The Big Family Trip to Disneyland Paris Halloween 2023 Updated Using Disneyland Paris App and Premier Pass

It was very different to my usual solo trips and I did miss out on some things I usually do, but it was brilliant fun all the same. There was no major meltdowns and everyone was so appreciative of all the planning and organizing. :)
Totally get you, I do my Disney trips with an adult friend. We know exactly what we like, what we find an acceptable waiting time etc. On occasion I do a solo trip.

A few weeks ago I went to a Dutch themepark (Efteling, if you ever have the chance, go here) with a couple with 2 young kids and 3 adult friends. 6 adults, 2 kids, Totally different trip. And I had to get used to a different rhythm of a bigger group.

You are doing so well to manage getting so much done with a large group. I laughed when I read about the snoring ( I am guilty of that lol 😜). Great first full day. Can’t wait to hear more :goodvibes

You are doing so well to manage getting so much done with a large group. I laughed when I read about the snoring ( I am guilty of that lol 😜). Great first full day. Can’t wait to hear more :goodvibes
OMG, P was NOT impressed when we all woke up on Thursday morning, :rotfl2: She was on the top bunk and her mum, my sister was on the bottom bunk. My sister would be almost asleep as she had ear plugs and P would climb down from the top and wake her up complaining about Nana snoring :D Im amazed we got so much done with so little sleep

I love how you managed to do lots of things together but still cater to individual needs and wants on this trip. So important so that everyone enjoys themselves. You really did get them most out of that last half day too. I’m interested to see how the meal plan costs stack up against what you would have paid oop.
Your airport hotel buffet sounds great and what a lovely relaxing way to end the trip for you and your mum.

I love how you managed to do lots of things together but still cater to individual needs and wants on this trip. So important so that everyone enjoys themselves. You really did get them most out of that last half day too. I’m interested to see how the meal plan costs stack up against what you would have paid oop.
Your airport hotel buffet sounds great and what a lovely relaxing way to end the trip for you and your mum.

Thanks :) Most of that was from the pre planning Whats Ap group over the last few months. I asked everyone what kind of things they were interested in, and I knew about my sisters limitations with her condition. They have been to a few local theme parks in England, P didnt have a good experience with the Haunted House or the rollercoaster, so I knew she wouldnt want to go on Phantom Manor or any of the thrill rides. I knew she would want somewhere to run around, so I had checked out the Maze and other play areas and I knew she would need some down time, so the Animation class was perfect.

Its very important to know beforehand what peoples expectations are, and peoples interests. At the start they were like, we will leave it up to you and we will just go with the flow. But bit by bit I asked specific questions as I know going with the flow wont work in a Disney Park any more.

About 2 weeks before the trip I started checking wait times on the App and putting that into the Whats Ap group, just to give them an idea of what to expect.

The meal plan cost v OOP will be interesting, I need to work all that out. It was my first time doing a meal plan, so I need to work out if I would do it on a solo trip too or just on a family group trip.

Standard Full Board and Standard Half Board Meal Plans at Disneyland Paris

I'm going to try to break down our costs as best as I can. Some of this are approx as I can't check some prices after our trip.

During the planning stages, I discussed with my sister the various aspects of a Disneyland Paris trip.
We decided that onsite would suit us best, and that if possible to get a room with 1 double bed and 1 set of bunk beds.

I had an in depth conversation with her about her expectations for food and meals. She wanted to keep my niece P on as much as a regular meal times as possible. She wanted P to have a good breakfast and a main evening meal around 6pm if possible.

We decided full board would suit us best, as with half board we would still have to eat lunch and would have to pay OOP. Also it meant from a budgeting point of view, all the big costs would be paid in advance which would cut down on money needed in the parks.

I booked at the end of December 2022, which gave us almost 10 months to pay in instalments.

I paid a deposit of €392 on December 29 2022 with the balance payable in 5 instalments before September 15 2023.

As we booked direct through Disneyland Paris website, we were covered by their Zen Guarantee, which meant we could change or cancel the booking with full refund anytime up to 7 days before arrival date.

Breakdown

Hotel and Park Hopper Tickets for 3 Adults and 1 Child = €1863.29
Local Occupancy Tax = €10.17
Full Board Standard Meal Plan = €750
Total Paid = €2623.46

Information about the Meal Plans

This is the page on Disney Paris website https://www.disneylandparis.com/en-ie/dining/meal-plans/
It gives information about Premium and Extra Plus, which are not currently available.
The only meal plans available at the time I am writing this are Standard and Plus

The meal plan prices and options are linked to the hotel you stay at.
The meal plan prices and options are linked to the restaurants they can be used at

Options are
  1. Breakfast only
  2. Half board = Breakfast and Dinner
  3. Full board = Breakfast, lunch and dinner
Santa Fe the cheapest hotel is the only hotel to have the Standard option as well as the Plus.

With the Standard Meal Plan, lunch has to be at a counter service restaurant.
With the Plus, lunch can be at any restaurant, counter, buffet or table service.

All the other hotels have only Plus.

So what you do is
  1. Choose your hotel
  2. Choose how many meals you want in the day, 1, 2 or 3
  3. If staying at Santa Fe, if you want counter service or buffet / table for lunch
We had Full Board Standard which cost €750
This gave us
  • Breakfast X 3 for 3 adults and 1 child
  • Counter Service X 3 for 3 adults and 1 child
  • Buffet / Table Service X 3 for 3 adults and 1 child
  • Counter Service on departure day for 3 adults and 1 child
I did a spreadsheet of only the food we ate using the meal vouchers and put in the al a carte prices if we had been paying OOP for every meal and had the same meals.
The OOP total cost would have been €1075.58
Thats a difference of €325.58

However, if we were paying OOP I dont think we would have paid for the hotel breakfast buffet every day, or have got a desert at lunch time or eaten in 3 high priced table service restaurants. If we were paying OOP our restaurant and food choices would have been very different.

This was my first time doing a Meal Plan at Disneyland Paris. On my previous solo visits a continental breakfast was included and I paid OOP for every meal.

Being solo and being with a multi generation group who have dietary restrictions are very different.

The meal plan worked for us and I can see why it works for families. However, not all restaurants are included with the meal plans. These restaurants are not included
  • Auberge de Cendrillon Princess Meal
  • Captain Jacks
  • Plaza Gardens
  • Restaurant Agrabah Café
  • Silver Spur Steakhouse
  • Cape Cod at Newport Bay Hotel Not On Standard Meal Plan
  • Chuck Wagon Cafe at Hotel Cheyenne Not On Standard Meal Plan
  • All on the go / snack kiosks in the parks and in Disney Village
  • Earl of Sandwich in Disney Village
  • Five Guys in Disney Village
  • McDonalds in Disney Village
  • Rainforest Cafe in Disney Village
  • Starbucks at the hotels and in Disney Village
  • The Royal Pub in Disney Village
  • Vapiano in Disney Village
The only way to save money with the meal plans is to do what we did and use the vouchers for every meal. If 1 or more of the not included restaurants are on your must do list, then you really have to crunch the numbers and and cross check your food budget.

If I go back solo to Disneyland Paris I will do OOP and not have a meal plan.
Thanks for this. I know my sister visits a lot of the not-included restaurants so a meal plan would not make sense for me if I was travelling with her. I hadn’t realized so many places were excluded. I can see how it really worked well for you this trip though. Definitely something to think about at the planning stages.

Great trip report. thanks for the link!
I have wondered about the slower time to vist…looks like you picked good time to visit.
Did not know they still had Magic Shuttle to & from airport.
Is the sleeping dragon still in the dungeons of the Castle?

I wonder if WDW will eventually have to cover walkways due to extreme weather in future.
Did you think about that as you experienced in DLParis?

I have wondered about the slower time to vist…looks like you picked good time to visit.

I wonder if WDW will eventually have to cover walkways due to extreme weather in future.

It was actaully a very busy time, high crowds due to UK school holidays. The wait times really escalated in the afternoons, especially on Friday and Saturday.

I don't think Magic Shuttle ever stopped. Its a third party company who have the license to go onto Disney property. Its a paid bus shuttle.

Yes the dragon is still under the castle.

I don't go to WDW I go to Disneyland California. I use an umbrella to protect from the sun and they rarely have rain in the summer when I go.

I think in the future all theme parks will have to make adjustments to the weather.

DLP always had to be prepared for all kinds of weather as Western Europe really has 4 different seasons. But weather has become more extreme in recent years. A few weeks ago, DLP announced to put more coverage for the queue for Peter Pan and for Casey's restaurant. It is a necessity.

And I assume that in the future these things might happen in other theme parks as well. Whether that is for rain or blazing sun. We have to adjust to the weather as it is not going to adjust to us 😉

Using the Disney Premier Access One was exactly the same as using Genie+ and Individual Attraction Lighting Lanes. It was the same scanner machine and made the same "ding" sound. I just scanned the one pass and all 4 of us went in. Im not sure if I should have checked and scanned 4 different codes, but once it went Green, the CM waved us through.

One big difference is that you can only buy a maximum of 3 Disney Premier Access One per person per day.

Even though we only had 2 full days and were there during a high crowd time, UK Halloween Half Term, the Disney Premier Access Ultimate is a waste of money. With so much info about wait times on the App and Early Entry for hotel guests, its not really needed. I see it as something Travel Agents would push on to first time guests who stay off site and who are not able or don't want to use the App in the parks. I saw plenty of people still using the paper maps to figure things out.
Question about this: is this limit 3 total, or just 3 per attraction? The wording on the DLP website seems like it's 3 per attraction per guest (e.g. I can only buy the pass for Crush's coaster for me three times per day), but no limit on the number of attractions (eg. I could buy one for each ride for all of the rides, not just 3).

https://www.disneylandparis.com/en-...a maximum,a time, depending upon availability.

Question about this: is this limit 3 total, or just 3 per attraction? The wording on the DLP website seems like it's 3 per attraction per guest (e.g. I can only buy the pass for Crush's coaster for me three times per day), but no limit on the number of attractions (eg. I could buy one for each ride for all of the rides, not just 3).

https://www.disneylandparis.com/en-gb/attractions/disney-premier-access/#:~:text=You can buy a maximum,a time, depending upon availability.
I'm not sure, I took it to me only 3 per person per day. Honestly though you wouldnt really need multiple ones. We only got it because of the time of day and we wanted to be in a group. If we had been there for early opening, there would have been no need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter