The "Get that Magic Flowing" PTR

cruisingteacher

Mouseketeer
The time has come, the walrus said to speak of many things......

It's time to start my PTR.

Now I originally thought I wouldn't write a PTR, because I really don't have a lot of planning to do..... but then as life continued to throw things at me I realised that this trip and immersing myself in these boards was making me cope better and feel better and gosh darn-it, I wanted to write something.

So it may not be the traditional PTR (if such a thing exists), I will share my plans, and thoughts and hopes, but I also want to share memories of the Magic of Disney and travel and make this a place to come home to while I wait out my ticker.

So I invite you along on this journey of words, perhaps some photos and invite you also to share your memories and magic if you are also waiting out a ticker, or just feeling it.

With that, I officially welcome you to my world.

The trip: March 24-28 2014

Hotel: Santa Fe

The Player: Me, Myself and I aka Melissa. (cue the first of many selfies)

I am a 29 year old teacher who was bitten by both the Disney bug and Travel bug early in life.

I originate from Toronto(ish) Ontario, Canada, but have called 3 other places 'home'.
1. Windsor, Ontario for University and Teacher's College = 5 years
2. Jiangmen, China for 10 months teaching
3.Cairo/Giza, Egypt- going on 3 years.

I teach internationally, currently at a Manitoba accredited school (so my Grade 12's get a Manitoba diploma).

I teach Grade 12 English, Grade 12 Psychology and 9-12 Dramatic Art. I love my job!

I went on my first trip around the time I turned 1 and really have been travelling ever since.

My first real trip to Disney was when I was 7 to Walt Disney World, epic love:):) We returned several times, and often included Universal Studios and sometimes even Busch Gardens and/or SeaWorld.

But when I was a teenager my mum introduced me to Cruising.... we were hooked! And theme parks took a bit of a back stage role.

Not to mention my 5 years of University being also a 5 year break from vacations.

But the magic was rekindled a bit when I took a weekend trip to Hong Kong in October 2010 and went to Disneyland. Now I love Halloween and knew this would be one of my few opportunities to see a Disney park in this theme and I loved it. (I may share some photos later on)

Then in March 2012, I went to Paris with 2 co-workers, and they came with me to Disneyland Paris for 1 day (both of them had never been to a Disney park - future post about this later) we had a great time with many pictures- sadly those pictures were lost when my laptop was stolen last year (they were some of the only Paris pictures I didn't back up)

So I am going back this year, with a dedicated DLRP stay, and super excited as this marks the first time I have ever stayed within walking distance to a Disney park.

I look forward to sharing the rest of this journey with anyone who wants to read along :)

I am sharing one of the things life is throwing at me...

I had to say goodbye to one of my dogs today.... She lives back in Toronto, so I had to wait for the official word, but the last month it's been touch and go with her.

She would have been 16 years old at the end of November, so she had a long and happy life.... but it's still really hard to say goodbye to my puppy, and one of those times where living on the other side of the world feels so empty and lonely.

Anyways, here is a picture of the sweetest and funniest dogs ever, Matilda... and I hope to see her on the Rainbow Bridge one day.

and one more of her wanting an extreme close up

Could totally use some of that Disney magic right about now.....

Just wanted to say you'll be there the same time as me! I'm there from the 23rd-27th for my Birthday staying in the Disneyland Hotel!

Well exciting!!! :flower3: I hope we both encounter short wait times and lots of pixie dust!!!

I really hope so! We (my mum and I) went in July last year and it was pretty hellish for queue times, I don't think I'll ever go in peak season again!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Reading along :surfweb:
we are there the week before you it's still so far off.
Sorry to about Matilda :hug:
Xx

Reading along :surfweb:
we are there the week before you it's still so far off.
Sorry to about Matilda :hug:
Xx

:welcome:

Thank you for joining!

And I am so happy you also have a trip booked! You know what they say, the best time of year to go to Disney are on days that end in Y!!! :banana:

and thank you for the hug :)

Let's talk booking.

I have booked many trips in my lifetime. In fact, I spent about 2 years working as a Travel Agent (part time while I was a supply teacher in Ontario). I have seen and worked on many booking sites, mostly Cruises but also hotels, flights and in North America and Europe and Asia.

The process of booking my hotel at the Santa Fe took me over 2 hours. :confused3:crazy2::faint:

Let's back up a bit first though...

Why This trip and Why now?

I had a rough summer. Still going through some of that, no need to share it on here needless to say a dose of happy was needed. I work as a teacher and my school holidays for this year are 1 week October, 3 weeks Christmas, 1 week March. I told my mum I was considering returning to Paris for a trip to Disney for March, and I wanted to stay in a resort so I wouldn't go the whole week, 3-4 days max. But I wouldn't book until after Christmas.

So I arrive back in Egypt at the end of August and start pricing random trips out. (school start was delayed by 2 weeks so I had a lot of free time on my hands) I found an amazing hotel deal for DLRP. Up to 40% on certain dates for the Spring. I of course first look at the DLH (duh a dream) and that was about 1000 Euros.... I then see the HNY for about 600 Euros.... then I find the Santa Fe and Cheyenne for less than 300 Euros....

Then I look for flights,... and I found sweet Air France from Cairo direct to Paris for $400 CAD, but only if I booked 5 days or more.... so I go back to the hotel website and find out for just over 300 Euros I can get my hotel package for the 4 nights 5 days.

Yay, let's book this thing...I mean this offer expires mid October...it's mid- September... I'm running out of time!

I get my flight done, I get my hotel....wait, why does it say I live in Ireland? go to google for help.... find a US site.... okay now it says I live in the US...... go to google..... try to phone DLP....no answer, try again, no answer.....email DLP..... go to Facebook and message DLP (getting more and more frustrated)..... finally the international booking site loads... and I get stuff booked.... but it's a different price.... (oh don't get me started on the UK Expedia site, they wanted 1000 Euros for the Santa Fe!!!!).... luckily the price is only about 40-50 Euros more, so I book. Successfully - except I cannot make any changes, pre-book anything or even enjoy looking at my booking in my online profile (kind of sad).

But I got my confirmation letter and heck, who can be sad when you are going to Disney!!!

(side note, the person who responded to my frantic message on the DLP Facebook page was super nice!)

Why the Santa Fe?

Okay, well I really wanted the DLH or the HNY but no matter how many numbers I crunched I just could not justify the price for my solo trip.... if I was going with someone to split the cost with, maybe.... but I have never spent a lot of time at hotels and I didn't see this trip being different.

Then it came down the Santa Fe or the Cheyenne.... well, I kind of hate Country (music, theming, cowboys kind of all of it).... so I went with the non-country one (I admit though, if I had a small child it totally looks fun! ) Then I learned of the gas/petrol station near my hotel... that might sell cheaper drinks/snacks....and was sold!

I was also determined to stay on the resort.... as I have not really done this, at least not where I could walk to a park!

:welcome:

Thank you for joining!

And I am so happy you also have a trip booked! You know what they say, the best time of year to go to Disney are on days that end in Y!!! :banana:

and thank you for the hug :)

Sounds like you need a :hug:
Just read your up date I'm like that if I get something in my head it has to be done there and then.
I've got 2 trips booked for next year :cool1:
March and October, we are going October and staying off site for the 1st as it's a lot cheaper.
Every days a good as long as your in disney ;)
The Santa Fe looks great with the cars look now.

Sounds like you need a :hug:
Just read your up date I'm like that if I get something in my head it has to be done there and then.
I've got 2 trips booked for next year :cool1:
March and October, we are going October and staying off site for the 1st as it's a lot cheaper.
Every days a good as long as your in disney ;)
The Santa Fe looks great with the cars look now.

Oh man that nagging voice "you want it, you can afford it, book it!"

I have a new one.... but it's for the Art of Animation resort in WDW, because of the Little Mermaid themed rooms.... I HAVE TO STAY IN ONE!!! I have even looked out reward flights (I have so many Avios).... but I don't have a work schedule for next year....as soon as I do though.... if I have a week off in October again I am so booking WDW!!!

Apparently I am not a teacher for the love of it, I just need the money and holidays to satisfy my travel addiction. *sigh* tough life.

I actually looked at some of the off-site hotels for this trip (again, Avios) but decided I really wanted to stay on resort and not have to use the bus.

I felt like updating this thread, but today is just a story day.

A story of my first trip to DLP.... 1 day in March 2012.

But let me start at the beginning.

I arrived in Egypt in August 2011 (after working the previous school year in China)... and talk of breaks and vacation came up. From day 1 I said "I'm going to Paris". I would say it has been one of the cities on my Bucket List forever... and now I lived a 5 hour flight away!

So as the year progressed I picked up 2 colleagues who were to attend this trip with me....3 ladies in Paris for 8 days.... for the most part we had similar plans, and then I said to them "I am going to Disneyland for 1 day. I do not require or expect you to go with me, but I'm just putting that out there". Eventually they both said they'd go, and I pre-purchased our 1 day 2 park tickets online and they paid me in cash.

Now, I had no idea but neither one of them had ever been to a Disney park and they didn't really get it. I had said we would be there for opening and I would stay until the closing fireworks, but they were free to leave whenever they wished. We also agreed that I was in charge since I was the Disney expert (see Disney Drill Sargeant).

With this new knowledge I made more of an overall plan to our trip, hitting some of the classic attractions and sharing the Disney Magic I loved....So with me urging us along we did a lot.... I literally said things like "we can sit on the rides" and "We can eat later"..... see, I come from the school of theme parks- open them and shut them down.... move move move.... the kind of vacation you need a vacation from!

We hit the following rides (no idea what order as all my trip photos are gone)
Small world
Pirates of the Caribbean
Winnie The Pooh
Snow White
Star Tours
The Storybook boat thing
We saw the Dragon
The Disneyland railroad (whole circuit)
Studio Tram behind the scenes tour
I know we saw at least one of the magique shows (either cinemagique or Animagique but I actually think we saw both)

And we saw the stars and cars parade and whatever parade was going on in the Disneyland park (yes we saw both)

We avoided the one rainstorm while in the magique show (heck I'll take credit for anything)

And of course we saw the fireworks.

What we didn't do was eat.... I think I let my 2 ladies get a snack, and then everything was closing but we did find a sandwich shop open so we ate while waiting for the fireworks.

Neither of these 2 ladies thought they would stay out the day.... but both were with me until the end...and wearing Minnie Mouse ears.... (I bought the Sorcerer Mickey hat with ears- and we had a great shot of our shadows with ears :( ). They both kind of thought they would bail around 'lunch time' (no actual lunch was eaten)

Instead one of them was brought to tears and she confessed that she now really regrets not bringing her children to Disney (they are grown).... and both we satisfied with the magic I had 'promised'....and pleased with my drill sergeant ways as they felt they got to see so much in the 1 day...

I was pleased too.... I mean we did all those attractions, enjoyed the ambiance, took many photos (I had a couple hundred), and shopped....

My first time taking anyone to Disney, and they stuck out my game plan and loved their day.... These are some memories I will cherish, because it's not everyday you can share someone's 'first time' reaction.

Until I feel like sharing again, thank you to those who are reading along and may the dreams that you wish come true.... and pixie dust sprinkle you all.

:tink: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

Great update !!
Sounds like you converted the 2 ladies to your disney ways, and wore them out how much in one day :thumbsup2
I'm so pleased I've taken my children to disney I've some great pics one of my favs is of my twins when they where about 2 (their 2nd trip) we where staying at the hotel NY they where in their buggy in the lobby mickey came over to meet them alex is stretching his arms out for a cuddle and nathan is covering his eyes one of my happy times.
I would hate to lose my pics you need to go back to take them all again.
Btw the little mermaid room sounds fab we went to WDW this year it's fab but time dif didn't go down we'll with the boys, so sticking to DLP for a while.
Staying in a GF room at the SL now super excited xx

Great update !!
Sounds like you converted the 2 ladies to your disney ways, and wore them out how much in one day :thumbsup2
I'm so pleased I've taken my children to disney I've some great pics one of my favs is of my twins when they where about 2 (their 2nd trip) we where staying at the hotel NY they where in their buggy in the lobby mickey came over to meet them alex is stretching his arms out for a cuddle and nathan is covering his eyes one of my happy times.
I would hate to lose my pics you need to go back to take them all again.
Btw the little mermaid room sounds fab we went to WDW this year it's fab but time dif didn't go down we'll with the boys, so sticking to DLP for a while.
Staying in a GF room at the SL now super excited xx

That sounds like a great picture of your twins! I know my parents used our video camera on our first two trips to Disney (1992 and 1993).... and I used to watch those all the time (I might even splurge to have them transferred onto dvd)...

I am planning on taking so many pics! Just a shame the 20th anniversary stuff will be all gone.... I was pleasantly surprised when I went to see it all, but I'm just happy to be going again.

Oh I am still dreaming about the Little Mermaid room..... and I have decided that I am going to Disney again next (school) year.... just don't know yet if it will be DLP again or WDW.... Have to wait on my school calendar to be released first. As soon as it's final I will pounce (as I'm hoping to get my flights booked with Avios to help save money)

I can't imagine the time difference doing well with little ones, I still struggle!

The GF rooms seem lovely! I hope you truly enjoy your time there!!

I felt the need to do some more writing, and since I know people are reading this (or opening the thread at least) there is a part for you to answer with replies (shamelessly hoping more people will post in the hopes that even more will read and thus I will be popular by the time my TR comes out - or not)

I've been feeling meh lately, life, work, being single....whatever. And I can only look at DLP ark maps so many times before I start to go cross-eyed AND it's way too early to know what the park hours will be in March, where the EMH will be and what the weather might be....

So I decided to watch some Disney movies. :happytv:

Last night it was "Lilo and Stitch" and I think I was crying the entire film! I mean full on bawling, sniffling and blowing my nose :sad: :sad: ... I have totally seen this movie before so I don't know what gives :confused3 :confused3

Whatever, I still totally loved the experience and fell in love with :stitch: :stitch2: :stitch: :stitch2: all over again! And I hope I get to meet him while I'm at DLP.

Today I went for a different feel, and did "The Incredibles" I totally heart this film. And somehow I made it through without crying once!! I am not sure I have ever gotten through a Disney film without a single tear (I must have cried them all out the previous night with "Lilo and Stitch")

So I am totally feeling some Disney Magic in me pixiedust: and it feels good! :worship:

So what Disney film really gets to you? (go ahead and make my day by posting :thumbsup2 )

Just me again !
Toy story 3 omg getsme every time my ds1 loved all the toy story movies so we pretty much seen the first two hundreds of times when the third came out me ds1 and the twins went to see it I can honestly say I cried for days after ds1 was about 13 at time so it was a bit liked he was grown up to, still cry now.
Toy story 1 2 and 3
Lion king
Beauty and the beast
Little mermaid
Princess and the frog
Finding nemo
Snow White
I fact I love them all
Hope you not feeling to sad :hug: xxx

Just me again !
Toy story 3 omg getsme every time my ds1 loved all the toy story movies so we pretty much seen the first two hundreds of times when the third came out me ds1 and the twins went to see it I can honestly say I cried for days after ds1 was about 13 at time so it was a bit liked he was grown up to, still cry now.
Toy story 1 2 and 3
Lion king
Beauty and the beast
Little mermaid
Princess and the frog
Finding nemo
Snow White
I fact I love them all
Hope you not feeling to sad :hug: xxx

Thank you for posting!!! :cloud9:

Toy Story 3 did tear me up some.... and I am not a big Toy Story Fan, though I do see and appreciate the appeal of the films!

I have yet to see Princess and the Frog, but pretty much agree... I enjoy just about all the films (though I will likely never watch Bambi or Dumbo again too sad for me)

Thanks for the hugs.... not feeling too sad, just not feeling too glad so to speak.... But hanging out in these boards usually helps, and talking Disney always helps so thanks for always posting in here :banana: :banana: :banana:

Thank you for posting!!! :cloud9:

Toy Story 3 did tear me up some.... and I am not a big Toy Story Fan, though I do see and appreciate the appeal of the films!

I have yet to see Princess and the Frog, but pretty much agree... I enjoy just about all the films (though I will likely never watch Bambi or Dumbo again too sad for me)

Thanks for the hugs.... not feeling too sad, just not feeling too glad so to speak.... But hanging out in these boards usually helps, and talking Disney always helps so thanks for always posting in here :banana: :banana: :banana:
Toy story will always make me weep as it was Adam fav and he's big now like Andy.
You must watch princess and the frog have you seen tangled ?
They are both classics but I do love all things disney :thumbsup2
I love DLP that much going next October for my 40th we are going for a week at the end of the month as I need to do the Halloween party, we are going dressed as cowboys super excited
The question was asked what we doing for your 40th and it was the only place I new I would be happy everyday :)
Must be hard being away from your family
Trying to get twins to bed while dising xx

Toy story will always make me weep as it was Adam fav and he's big now like Andy.
You must watch princess and the frog have you seen tangled ?
They are both classics but I do love all things disney :thumbsup2
I love DLP that much going next October for my 40th we are going for a week at the end of the month as I need to do the Halloween party, we are going dressed as cowboys super excited
The question was asked what we doing for your 40th and it was the only place I new I would be happy everyday :)
Must be hard being away from your family
Trying to get twins to bed while dising xx

I have seen Tangled and I really enjoyed it....might watch it tonight too!

That is so exciting, planning a trip for your 40th! I can't imagine a better way to spend it- Halloween in Disney!!!! The cowboy themed costumes are a great idea!

It is hard at times, I just had a voice chat with my mum and it was nice.... I can't wait to be home for Christmas though!

I cheer you on for raising twins and having the energy to do anything else!! lol :cheer2:

I am on day 3 of a 3 day weekend and loving it.... only a 4 day work week then we are off for the week! wish I was going to Disney.... instead I have 3 days at a hotel booked and I might check out their spa...

A pleasant evening to you :)

Well I am just coming off a 2 hour chat with my mum and she put an idea into my head...and I thought 'Well, may as well update here about it"

We talked about a lot of things..... and of course I bring up my current re-obsession with all things Disney....

I tell her all about Art of Animation resort in WDW and how I want to go there...and I quietly mention maybe next year? and asks if she wants to come...

she doesn't sound thrilled.... but then she says "Why don't you go to Hong Kong?"

and I stop.... and think.... and really it's not a bad idea (actually might be cheaper to get to Hong Kong from Cairo than Orlando).... and I just looked into their website, and 3 new things have opened since my last visit Mystic Point (basically a Phantom Manor ride and some other things in the area) the Toy Story Land has opened (they had started work when I was there last) and Grissly Gulch (aka BTM).......

So now I'm waiting for my schedule next year to come out so I can compare Hong Kong AND Orlando....

Go mum....

oh and she doesn't seem to want to go with me..... but she says I can do whatever I want with my money and overall supports my love of anything to do with travel really....

Oh the decisions surrounding my life.....

On that note.... she and I also discussed the idea of me staying here more long term... since job prospects are dismal back home and I am finally 'making money' (aka debt free now)

\In a very happy place....

Still reading along :)
Hong Kong how exciting I'm well jel !!!
Glad you in a happy place.
Listen to your mother they know best :thumbsup2
Hope you got better weather than we have in England rained all day today xxx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter