The College Program Questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
mare1203 said:
does anyone know how disney does there scheduling? Is it weekly, bi-weekly, monthly?

I realize that they're probably just going to stick us in where they need help, but I was just wondering how it was done.
Two weeks out.

Whoever asked if they should save up, you probably should. I did and it's helped out a lot. If you choose the fall program you get a lot of holiday discounts including 40% off of merch. from 20%. Plus you get to experince both the slowest and busiest times of the year, not to mention getting to see the regular shows, parades, etc. but also the holiday shows, parades, and events.

One thing I have learned from the CP is that most kids down here aren't here because they like Disney as you might think. Most are here to put it on their resume and for a fun semester-long party. So be prepared for that. Can you tell I wasn't?

I would say the CP isn't that hard to get into if you sell yourself to Disney. Show them you are passionate about their company (but not an obsessed freak) and smile. Being fans you know how Disney wants their CMs to be. If you can sell that is what you are, you should be fine.

As far as living goes, if you can bring your car I HIGHLY SUGGEST IT. Those who left their car at home regret it. There is busing provided, but it isn't always dependable. I live in Chatam Square in a two-bedroom apartment. I like it. There is quite enough space compared to any dorm many of you are living in. Chatam also has more bathrooms/bedrooms compared to Vista and more cable channels if that matters to you. I have heard good things from Vista too, but I haven't lived there so I couldn't say.

As far as "ruining the magic" goes... yes, you might encounter some of that. Those that work in some areas will encounter it a lot more than others but it's still there. If you work at the Magic Kingdom you have the highest chance of seeing things you might not want to. Overall I've just viewed it as a learning experince and tried not to let things I've seen ruin it for me, but just make it more exciting when I see them as a guest.

If you have any questions you can contact me. My information is listed in my profile. I'd be happy to chat with you.

Thanks a bunch! Everyone's information is very helpful. I am so envious of all of you! I wish I were young and in college so I could go. I'm sure my daughter will love it.

I take it that it is kinda hard to go to these partys due to the whole wellness thing, especially if you are under 21. Do they check alot and have security, or you will only get caught if you do something stupid?

I guess in a nutshell, is it easy for underage people to drink?

Maestro'sApprentice said:
Actually, it doesn't seem like such a big deal. It would just be nice to not have to go 5 months without any alcohol.

In the CP program if you are under 21 and get caught drinking, you'll be gone the next morning.....no 2nd chance. And from what I heard from my daughter and her friends during their WDW program, it happens to quite a few CPs who don't take the policy seriously.

They aren't guaranteed the 50% off, though. Depending upon availability, they can get 25%, 40% or 50% (50% if the CM is also staying in the room)
Also, at times there may be no discounted rooms available ~

and thats why im waiting til im 21 to do the CP, no chance i can survive 5 months...

I liked it alot at Chatham. It wasnt as wild there as everybody says it is at Vista. I was under 21 when I was down there, and I saw alot of underage drinking. U have to be stupid and draw attention to yourself if you are usually caught, there are obviously exceptions though. Its smart to avoid the temptation though, but sometimes you cant help it. Its a party supportive atmosphere. Im kinda wanting to get put at Vista this time around to see a different side of the living experience and be able to compare them both. Chatham was a great place, I lived in 21101 and it was a cool locale. The funny thing was we would see people getting dropped off and jumping the fences at the side entrance all the time. That was hard to get used to

My daughter really wanted Vista but got Chatham. She was so glad that she did. She did the program twice and loved it at Chatham. Didn't have a car and used the bus to get everywhere.

I lived at Vista, and it wasn't as bad as everyone says it is. All my roommates and myself were over 21, we usually had a small amount of alcohol in the apartment, but we never really had any big parties. There were parties in the complex, but if you didn't attend, it was possible to pretty much avoid/ignore them. The apartment at Vista was actually nicer than the apartment I had lived in my senior year at SU.

My DD will be going Feb 1st for the Spring Advantage. I would like to visit as much as possible, so I would really like to get the 50% off as much as I can.

Are there any "hints" as to when to try for the more discounted rooms? And, are there certain resorts that give them more often than others? I understand that our DD must stay in the room with us as well, is there a problem with her doing that and having to go to work?

DH and I got an Annual Pass so hopefully we will get a discount when we go down to move her in. After we get all of her "move-in stuff" done we want to go to the parks for a few days before heading back home.

I dont think the risk of getting hammered one night is worth it. I would rather not drink that much for 5 months than get kicked out.

How bad is the bug situation in Vista and Chatham? I am sure there are maintainence crews that spray the place often...but I don't think I am ready to see a hundred roaches scurrying out from under my bed when I wake up. :earseek:

Haha, make sure your boots are the first thing that you pack! And, you're right, that is just plain nasty!

Maestro'sApprentice said:
Actually, it doesn't seem like such a big deal. It would just be nice to not have to go 5 months without any alcohol.

Ohh no. It's a VERY big deal. I knew a LOT of people that got terminated for alcohol. Just don't take that chance. If you get terminated from Disney, you can't work for ANY of Disney's companies. And there are a LOT of them.

During the 4 months I lived at Vista, I never saw a roach in my apartment. Saw a few little geckos, but those are harmless, and they eat mosquitoes, so I don't mind having them around.

Chatham Square gets my vote ... my brother stayed there during his CP last Spring ... bugs?? eww ... lets not talk about that, i HATE bugs *shudders* :crazy2:

I know that you are assigned to an apartment when you arrive, but do they ask you whether you'd rather live at Vista or Chatham? or has that already been decided before you arrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter