The Emmys and ABC

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
Judging from the recent ratings for the show, the Emmys seem to be of interest only to us Hollywood types. But in case anyone is interested, here’s a quick blurb from this morning’s LA Times:

“The Emmys added insult to injury, meanwhile, for beleaguered ABC, which after a dismal season ratings-wise was bypassed in virtually all key series categories, the main exception being the best actress nomination for Garner. The network's nomination total plummeted from 63 last year to 35.”

Out of the 90 “big category” nominations, ABC got 5.

‘Dinotopia’ for Best Miniseries
‘The 74th Annual Academy Awards for Best Music, Variety or Comedy Special
‘Politically Incorrect’ for Best Music or Variety Series
Jennifer Garner in ‘Alias’ for Best Actress in a Drama Series
Victor Garber, ‘Alias’ for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

To put this in perspective, NBC had 27, HBO had 22 and CBS had 12. Lower is TNT with 6, Fox tied with ABC at 5 and Showtime had 4. The rest were scattered among other networks.

As for ABC’s chances, ‘Dinotopia’ is up against HBO’s can’t miss ‘Band of Brothers’; ‘Politically Incorrect’ is up against Leno & Letterman, the Oscars are up against the Olympics and two 9/11 tributes, Ms. Garner is against the cast of ‘Six Feet Under’ and Mr. Garber is up against the cast of ‘The West Wing’.

At least Michael can save some money on the tux rental this year.

I'm not one to necessarily tout ABC for its great programming, but I am very happy that ABC's best show - ALIAS - got two major nominations. I just don't understand why this show hasn't picked up an audience yet. It is a thrill-a-minute, edge-of-your-seat roller coaster ride...and that Jennifer Garner ain't too bad on the eyes either.

RyMickey

What is most interesting to me is how many cable networks garnered Nominations.

Part of Alias's problem with the public is certainly the lack of general draw at ABC. It's kinda like baseball, you need a little protection in the lineup.

I don't understand how the show could have a nomination for best actress and best supporting actor and not be nominated for best show?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter