• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Disneyland Annual Pass

kurt90

Disney addict since 1990!
During my recent trip planning, I have come to realize that if one member of my family got an AP, we would save over $400 on our trip in hotel costs alone.

Of course I know you get discounts on the hotels, but can any DL AP holders tell me what other types of benefits they have recieved because of the pass?

I have really stumped myself because we will be going in late August and I was planning on booking through Costco Travel b/c you get the gift card, bonus tickets with early entry and a free meal, but now that I am thinking of getting an AP, I dont think I can book through Costco anymore because I will be passing up too much of a saving.

I guess my question is that if I book through Costco and still have one person buy an annual pass...when I get to the DLH will I be able to get that extra AP discount? :confused3

Sorry about the long message, lol. :blush:

There are discounts at most restaurants (but not carts) and many stores.

I think you only need one AP to get the AP rate (whoever is checking in needs the AP).

If you stay on-site you will have the early entry feature anyway. One AP holder can reserve up to 2 rooms in there name. Benefits are discounts at certain restaurants, some stores and you can buy AP only pins. You also have earlier access to purchase tickets to events before the general public. Make sure you check the dates you are going for block out dates first before you buy your AP if you are buying the Deluxe.

Though any AP holder can buy exclusive merchandise (usually limited to 2 of each item per AP holder), only premiums get discounts on merchandise. Also, only the person whose name and picture are on the AP can receive the discounts--they've got to be the one handing the cashier the money. If paying by credit card, their name has to be on the card.

crazymomof 4 said:
If you stay on-site you will have the early entry feature anyway.

Really? Well that's good! I thought it was only if you had a Bonus ticket that you got the EE. Is that for the Toontown EE as well?

kurt90 said:
During my recent trip planning, I have come to realize that if one member of my family got an AP, we would save over $400 on our trip in hotel costs alone.

Of course I know you get discounts on the hotels, but can any DL AP holders tell me what other types of benefits they have recieved because of the pass?

I have really stumped myself because we will be going in late August and I was planning on booking through Costco Travel b/c you get the gift card, bonus tickets with early entry and a free meal, but now that I am thinking of getting an AP, I dont think I can book through Costco anymore because I will be passing up too much of a saving.

I guess my question is that if I book through Costco and still have one person buy an annual pass...when I get to the DLH will I be able to get that extra AP discount? :confused3

Sorry about the long message, lol. :blush:

I posted a thread yesterday that with an AP the DLH had some great rates the end of August through the end of September. Someone else posted that a standard room was $169. Look for the thread because I included a phone number. You can reserve @ an AP rate if you have or are planning to purchase an AP. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1157639

How far in advance do they know Ap rates at the hotel? We're not going until Feb. but I'm planning now :)

Are you driving or flying? If you will have a vehicle, the Premium AP will also gets you free parking (instead of $10 each day!) Or you can add on the free parking with one of the other APs.

iceskatejen said:
Though any AP holder can buy exclusive merchandise (usually limited to 2 of each item per AP holder), only premiums get discounts on merchandise. Also, only the person whose name and picture are on the AP can receive the discounts--they've got to be the one handing the cashier the money. If paying by credit card, their name has to be on the card.
We've never had a problem with DH paying while I wrestle little ones, mine is the Premium. Usually I'm in sight. He hands them my AP and points in my general direction!

We're flying, but I just got off the phone with Disneyland, and because we're booking through Costco.com, they said that we cannot get the annual pass discount b/c its a pagkage, and that you have to be a pass holder before you arrive in order to get the discount. I did the math with all of my dates and I would end up saving $155 on the room alone. Oh well, I still get a free meal, gift card, pin lanyard, early entry and more so I guess it doesn't matter that much.

You might still think about upgrading to an Ap after you use all of your extras if you will be coming back within a year. Usually it is well worth it and you can also plan around some good AP rates.

twinsmom2 said:
How far in advance do they know Ap rates at the hotel? We're not going until Feb. but I'm planning now :)

about 4-6 weeks

kurt90 said:
We're flying, but I just got off the phone with Disneyland, and because we're booking through Costco.com, they said that we cannot get the annual pass discount b/c its a pagkage, and that you have to be a pass holder before you arrive in order to get the discount. I did the math with all of my dates and I would end up saving $155 on the room alone. Oh well, I still get a free meal, gift card, pin lanyard, early entry and more so I guess it doesn't matter that much.

Yes, AP rates are on room only reservations directly through central reservations.

You can call and reserve a room at the AP rate before you arrive and when you check in you do need an AP. You can purchase AP's at any Disney Store or online through Disney's web site and have your AP in your hand when you check in.

kurt90 said:
booking through Costco Travel b/c you get the gift card, bonus tickets with early entry and a free meal.
I belong to Costco could you elaborate on the extras ~ what kind of gift card, what kind of bonus tickets and what kind of free meal??? Thanks.

TwingleMum said:
I belong to Costco could you elaborate on the extras ~ what kind of gift card, what kind of bonus tickets and what kind of free meal??? Thanks.

You get a $20 gift card to use anywhere at the DLR - food or stores. You get tickets to the mickey's morning madness, priority seating in DCA shows, a character meal (your choice) for each member of your party, a special lanyard, pin and luggage tags for each member of your party, a california fun book - not sure what that means.

you can check it out on costco.com - click on travel. THey seem to have excellent rates for car rentals as well.

Carole

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter