The Bad Mothers' Handbook Pre-Trippy *Updated 13/10 with itinerary*

wilma-bride

<<This space intentionally blank>>
This will be a joint trip report, written by Natalie and I. The more astute among you will realise that the reason we are writing a joint trippy is because we are travelling to Disney World together. Yes, you heard it here first – the Longstaffs and the Alcocks are taking Orlando by storm!!!

I know this is ridiculously early to be starting a pre-trip report but, let’s face it, we can’t make ADRs yet (although, trust me, we have probably decided them all), we can’t book accommodation yet (DVC can only be booked 11 months in advance), park hours aren’t out (roll on April) and we need something to help pass the time. We chose to celebrate the start of our one-year countdown by publishing the pre-trippy to get us all excited.

We have broken tradition with the title of this trip report. Nat normally opts for the inventively titled ‘Longstaff Family Trip’ and we usually use an iteration of the old favourite ‘Fred, Wilma etc’. Obviously, any attempt to combine the two would have produced something ridiculously unsuitable. So an alternative, brand new title was required. Any Mother who has taken their child/children to Disney will know that there are unavoidably times when, no matter how hard you try, you end up feeling like the worst parent in the world (literally!) So, the title is a tribute to that and also to some of the circumstances behind the Longstaff/Alcock collaboration.

So, now we’ve introduced it, on with the pre-trip report!

When – 19th October-2nd November 2009

Where – Precise details have yet to be confirmed but we will definitely be staying in a DVC villa somewhere on property. I'm sure Nat will be immensely relieved when I finally make my mind up exactly where.

Who – I’m sure you’re sick of hearing about us all by now so I’ll keep it short and sweet. More details about the individual members of our group will undoubtedly follow as we continue our build-up to the big day. So, for now, my lot are:

Me – Joh (will be 36)
DH – Gary (will be 42)

FloridaAug07370.jpg

DD1 – Sian (will be 16)
DD2 – Rhiannon aka Rea (will be 15)
DS – Daniel (will be 6)

KidsatWSM.jpg

I’ll let Nat introduce her crew:

Me - Natalie (will be 37!!)
DH - John (will be 45)

MarmarisJuly2008076.jpg

DD - Ellie (will be 11)
DS - Matthew (will be 8)

MarmarisJuly2008017.jpg

What – We have a fun-filled, action-packed fortnight planned. Obviously, we’re still 12 long months away and a lot of the detail has still to be finalised but, needless to say, we have a few surprises in store and are aiming to fit in as much as possible (doesn’t everyone?)

Background

Nat and I met on the DISboards. Although we already ‘knew’ each other, our friendship changed drastically in May 2007 when a ‘series of unfortunate events’ led to the first of (what is now many, many, many) our epic phone calls. Almost a year later, having now met several times, we turn the topic of conversation to our next visit to the ‘World’. Unsurprisingly perhaps, we both had plans to visit during October half term in 2009 and so it seemed inevitable that we would at least make plans to meet up during our trips. I don’t recall how (maybe Nat does) we got from that point to where we are now, which is for our families to holiday together.

As Joh said our friendship came about because of an event that partly expains the title of our trippy. A parent in the playground made a thoughtless remark to me about how i look after my kids. John had gone to work and, alone in the house, I was brooding over the events of the day and got a little upset. I turned to the DIS for support and Joh was kind enough to give me her home number (Gary was away at the time so she had time to talk). We talked for a while that night and, as she has already said, that call led on to many others (both Gary and John think we single-handedly keep BT in business!). Myself and Joh have a lot of the same values and viewpoints (except for who should have won Big Brother, apparently ;) ) and it made the transition from a chat on the phone to a full blown friendship relatively easy.

I must interject here and say that, although both Gary and I have made some wonderful friends through the DIS, I am eternally grateful to the insensitive woman who made those thoughtless remarks to Nat as, because of her, I have found a wonderful friend in Nat.

DISGirlyWeekendMk2019-1.jpg

OK, enough of the sap, on with the trippy - back to you Nat.

We usually take our holidays to WDW at around the same time as free dining is available so i think i graciously decided to forego free dining as long as we get to try some of the off-site places Joh tells me about and plan our trip to co-incide with the half term holidays. Many phone calls took place about the timings and exactly how the holiday would work. Originally the plan was for us to stay at a value resort while the Alcocks stayed at a DVC resort, however it was eventually decided that we would try and rent DVC points and stay at Saratoga Springs together.

So there you have it - that's the background to the story - we do have a few surprises up our sleeves, some of which may be revealed along the way and some of which will remain secret. Either way, we hope you enjoy tagging along with us for the next 365 days (thank goodness it's not a leap year - I fear the extra day may have killed me :rotfl: )

Great pre-trippy girls. It's sounds like you're going to have a scream. I'm not sure if I should do the honourable thing and warn DisneyWorld that you're both heading their way :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I look forward to hearing about more of your plans :thumbsup2

Great start Joh & Natalie, looking forward to reading more as the planning goes on. :thumbsup2

Great start girls, sounds as though you are going to have a wonderful time.

Great start, sounds like you are going to have a great time. We have yet to experience WDW with friends, fingers crossed in 2010 with Ian being the big 40 that is going to change. I am sure you will have a blast ...

Great title, girls - you are, without doubt, two of the baddest mothers I know! :rotfl2: (I hope that's as funny in print as it is in my head :upsidedow ).

Looking forward to hearing how your plans develop over the coming 12 months. :goodvibes

great start, this is going to be great :thumbsup2

Great pre-trippie, girls. You'll have so much fun planning it all. Can't wait to hear about the surprise bits. :goodvibes

Great pre trippee guys - looking forward to hearing more about your plans.

I don't feel quite so bad starting my pre trip report 3 months out now!!

Great start ladies! I can't wait to hear more about your plans! :goodvibes

I love the title and the introduction to how Natallie and yourself are friends really sets the scene.

I may have to think about a WDW virgin pre-trippie now ;)

Looking forward to new installments :)

We have been with friends several times and it is great but I think it will be even better for you both as you both feel the same way about Disney and will just get the magic with both your families just that little bit more if you know what I mean.

not only once you are there but with your love of planning too. What fun it must be for you both. I always feel with my friends that I am too pushy (I must drive them mad) because I want them to enjoy it as much as I do but you will both know that you will have just the best time.

looking forward to reading about all your planning and the great time you will have.

Susan

A double DIS pre - trippy!!!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

This is gonna be good........ popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter