the dreaded airplane ride w/ a baby...

I agree with the earlier posts about getting the child their own seat and using a car seat. This seems to make all the difference.

One thing I want to reemphasize is taking a variety of snacks. We have flown several times with our 3 DS's. However, when our oldest was about 9 or 10 months old we flew on a short-trip from Denver to KC and he wouldn't stop crying. That was our worst trip as he got hungry and it took us a while to figure it out. Once we obtained some snacks for him, he calmed right down. (PS -- this trip was hard too as he was a lap child and didn't have his own seat)

Keep an open mind, and it will be fine. We fly with two year old twins, they have flown at 1 year, 18 mts, and 2 years. They will be flying again at 2 and a half. I have a 3 hour flight a little less, and I simply pick an early morning or end of the day flight, So they are more apt to sleep. I always purchase each baby a seat, and I do bring a carseat for each, It is the same rules as in the car, they have to sit in the carseat, I do not let them run in the isle of the plane, of course its not to long of a flight. I also bring tons of snack size treats, goldfish, fruit snacks, and My own bottles filled already, In my experience they have fallen asleep about a half an hour into the flight. And wake about 20 minutes before landing. Good luck with a little planning it will be fine.

I flew with my DD as a lap baby probably a half dozen times and possibly more. The real danger for a lap baby is turbulence so I bought a Baby B'Air http://www.babybair.com/ for her. I bought (and sold :)) mine on eBay. It is a comfortable harness that keeps her securely attached to my lap belt in the event of turbulence that might cause her to be thrown from my arms. I used a similar item provided by British Airways for take-off and landing when we flew to London.

Honestly, I found 9 months old a complete breeze for traveling. 3 years old is much, much more challenging. I had to check my car seat on my last trip to Hawaii because my DD wouldn't keep her feet off the seat in front of her and the car seat gave her that extra few (annoying) inches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter