one less person in the queue! :rotfl:

As a family we've even decided that if the kids ever get sick of the parks we'd still probably go to Florida for our hols and experience the beaches and other areas. I just love being in such a warm, clean, exciting and friendly place.

Ahh "The Look" yes I have had a few of them. There are also "The comments". I have even had a comment from one of my non Disney Facebook friends about the amount of Disney people I have on my Facebook. I started going to WDW when my daughter was 5, she is 20 next month. Now we go as 3 adults and all love it. I would have to say there is no other holiday or anything else I look forward to more.

Keep enjoying your adult Disney holidays. :goodvibes

I think most of us Dinsey Nutters are familiar with being on the receiving end of The Look. I have a child and still get it. In fact, even better, I get the comments too. You know those ones people make as you walk away as if they didn't mean for you to hear them, but they make sure that they speak loudly enough to ensure that you do ..... :rolleyes1 I must confess, I quite like being different so it is entertaining for the most part, despite the occasional hurtful remark.

Put it this way, The Look is only given by those who have never been. Had they had the experience and been faced with the enormous task of planning a WDW trip, The Look would be one of admiration and awe .... and of course, oozing with the Green Envy stuff ;)

i used to get that look all the time :confused:, we have been a fair few times pre dd and trust me i get the look now when i tell people i am taking a 20 month old or gasp when we last went she was only 6 months :scared1:! i mean what could a 20 month old possible get out of being in the happiest place on earth - nothing aparantly! :eek: oh well i am not going for her i am going for me! lol :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: the fact that she will also get great enjoyment out of it is a bonus, but in my eyes you are never too old or young to visit - single or as a group doesnt matter as there really is something for everyone. :woohoo:

I actually just feel sorry for all them people that are missing out on visiting prior to them having children or maybe if they never have children they may never go! Oh had never been til he met me and often talks about what he would have missed out on if we hadnt been and fell in love with the place before children, i think it has so much to offer everybody.

I have 3 kids and still get 'the look' and 'the comments'. I was asked the other day - 'Have you booked Disney for yourself or for your kids?' I answered - 'For all of us!' People think that you go under sufferance as an adult, just to please the kids. Why can't people understand that anyone can enjoy a Disney holiday?

Oh had never been til he met me and often talks about what he would have missed out on if we hadnt been and fell in love with the place before children

Good job he met you then. Otherwise he may have ended up as a Look Donor :rotfl:

I get the look a lot too, I got it from my DBF before he came with my family for my 18th... he loved it that much he insisted that we went back just the two of us last year for my 19th and this year for my 20th :goodvibes People need to experience it before they judge... they have no idea what they are missing out on :thumbsup2

I get the look a lot too, I got it from my DBF before he came with my family for my 18th... he loved it that much he insisted that we went back just the two of us last year for my 19th and this year for my 20th :goodvibes People need to experience it before they judge... they have no idea what they are missing out on :thumbsup2

Well on a positive note, those who give The Look are not planning on going to WDW any time soon - so each person who gives it to you is one less person to fight in the stampede for TSM at rope drop ;)

Yup, I've had this 'look' also. And not only from work colleagues, but from friends also. We don't have children of our own yet either.

I've come to learn and understand that not everyone's sprinkled with pixie dust and sadly, they just don't get it. I no longer let it bother me. I think to myself, there's always worse things I could be into. My Disney obsession is harmless compared to what other people I know do with there cash :eek:

If people don't like that I enjoy Disney and it's parks/films/merchandise then it's tough. I'll continue to save to go back to WDW, buy my DVD's and items from the Disney Store and quite happily enjoy myself, despite them thinking I'm sad for doing so :thumbsup2 More fool them for 'growing up' ;)

Its good to know I'm not alone and between us I'm sure we can convert a more few people to the greatness that is WDW.

As on our trip we are taking 3 newbies and they will be Disney Mad by the time I've finished with them. :banana:

When I read the thread I thought you were reffering to what I ive dh when he is P*****g me off in public:rotfl2:

My Mum ad Dad took their first trip on their own last year and got plenty of 'looks,' lol. I don't see anything strange about it though o_O I plan on having my honeymoon there and I couldn't give a monkeys what people think!

I don't think I have ever got 'the look' from friends or people at home. The only comments I have got was from one woman at work who often tells me that I should have kids as I would be a great mum with all the Disney trips my kids would go on (not going to happen, but my niece and nephew will have a few nice Disney trips in a few years time once they are older.) I have got 'the look' at few times whilst in line at WDW waiting to have my picture taken with a character without a child with me!

I get the look and it really annoys me :mad: It annoys me when you tell people all excitedly that ur going to WDW and they look at you like ur an idiot then ask if you have children! The worst is when people say arent you a little old for disney and roll there eyes :headache: I feel sorry for these people who will never know how much fun there missing out on :rotfl:

Oh all the time! They thought i was completely crazy taking my daughterwhen she was 5 months old too.

Nothing compares to the looks i got when i told people i was getting married at Disney though. Mind you when our wedding photos came though and they saw the photos of the reception at Epcot with illumnations they soon shut up :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter