The List: Things to bring to WDWCP!

For those of you over 21 you will want to bring a bottle opener and corkscrew.. my apt. was the only one in the bldg. with a corkscrew so we had people over all the time borrowing it.
Over the door shoe racks not only for your room cause you and roommate can use it to stash shoes, belts etc. but we also used a smaller one in our bathroom to place all of our random stuff like hair ties, chapstick whatever in.
Can opener we had one but it was very used (gross), I am guessing it was there since the begining of Vista.
Some nice professional clothes to wear to traditions and have those in one of your bags that your going to unpack first. I had traditions on my second day there and was able to have it iron and hanging in my closet while everything was still in by suitcases.
If you are driving, you don't have to drive everywhere. You can take the bus but if you are working like a late shift or an after normal hours event then do drive to work. I worked many events after hours and we (fellow cp's) would be stuck trying to call Vista to get a van to pick up if no one drove.
FYI for those on another timezone like say Pacific which is now three hours behind. Try and switch your sleep pattern while at home. It took me over a week to get use to the time difference. A few of us from AZ didn't go to bed till almost 4am the first night since it was still early to us and the traditions bus left at like 630am. It was rough first morning spent drinking alot of pop in class.

The walmart near the vista way or w.e apartsments...the one the bus goes to...does anyone know the zip for that? if accepted...im gunna drive and ill use site-to-store, you just order the stuff you need online and it ships it to the walmart location..rather convienent eh.

Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #5420
3250 Vineland Road
Kissimmee, FL 34746
(407) 397-1125

it's on 535-right down the road from vista, past the outlet stores

Hey!

Here's what helped me during my first program:

Hangers: like everyone has said, there are none in Orlando during move-in
Bed Risers: I stored my suitcases under my bed so I wouldn't take up closet space
Non-stick pan for eggs: I love those flat square ones!
Blender: I'm a smoothie girl and they don't provide one; they don't provide a toaster or coffee machine either
Tons of picture frames: i brought some pictures from home, but i mostly filled up my frames with pictures i took there
Dry erase/cork board: to make notes and see where everyone is
Full length mirror to hang on door: gotta perfect that Disney Look!!
Shower Caddy: a lot easier than having to worry about people using your shower stuff
Alarm Clock: a MUST have!
Plastic Drawers: you get like 3 drawers in the dresser that they provide and I needed a lot more space than that!
First Aid kit: this helped me out so many times
Bed Table Lamp: there's not much lighting in the bedrooms
Router: you definitely need this to get wireless internet. just make sure to set up a password so only your roomies can use the network-we had so many people stealing our signal at first and it made it sooo slow
DVD Player: and a TV if no one else is bringing it
Bed Pad: the beds are not that uncomfortable, but it always helps to get the best sleep you can
Camera: i took over 6,000 pictures in my short 4 months down there!

OK so this list may seem long, but it;s jsut the everyday thing that you use at home that make living there a lot more comfortable.

I suggest DEFINITELY bringing a car. My didn't have one and the bus system isn't bad at all, I just know if I wasn't lucky to meet people with a car, I would not have enjoyed myself as much. It's so much easier to have the freedom of going where you want, when you want.

I would try to bring as much with you as possible: even toiletries because if you have to rebuy everything down there, your $300 dollars they suggest bringing will go in 1 trip to walmart :(

I would try to figure it out with your roommates for someone to bring a wireless router so everyone inthe apt can have wireless internet!

Hey!

Here's what helped me during my first program:

Hangers: like everyone has said, there are none in Orlando during move-in
Bed Risers: I stored my suitcases under my bed so I wouldn't take up closet space
Non-stick pan for eggs: I love those flat square ones!
Blender: I'm a smoothie girl and they don't provide one; they don't provide a toaster or coffee machine either
Tons of picture frames: i brought some pictures from home, but i mostly filled up my frames with pictures i took there
Dry erase/cork board: to make notes and see where everyone is
Full length mirror to hang on door: gotta perfect that Disney Look!!
Shower Caddy: a lot easier than having to worry about people using your shower stuff
Alarm Clock: a MUST have!
Plastic Drawers: you get like 3 drawers in the dresser that they provide and I needed a lot more space than that!
First Aid kit: this helped me out so many times
Bed Table Lamp: there's not much lighting in the bedrooms
Router: you definitely need this to get wireless internet. just make sure to set up a password so only your roomies can use the network-we had so many people stealing our signal at first and it made it sooo slow
DVD Player: and a TV if no one else is bringing it
Bed Pad: the beds are not that uncomfortable, but it always helps to get the best sleep you can
Camera: i took over 6,000 pictures in my short 4 months down there!

OK so this list may seem long, but it;s jsut the everyday thing that you use at home that make living there a lot more comfortable.

I suggest DEFINITELY bringing a car. My didn't have one and the bus system isn't bad at all, I just know if I wasn't lucky to meet people with a car, I would not have enjoyed myself as much. It's so much easier to have the freedom of going where you want, when you want.

I would try to bring as much with you as possible: even toiletries because if you have to rebuy everything down there, your $300 dollars they suggest bringing will go in 1 trip to walmart :(

This is a great list! It will definitely help me when I start packing when I get back home after I graduate;)

Recommendations:

*SPACE SAVER BAGS. I used them when flying, and I was able to bring a TON more stuff. But thats something to get beforehand.

*FLY SOUTHWEST. You get two free bags, and you pick your seat. I hate to pay for my second checked item.

*DO SITE-TO-STORE FOR BEDDING. They have super cheap sheets at walmart. I bought mine for (don't quote me, im going off the top of my head) $6 (each for a flat sheet and then a fitted one). It was the mainstays brand. I just looked on the site, and couldn't find them, but I have seen it in stores around here. Even if you buy it here, then do site-to-store for the comforter, you'll save. I'm just going to use space saver bags, that's what I did last time and I still had room.

*MONEY FOR WORK SHOES. You dont know exactly where you're working, and what shoes they will require. I had to borrow money from my family to buy them in the beginning. There is the shoe truck that you can buy shoes from, and it comes out of your paycheck, however I didn't find it til after I bought my work shoes. (I bought something cheap to last until I could get better ones. My cheap ones we 12, and the better ones I bought were 20 from Payless)

*A GOOD ATTITUDE. Try, try, try not to get stressed out during that first day. I saw a lot of conflict that first day between roomies because one got stressed (mostly due to parents). Usually, its stupid stuff, nothing to do with Disney either, just people realizing all of what they need at walmart.

*TOILET PAPER. Others said they didn't have any; we had some, but it wasn't the best. I like soft TP. Just a roll in your suitcase (they actually have travel sized TP at Target for a dollar), and you'll thank yourself later.

*PICTURES FROM HOME. They can help once the homesickness sets in. Print a couple, like 3 - 5, to tape along your mirror, and you'll be glad you did.

*CLEANING SUPPLIES. Do site-to-store, just so you don't have to fight for the last air freshener for the bathroom. I highly recommend the Scrubbing Bubbles toilet wand (with the disposable heads), as it's cheap and works amazingly.

*THOSE TUB CLING THINGS SO YOU DON'T SLIP IN THE SHOWER. I wish I had had them. I always meant to buy them, but keep forgetting when I was at walmart. They're cheap, and thin, so slide it in your purse if you have to.

*ALARM CLOCK. My cell phone likes to turn itself off randomly, thereby turning off my alarm. Can't be late for work! I bought my alarm clock there that also played my iPod. Best $40 ever spent (Site-To-Store)

*SHOWER CURTAIN. Because you know someone's cleaning it when you HAVE to shower for work. Bring an extra one so you wont have that issue.

Some things that have crossed my mind. Its pretty early, so if I think of anything else, I will let you know.

RE: CLOTHES (how much to bring) - I recommend the following
3 pairs of shorts, and 2 pairs of jeans (if you're fall only, then one pair of shorts, the rest jeans. Its gonna cool down right after you get there.)
5 tops (casual, hang out type)
2 nice pants/skirts for class/networking opportunities
2 nice shirts for same reason
1 pair dress shoes
2 pair comfy shoes
2 pair flip flops
This is a bare minimum recommendation. Feel free to bring more (I know I will! lol)

Thank you so much for this info. I booked my flight with Southwest per your suggestion and saved a bundle and I can check two bags! Thanks a lot!:woohoo::hug:

Thank you so much for this info. I booked my flight with Southwest per your suggestion and saved a bundle and I can check two bags! Thanks a lot!:woohoo::hug:

i did the same too victoria! :) the checking two bags was the biggest perk

Hey everyone,

For those flying Southwest.. here is a little tip I found after traveling for six months on the road. You can check boxes on Southwest the largest size is 20x20x20 inches. Just make sure to watch the weight on whatever you pack anything over 50lbs and under 90lbs is going to cost an extra bag fee. I think its like 20 dollars.

Tengo una Pregunta!!!!!!!

Ok about the bedriser thing. I'm afraid of bedrises. (1) I cant trust plastic up my bed up... (2) They might be too high, I'm short. Ok the question is, is it possible to fit your suitcases/duffels under the bed w/o the bedrisers or are the beds that low???

They most likely wont fit. We have two closests in our apartment though that fit all of our suitcases.

They most likely wont fit. We have two closests in our apartment though that fit all of our suitcases.

Ok cool thanks:thumbsup2, I'm just making sure my numerous suitcases and duffels wont get i anyone's way (I always overpack.)

Hey everyone,

For those flying Southwest.. here is a little tip I found after traveling for six months on the road. You can check boxes on Southwest the largest size is 20x20x20 inches. Just make sure to watch the weight on whatever you pack anything over 50lbs and under 90lbs is going to cost an extra bag fee. I think its like 20 dollars.

I love Southwest! I have half a mind to write them and thank them for their cheap fare and checked baggage amenities. It really helps those of us who aren't driving down.

Ok cool thanks:thumbsup2, I'm just making sure my numerous suitcases and duffels wont get i anyone's way (I always overpack.)

Here's a thought: You could pack your things in boxes then collapse them once you get there and unpack. Then store the flat boxes under your bed or in the closet. Btw I don't think I will be using that much closet space. (I hide my skeletons elsewhere, lol) I will most likely use it for hanging up my business clothes and a few suitcases. the drawers on the other hand....I fold most of my clothes. If you don't get bed risers I am sure we can work something out. The last thing I want happening is you falling off the bed. :guilty:

If you do fly with boxes to orlando line the inside of the box with a contractor trash bag (heavy duty) or regular bag and then throw your stuff in there. Duct tape all the sides and then put your info on it. I would do this just incase it rains so your stuff won't get wet. Also don't know if they still do this but at the end of the program UPS use to come onsite to the apts. so you could mail stuff home or buy boxes at a discount.

I love Southwest! I have half a mind to write them and thank them for their cheap fare and checked baggage amenities. It really helps those of us who aren't driving down.

This time around Southwest wasn't so nice to me! I tried booking my flight w/ them and it would cost $179. My United flight was only $134 and with me checking 2 bags it will cost me another $40 (i think, not sure) so about $5 cheaper then Southwest, lol.

Here's a thought: You could pack your things in boxes then collapse them once you get there and unpack. Then store the flat boxes under your bed or in the closet. Btw I don't think I will be using that much closet space. (I hide my skeletons elsewhere, lol) I will most likely use it for hanging up my business clothes and a few suitcases. the drawers on the other hand....I fold most of my clothes. If you don't get bed risers I am sure we can work something out. The last thing I want happening is you falling off the bed. :guilty:

I usually fold my clothes too. We are going to have one pitifull looking closet. I can hear the crickets already (*chirp chirp chirp chirp*) Kidding.

If you do fly with boxes to orlando line the inside of the box with a contractor trash bag (heavy duty) or regular bag and then throw your stuff in there. Duct tape all the sides and then put your info on it. I would do this just incase it rains so your stuff won't get wet. Also don't know if they still do this but at the end of the program UPS use to come onsite to the apts. so you could mail stuff home or buy boxes at a discount.
This is a good idea. Thanks for this!
IF you are driving....or even mailing clothes to yourself I found these nifty luggage ideas:

http://store.uhaul.com/Boxes/Clothing_moving_boxes/Shorty_Wardrobe__Box

So you dont have to worry about wrinkled clothes and having to put everything on hangers when you get there...I'm sure it's collapsible too
Great idea, thanks for the link. These boxes are surprisingly inexpensive too.
This time around Southwest wasn't so nice to me! I tried booking my flight w/ them and it would cost $179. My United flight was only $134 and with me checking 2 bags it will cost me another $40 (i think, not sure) so about $5 cheaper then Southwest, lol.
Where are you flying from?
I usually fold my clothes too. We are going to have one pitifull looking closet. I can hear the crickets already (*chirp chirp chirp chirp*) Kidding.
Crickets? If I have to I don't mind buying some plastic drawers for extra needed space from Wal-mart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter