The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

There is a working blacksmith, the old schoolhouse, the Chinese laundry, live chickens, a mock mine shaft, a REAL mine shaft, and more machinery and old crap than you could ever imagine.
It looks like there might be a live, or dead, chicken in front of the tire in one of your pictures.

In keeping with the theme of Native American history, Montezuma’s Castle was next on the agenda.
I think you can see the ruins from Interstate 17. It looks like the ruins we saw when we traveled between Phoenix and Sedona.

It never fails to be jaw-dropping when I enter the Red Rock Zone of Sedona; it’s breathtakingly beautiful- some say the most picturesque place in the US. It’s basically hard NOT take a good photo
We have been to Sedona twice and the red rocks are gorgeous. :)

Very kind of you to host a needy family.

:rolleyes1

I'm sure they will have plenty of fodder as that's the only room for passers-through. And I'm doubtful that mattress will EVER be changed.

You'd think that'd be Flagstone, GA or even Flagstone Park, CO (or even Flagstone, Australia), but... noooooooo...

And not a single one of these:
Whelp, okay. I guess they can have the title.

Might even be fun to visit the quarry.
Pretty... has-been, all right.

Sadly, like most Route 66 towns that ended up off the I-40. :(

Love this photo. :thumbsup2
I actually spent quite a bit of time on that one. Zach was on the internet so I ventured out across the street from our motel/slum and played with settings and composition. Love it too.

:laughing:
Sorry... I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but...

No, it really wasn't. Ah well.
Good luck! I'd be curious, if you ever get back there and find it, if it was worth the effort.

I"m in the state. Maybe I should try!
Cool! Now that's worth it.

I'd say so!

What is that? Looks too far apart for rail?

I think it's the original concrete girding for the culvert there. We saw similar style concrete work along the sides of the old road as well. Like delineation work, kinda like curbs?
Is that part of Route 66??

Yes, Sir.
Ah yes. Do not disturb the sleeping flagstone, lest they swarm and overwhelm you.

Sorry, that as a photo embedding error. I fixed it with a cute little cottontail.

Cool little critter.

He was very patient with me too. I had to really work at getting him/her in focus.

Circle of life?
LOL!! I think it was a cow that died from stomach bloat. The vultures picked it clean, but the contents were still very much there.

Wow, that sounds good. Unlimited mimosas you say???

OH it was such a nice breakfast. Z still talks about it!

Well, poop! There goes my shot at those mimosas.

:( I know. :(
Completely different and just as awesome.

WE saw such a variety of stuff even on just this day!
What a cool shot. Almost ghostly.

I LOVE how that one turned out! I need to work on it in PS and get rid of the red to the left of Z, but very Twilight Zone-y
Love that hubcap. You won't see something like that anymore.

So. Much. Cool. Stuff.

Your boyfriend pops up in the most unexpected places!
Then again, maybe you brought him along with you?

He's the best! Never complains, always has a smile.... ;)

:lmao:
Nice fixer-upper. A handyman's dream.

Took me down a bit of a rabbit hole.
Luther Johnson drove in 3 Indianapolis 500s. 1931-1933 inclusive.
He drove car #57 and crashed (finishing 20th), so this may not be that car. The next two races he drove #46. He failed to finish in '32 when he lost a wheel on lap 164 (of 200),finishing 16th, but finished the race in '33, finishing 10th.

Wow, you really did your research!! He wasn't a winner, but still a cool story. Amazing how far those cars and tech have come!
Of course. I mean... he's got an Indy car. :rolleyes1

I knew you'd get a kick out of that. :)

Whups! You've mentioned that before. Just a tad toasty?

It really was. Not NEARLY as hot as D.V. but still very warm. And we'd walked around for 2 hours and I needed a rest and some water!
Okay... that's pretty amazing. I've never seen anything like that.

It's truly a sight to see. It housed about 50 people they say, but man, can you imagine the work and skill involved?!

Those the 1000 year old beams you mentioned?

No, to the upper right of the darker portion in this image. :) At about 3:00 from the darkest window.

Here's MY close up. ( ^That one isn't mine.)

Hmmm...
Thinking there must be an art to camping there. Set up your tent too early and you'll turn it into an oven. Too late and it's a fridge.
Standing by to see the end result.

A bit like that yes, as we camped in Oak Creek and once the sun goes down it's quite cool in there.

but... no tent. ;)

I don't know if it's the most picturesque... but it sure can't be far off! Wow! Stunning.

Striking maybe then.

It looks like there might be a live, or dead, chicken in front of the tire in one of your pictures.

She was alive, but had quite a weird way of sitting. Who knows, maybe she was starting to stand up when I shot that photo? LOL!
I think you can see the ruins from Interstate 17. It looks like the ruins we saw when we traveled between Phoenix and Sedona.

Not Montezumas. In fact, we couldn't see them until we'd hiked about 200 yards down the sidewalk trail. Tuzigoot maybe? There are other smaller/lesser visited one for sure that you can see from US89 though.
We have been to Sedona twice and the red rocks are gorgeous.
Oh they so much are. Just incredible with the color contrasts. Against the blue skies they are stunning!

I'm sure they will have plenty of fodder as that's the only room for passers-through. And I'm doubtful that mattress will EVER be changed.
So. Gross.
And not a single one of these:
Um... sorry, you lost me here. Why did you post that? :confused3
Sadly, like most Route 66 towns that ended up off the I-40. :(
Yeah... I've heard that.
I actually spent quite a bit of time on that one. Zach was on the internet so I ventured out across the street from our motel/slum and played with settings and composition. Love it too.
The fact that you actually worked at it, makes it that much better.
I"m in the state. Maybe I should try!
Oh!!!
That's so funny.
Here I was thinking "I wonder if she'll ever get in the area again in her life, to try again."
I totally spazzed on the fact that you live there.

I think it's the original concrete girding for the culvert there. We saw similar style concrete work along the sides of the old road as well. Like delineation work, kinda like curbs?
Ah, okay.
Yes, Sir.
Super cool! Really!
Sorry, that as a photo embedding error. I fixed it with a cute little cottontail.
Aw. Wished you'd kept it. Was more fun that way.
He was very patient with me too. I had to really work at getting him/her in focus.
I bet. move a fraction and he's gonna be out of focus.
Reminds me... I need to get a macro focusing rail some day.
OH it was such a nice breakfast. Z still talks about it!
Not surprised.
I LOVE how that one turned out! I need to work on it in PS and get rid of the red to the left of Z, but very Twilight Zone-y
:thumbsup2
He's the best! Never complains, always has a smile.... ;)
Wow, you really did your research!!
Fun little rabbit hole.
I was first curious about the make. "Studebaker? I don't remember Studebaker running at Indy, ever."
And there wasn't one in 1928. But a little more digging and...
He wasn't a winner, but still a cool story.
::yes::
Amazing how far those cars and tech have come!
It really is. And most advances in race cars find their way into your car.
I knew you'd get a kick out of that. :)
It's truly a sight to see. It housed about 50 people they say, but man, can you imagine the work and skill involved?!
Bet it was generations of work, there.
No, to the upper right of the darker portion in this image. :) At about 3:00 from the darkest window.
Got 'em. Thanks! :)
Striking maybe then.
No, no. Definitely picturesque. I just can't say with any authority if it's the most picturesque in the US. I haven't seen all of it.
But definitely picturesque. ::yes::

Ugh, I'd forgotten about your bed bug situation :( That is just the worst!!!!!!!!!

What a bummer about not being able to find the location you'd been so excited to explore. I love that you made the most of it, and were able to enjoy the other stops so much. Those red rocks are simply incredible in every photo I've ever seen. I can't even imagine how breathtaking they must be in person!

I was having a poopoo-my-pants few days as my entire collection of Light Room photos just... disappeared. Well, I can pull them up through a back door, but ALL, as in all but what I've posted so far, of my Oregon to Kentucky Roadtrip photos are G.O.N.E. I thought permanently (and they are indeed gone in LR) everywhere as I formatted by SD cards thinking to myself, "well, you have them safe in LR, don't need these anymore". Stupid. VERY, VERY stupid.

BUT!!! I found them all in a place (Photos) that I didn't look before and to say the least am elated I can now resume your not-very-regularly-scheduled Trip Reporting. I am SO sorry for the massive hiatus, but moving and starting a new job is hard.

Now, excuse me while I go edit some photos! ;)

Yikes! That would have given me a heart attack, for sure. Thank goodness it ended well.

Breakfast would have to wait as this was the day for our long-awaited Johnson Historic Railroad Tunnel Hike!

Oh cool! Sounds awesome.

We looked for the next 2 ½ hours. Really, we did try. We followed the bumpiest, are-we-gonna-make-it sort of roads for miles and in the end had to admit our defeat. I was thoroughly disappointed and will go back someday to conquer that wild goose chase.

Oh.

Wow! It's a good thing that jackrabbit you saw had already eaten this poor creature. I would have been worried for your safety.

Honestly, it was one of the bigger disappointments of our trip, but nowhere NEAR the biggest one. That is coming up a couple days after this one.

Well, at least we all have something to look forward to.

Gulp.

Tragically, Carmella's is now a permanently closed victim of Covid.

:sad1:

I was able to grab a photo of a replica of my new RV while I was there so I could show you!

:rotfl2: It's got a certain rustic charm to it.

This is like finding Doc Hudson hiding in Radiator Springs.

Plus, Tuzigoot is just fun to say.

You got me there.

In keeping with the theme of Native American history, Montezuma’s Castle was next on the agenda.

Hey, I've been there. Cool to see that dwelling high up in the cliff and wonder.

Also much better than Montezuma's Revenge.

It never fails to be jaw-dropping when I enter the Red Rock Zone of Sedona; it’s breathtakingly beautiful- some say the most picturesque place in the US. It’s basically hard NOT take a good photo.

So true. What a gorgeous place.

Um... sorry, you lost me here. Why did you post that? :confused3

Doesn't it stand to reason that Ashfork would be home to ASH FORKS?

The fact that you actually worked at it, makes it that much better.

More often than not you can tell the difference between a quick snap and one that's had some thought and care put into it. Then again, some of my best shots have been quick snaps, but those are fewer.
Oh!!!
That's so funny.
Here I was thinking "I wonder if she'll ever get in the area again in her life, to try again."
I totally spazzed on the fact that you live there.

Yes, but it's a short day's drive there, so I'd have to go on a long weekend. Which I have, but there are so many other things to see and do here. Hiking in the nearby hills, the Desert Museum (have an AP now), concerts, working my RV makeover projects.... Happy hours with friends....
I bet. move a fraction and he's gonna be out of focus.
Reminds me... I need to get a macro focusing rail some day.

I'd love to start with a macro LENS someday. :laughing:
Fun little rabbit hole.
I was first curious about the make. "Studebaker? I don't remember Studebaker running at Indy, ever."
And there wasn't one in 1928. But a little more digging and...

The things you learn...!
It really is. And most advances in race cars find their way into your car.

Same with a lot of space travel tech. ::yes::
Bet it was generations of work, there.

I'm betting you're right!
No, no. Definitely picturesque. I just can't say with any authority if it's the most picturesque in the US. I haven't seen all of it.
But definitely picturesque. ::yes::
I hope you can get down here someday and explore. There's really a lot to see and do!

Ugh, I'd forgotten about your bed bug situation :( That is just the worst!!!!!!!!!

What a bummer about not being able to find the location you'd been so excited to explore. I love that you made the most of it, and were able to enjoy the other stops so much. Those red rocks are simply incredible in every photo I've ever seen. I can't even imagine how breathtaking they must be in person!
Hey Jackie!! I'm finally getting into my groove here and hope to be on more often now. :)

Yes, but tbh, that wasn't the worst of our bug problems! UGH!!

I have more Sedona photos coming up from a magical morning hike!

Yikes! That would have given me a heart attack, for sure. Thank goodness it ended well.

I have HATED LR's cataloguing/organizing system since Day 1 of use. It's confusing and stuff NEVER ends up where I can find it easily. I wish there was an editing program that was better than the built in ones like "Photo Editor" on my computer, but not quite as fancy as PS (which I also have and use). Sigh....

Wow! It's a good thing that jackrabbit you saw had already eaten this poor creature. I would have been worried for your safety.

He certainly ate well. I wonder if there is a jackrabbit hangout where they smoke the brisket they find.

:rotfl2: It's got a certain rustic charm to it.

You'll love what I'm doing with it!! The difference will be night and day. LOL!

This is like finding Doc Hudson hiding in Radiator Springs.

Exactly!

Hey, I've been there. Cool to see that dwelling high up in the cliff and wonder.

Also much better than Montezuma's Revenge.

I've had that far too many times to count in my travels here and there. Central Asian street food can really sneak up on you.

Doesn't it stand to reason that Ashfork would be home to ASH FORKS?
O.... M... G....
:faint:
More often than not you can tell the difference between a quick snap and one that's had some thought and care put into it. Then again, some of my best shots have been quick snaps, but those are fewer.
I agree with that.
But I do remember, early on in my photo shooting days, when I went to a park and shot for a good hour. I spotted a duck in the pond and took a quick, off-the-hip shot.
And it turned out to be one of my favourite photos, not just of that day, but of that year.
Yes, but it's a short day's drive there, so I'd have to go on a long weekend. Which I have, but there are so many other things to see and do here. Hiking in the nearby hills, the Desert Museum (have an AP now), concerts, working my RV makeover projects.... Happy hours with friends....
Okay, I get that.
But your trailer is there, so I'm assuming you'll be spending plenty of time in the area and just might take that long weekend trip. :)
I'd love to start with a macro LENS someday. :laughing:
:laughing: That might be a good place to start. :)
Same with a lot of space travel tech. ::yes::
I hope you can get down here someday and explore. There's really a lot to see and do!
I have no doubt!

T is for: Tut, Tut, Looks like Damage and Terrific Morning Hike

Heading north from Sedona, which is FAR more touristy and built up than when I was going to university at NAU in Flagstaff in the mid-80’s, we entered Oak Creek Canyon. I have wonderful memories of going to Slide Rock as a kid and staying in one of these cabins:

Back in the "good old days", there were far fewer people and far less trash. I wish everyone would just pick up after themselves. I mean, why be a pig?

The canyon is quite a bit cooler, being much shadier and higher up than its Red-Rocky-Cousin, Sedona, but no less beautiful in its own right. I opted for the most affordable option of camping in the form of a U.S.F.S. campground. I think I paid something like $24/night. Showers were extra. Just typing that reminds me of the hilarious lyrics in that Les Mis song Master of the House:

Food beyond compare. Food beyond belief
Mix it in a mincer and pretend it's beef
Kidney of a horse, liver of a cat
Filling up the sausages with this and that
Residents are more than welcome
Bridal suite is occupied
Reasonable charges
Plus some little extras on the side!

The views were certainly worth the price!

So, Z and I found our site and got set up. No tent, no frills, just bags in the back on top of some foamies. Being minimalist about this made things so much easier! Sure, we didn’t sleep much, but we also didn’t really have to do much to get situated when we camped either. Let’s face it, you can’t have everything. I mean, if we expected that we'd be politicians on Capitol Hill.

Laying out some finger food type things for dinner we picnicked washing it all down with some refreshing, bubbly hard ciders. This cleared out our cooler and it was then that we realized that the hard-boiled eggs we’d packed were well beyond rotten. I think Zach legit gagged when we cracked one open. Heh, it would either keep critters out of our campsite that night or attract them. Or at the very least deter would-be luggage pilferers. Not that I wouldn't have heard them anyway. :rolleyes2

We cleaned up our table and as a camp host drove by on his golf cart, I flagged him down and asked where the showers were. He pointed us in the right direction, but warned us we should hurry because he’d be locking them up in the next half hour. EEK! I’m not one to miss a shower, even if it was going to cost me 2 bucks. And here’s where things went sour. The showers only took tokens, not quarters. I mean that would have been WAY too easy. In that half hour, we had to drive to the front of the campground, wait in line to get the tokens, find the showers, hope one was available, and shower. I was in a hurry to say the least.

You know those gigantic boulders they use in campgrounds to "outline" the parking spots? They do a great job at keeping cars OUT of the places they don’t want you to have your car. Unfortunately, they also do a fantastic job at becoming immovable objects that are just low enough to forget about when you pull out of your spot at dusk when you’re in a hurry to get to a shower that’s going to close in half an hour.

The one that I didn’t see/forgot about made a hideous crunch-scrape-your-car-is-now-jacked-up-with-about-$1,200-worth-of-damage sort of noise and I knew in that instant this trip was far more expensive than I’d hoped it’d be. My swear word competency grew by a factor about 10 as I drove Z and I to the showers. Luckily, there was plenty of hot water to wash my mouth out. Black Momba let out a stifled sob as I laid down in her cargo space for a long night of very little sleep. I’m sorry Blackie, I let you down and in your heart of hearts I know you are as well aware as I am that you will not be fixed any time soon.

The next morning, I was adamant that we get up very early as we had a couple of hard deadlines that couldn’t be missed. The first was capturing some sunrise/Golden Hour shots of the Red Rocks. When I’d planned this trip, I researched some short hikes that sounded pretty for the afternoon before, but the previous day had gotten away from us and those opportunities were now gone. Instead, I decided to do an early morning hike and quickly Googled “Best places to watch the sunrise in Sedona”. This is the one that I chose:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arizona/sugarloaf-loop-trail

It looked easily accessible and a quick one to do with the minimal amount of time. I only had just about an hour to get out, grab some photos, and get on the road for our next meeting. Did I choose well? Yep!! As soon as I got out of the car, I knew I’d struck gold when 2 hot air balloons floated into view. I can’t even imagine how incredible it must have been up there.

Back down on Earth where we mortals dwell, I set out with my camera tagging along and joined about 50 other trailblazers. So much for my unique idea. :rolleyes: Zach, sat in the car like a dud and party-pooped.

Back in the car, we were ready to scoot up to Flagstaff where I’ll pick it up next time. We had a VERY full day ahead of us with loads of stops and stunning scenery along the way. So… stay tuned as we trek across the Desert Southwest….

Last edited:
O.... M... G....
:faint:

I thought you'd appreciate that. ;)

I agree with that.
But I do remember, early on in my photo shooting days, when I went to a park and shot for a good hour. I spotted a duck in the pond and took a quick, off-the-hip shot.
And it turned out to be one of my favourite photos, not just of that day, but of that year.

Oh I have definitely had my share of those too. ::yes::

Okay, I get that.
But your trailer is there, so I'm assuming you'll be spending plenty of time in the area and just might take that long weekend trip. :)

Perhaps...? I am not sure if I'll come back here outside of my (hopeful) Jan-April stays.

:laughing: That might be a good place to start. :)

Sure might be! LOL! I splurged on a new espresso machine this week, so it'll have to wait now.

Heading north from Sedona, which is FAR more touristy and built up than when I was going to university at NAU in Flagstaff in the mid-80’s,
Funny how we have our memories... and then when you're confronted with today's realities, the two crash together, often not overly pleasantly.
Back in the "good old days", there were far fewer people and far less trash. I wish everyone would just pick up after themselves.
:sad2:
I really don't get that. It would take a conscious act for me to not use a garbage can.
Bring back littering fines and enforcement of same.
I opted for the most affordable option of camping in the form of a U.S.F.S. campground. I think I paid something like $24/night.
Huh. I'll have to remember that. I've used KOA and didn't know about this.
Food beyond compare. Food beyond belief
Mix it in a mincer and pretend it's beef
Kidney of a horse, liver of a cat
Filling up the sausages with this and that
Residents are more than welcome
Bridal suite is occupied
Reasonable charges
Plus some little extras on the side!
:laughing: Did not know the lyrics.
(No surprise. I seldom do.)
Very pretty.
So, Z and I found our site and got set up. No tent, no frills, just bags in the back on top of some foamies. Being minimalist about this made things so much easier! Sure, we didn’t sleep much, but we also didn’t really have to do much to get situated when we camped either.
:laughing: No sleep... but it was great!
Let’s face it, you can’t have everything. I mean, if we expected that we'd be politicians on Capitol Hill.
No place like... home?
it was then that we realized that the hard-boiled eggs we’d packed were well beyond rotten. I think Zach legit gagged when we cracked one open.
Ew!
Surprised someone didn't report a gas leak.
mmm... pickles.
And... herring or sardines? (Either way... yum.)
We cleaned up our table and as a camp host drove by on his golf cart, I flagged him down and asked where the showers were. He pointed us in the right direction, but warned us we should hurry because he’d be locking them up in the next half hour. EEK! I’m not one to miss a shower, even if it was going to cost me 2 bucks. And here’s where things went sour. The showers only took tokens, not quarters. I mean that would have been WAY too easy. In that half hour, we had to drive to the front of the campground, wait in line to get the tokens, find the showers, hope one was available, and shower. I was in a hurry to say the least.
So my question is... why didn't the host mention the fact you'd need tokens???
"I'll tell 'em the shower's open for 30 minutes but not tell them they need tokens. It'll be hilarious! Maybe they'll even crash on the rocks."
You know those gigantic boulders they use in campgrounds to "outline" the parking spots? They do a great job at keeping cars OUT of the places they don’t want you to have your car. Unfortunately, they also do a fantastic job at becoming immovable objects that are just low enough to forget about when you pull out of your spot at dusk when you’re in a hurry to get to a shower that’s going to close in half an hour.
oh no..
The one that I didn’t see/forgot about made a hideous crunch-scrape-your-car-is-now-jacked-up-with-about-$1,200-worth-of-damage sort of noise and I knew in that instant this trip was far more expensive than I’d hoped it’d be.
Sorry to hear that. No one likes car damage on a road trip.
I’m sorry Blackie
Now that made me pause. We used to have a white car and a black car when the DDs were really little (preschool). They named them (obviously enough) Blackie and Whitie. Only years later did they think of the... problematic... nature of those names.
Not great, but... thank goodness still driveable.
As soon as I got out of the car, I knew I’d struck gold when 2 hot air balloons floated into view.
Score!
Golden hour!
Man... look at those colours!
Zach, sat in the car like a dud and party-pooped.
:sad2: Kids these days.
Great shot!!!
Back in the car, we were ready to scoot up to Flagstaff where I’ll pick it up next time. We had a VERY full day ahead of us with loads of stops and stunning scenery along the way. So… stay tuned as we trek across the Desert Southwest….
popcorn::
Perhaps...? I am not sure if I'll come back here outside of my (hopeful) Jan-April stays.
"I only expect to be here four months... every. single. year..."
Sure. Absolutely no way you could ever get over there.
:rolleyes2
And here's me thinking "I may never get to that area."
Sure might be! LOL! I splurged on a new espresso machine this week, so it'll have to wait now.
Huh! I didn't know you could take macro photos with an espresso machine. They sure think of everything!

Heading north from Sedona, which is FAR more touristy and built up than when I was going to university at NAU in Flagstaff in the mid-80’s, we entered Oak Creek Canyon.
Sedona was getting too touristy for us, too, and that was the early 2000's. But Oak Creek Canyon was a wonderful place to hike. That hike was the highlight of the two trips we took to Sedona. :)

Funny how we have our memories... and then when you're confronted with today's realities, the two crash together, often not overly pleasantly.
It's happened to me on numerous occasions, none of them fun.
:sad2:
I really don't get that. It would take a conscious act for me to not use a garbage can.
Bring back littering fines and enforcement of same.

THIS!
Huh. I'll have to remember that. I've used KOA and didn't know about this.

It's often a very economical way to camp. Usually primitive, but also usually clean and well kept.

:laughing: Did not know the lyrics.
(No surprise. I seldom do.)
It's a hilarious song.

No place like... home?

LOL!! We were really living it up!

Ew!
Surprised someone didn't report a gas leak.

mmm... pickles.
And... herring or sardines? (Either way... yum.)

Soooo good! It's a perfect picnic food on crackers!
So my question is... why didn't the host mention the fact you'd need tokens???
"I'll tell 'em the shower's open for 30 minutes but not tell them they need tokens. It'll be hilarious! Maybe they'll even crash on the rocks."

Well, actually he did, that's why I raced off in the car back to the front entrance. Quite a walk.
Now that made me pause. We used to have a white car and a black car when the DDs were really little (preschool). They named them (obviously enough) Blackie and Whitie. Only years later did they think of the... problematic... nature of those names.

I'll PM.

Not great, but... thank goodness still driveable.

For sure!!
"I only expect to be here four months... every. single. year..."
Sure. Absolutely no way you could ever get over there.
:rolleyes2
And here's me thinking "I may never get to that area."

Okay, okay!!! I'll try to get back there again, but this time it'd only be lil 'ol me and not nearly as fun as sharing it with a friend.
Huh! I didn't know you could take macro photos with an espresso machine. They sure think of everything!

These gadgets are getting better and better!

It's happened to me on numerous occasions, none of them fun.
Yeah... time marches on...
It's often a very economical way to camp. Usually primitive, but also usually clean and well kept.
Thanks for the tip. :)
LOL!! We were really living it up!
Like the Ritz... but different.
Soooo good! It's a perfect picnic food on crackers!
Fine. Keep your secrets.
;)
Well, actually he did, that's why I raced off in the car back to the front entrance. Quite a walk.
Ohhhh... got it now. (Nickel drops.)
Oh? Okay. Curious and standing by.
Okay, okay!!! I'll try to get back there again, but this time it'd only be lil 'ol me and not nearly as fun as sharing it with a friend.
Of course you'll share! You'll post it here, won't you? :)
These gadgets are getting better and better!

Heading north from Sedona, which is FAR more touristy and built up than when I was going to university at NAU in Flagstaff in the mid-80’s, we entered Oak Creek Canyon.

Oh, nice, I love that drive!

He pointed us in the right direction, but warned us we should hurry because he’d be locking them up in the next half hour. EEK! I’m not one to miss a shower, even if it was going to cost me 2 bucks. And here’s where things went sour. The showers only took tokens, not quarters.

Of course. Why make it easy?

The one that I didn’t see/forgot about made a hideous crunch-scrape-your-car-is-now-jacked-up-with-about-$1,200-worth-of-damage sort of noise and I knew in that instant this trip was far more expensive than I’d hoped it’d be.

NOOOOOO

As soon as I got out of the car, I knew I’d struck gold when 2 hot air balloons floated into view.

Awesome. Looks like a great spot. I don't think we did that trail. Now I have a reason to go back.

Zach, sat in the car like a dud and party-pooped.

Come on, man! When are you going to be here again?

Oh, nice, I love that drive!

Hard to keep your eyes on the road in that area with so much to see around you.

Of course. Why make it easy?

My best guess is that too many quarter machines were lifted. People can suck sometimes.

Awesome. Looks like a great spot. I don't think we did that trail. Now I have a reason to go back.

It was a pretty easy hike. I didn't go too far and was really hoofing it so I could get better shots of the balloons without the stupid power lines in them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter