The ABCs of Greece & Italy! X, Y, and Z, and that Friends is THE END!!! :) See you in Asia and Australia, Join Me THERE!!

The landscape pictures are just gorgeous!! The first one looks almost like a painting!

IMG_7911-2-L.jpg
I love the authentic/traditional looking puppets next to the Disney-fied variety! I'm thinking the one you ended up buying was the former? But I am curious!!

T is for: The Oak of the Witches and Touring a Villa
A map of our day's route in several chapters:

Screenshot%20%28202%29-L.png

The next morning broke to glorious views over the valley, mist rising over the green and golden hills, the sun casting its warmth on the side of our 500-year-old apartment. The cats came to say an early good morning as we got ourselves ready for our busy day ahead.

IMG_8061-M.jpg

IMG_8066-2-M.jpg

IMG_8062-2-M.jpg

Gingerly, I made my way down the well-worn steps with no recollection of any breakfast or coffee.

Shocking, I know.

IMG_8042-2-L.jpg

We wound our way down the mountainside as the fog below cleared setting out first to find a new phone charging cable. Somewhere during the last 24 hours I’d lost mine never to be found again. With my battery dying by the minute and the stress factor rising, we limped into the grocery “super” store, or as much as “super” gets in Italy. There are no mega-markets like our Walmart here, so you get what you get. I just prayed we’d find a Lightning Cable before I was completely out of luck!!

One more view of the hillside village of Collodi in the morning light as we passed by:

IMG_8072-2-L.jpg

Fortune smiled upon us and we found not only the cable I needed but also a nice lunch for take away. If memory serves, we had a little potato salad, a couple of croquettes that they heated up for us, and some focaccia with toppings. Sorry, no photo but I do remember it was tasty. Here are some of the options we saw- note the massive hanging hams and meats all wrapped for gift-giving!

IMG_7944-2-L.jpg

IMG_7945-2-L.jpg

IMG_7946-2-L.jpg

Back on the road, we made our way first to Il Quericione, in English The Oak of the Witches. It’s also nicknamed the Oak of Pinocchio. I found this informational that you might be interested in; if not, scroll on by, but when I was researching the area for off-the-beaten-path things to do, I thought it’d be fun. If you’re at all interested in where Uncle Walt may have gotten inspiration for his beloved story, this is for you!

“The monumental tree is located in Gragnano and it is has incredible proportions. Its trunk measures over 4 m and reaches the height of 25 m. It is recognized as a monumental tree of Italy, and it also appears on NATO maps as a military point of reference.

Two legends originated from its peculiar shape. The first one tells that the oak was the meeting point of witches, who danced and celebrated their rites on its top. The presence of the witches on the top of the oak had not allowed for the full growth of the branches, giving the tree its particular flat shape, with horizontal branches. For this reason, the tree is usually called 'oak of the witches'.

The second one is linked to the famous novel The Adventures of Pinocchio. The oak would then be the place where Pinocchio is hanged by the assassins who wanted to steal his gold coins. It is also the place where Pinocchio meets the Cat and the Fox, who later convince him to plant his coins in the Field of Miracles to grow a tree with gold coins. For this reason, the tree is also called Oak of Pinocchio.

It is said that the author of the novel, writing about the 'Land of Toys', was thinking about the Settembre Lucchese, a fair held in Lucca every September: the oak is in fact the middle point of the road from Collodi to Lucca.”

Sadly, my panorama photo is blurry, but the tree is so massive that there was no way it’d all fit into one photo. But here are the photos I did get, and I hope it gives you an idea of just how enormous this tree is!

IMG_7949-2-L.jpg

IMG_7950-2-L.jpg

IMG_7948-2-L.jpg

From there, we headed back up the dirt road that the tree is on and made our way to the Ponte San Quirico, an arched beauty just north of the city of Lucca. Our walk along the banks of the Serchio River- small and shallow but picturesque- was very refreshing. There were plenty of water birds, the sky was crisp with Autumn air, and it was nice to be taking a break from art and museums and out seeing some of Mother Nature.

IMG_7958-2-L.jpg
IMG_7947-2-L.jpg

IMG_7954-2-L.jpg

IMG_7956-2-L.jpg

Continued in the next post...

Last edited:
Continued from previous post...

Our stop was not long as our next destination was taking us to a splendorous villa, originally built in the early 1500’s- The Villa Reale di Marlia.

IMG_7963-L.jpg

We picnicked in the car as we drove to this quite worthy spot to stop at. I’ll post the Estate’s website and the Wiki article if you would like to read about its illustrious past, but its most interesting claim to fame was that it was Napolean’s sister’s summer home from 1806-1814. Many others have come and gone, and it recently underwent (ongoing) a massive renovation and is open to the public for tours, guided or self.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Marlia

https://villarealedimarlia.it/en/

We paid our entry fee (nominal) after finding a parking spot and found a place to sit at the little treat shop set in the expansive gardens with baked goodies and coffee while we planned our stroll.

IMG_7964-2-L.jpg

IMG_7965-2-L.jpg

This little guy gave us a chuckle as we wound our way along the path...

4FBAF840-D351-49FA-8FF1-8412DA6A578A-2-L.jpg

until it hissed at us... wherein we screamed like little girls and made a hasty exit.

IMG_7971-2-L.jpg

The gardens stretched for what seemed like miles with all kinds of themed areas: The Citrus Garden, the Rose Garden, the Camelia Garden, the Evergreen Garden, etc… Here are some of the photos of our wanderings about the property and I totally wished I’d had one of my Regency Era gowns on with a parasol for our visit! Being late in the Fall, there wasn't a ton blooming but it was absolutely beautiful nonetheless.

IMG_7975-2-L.jpg

A6326B9F-F0B3-44DC-AA22-39F466FA8291-2-L.jpg

IMG_7993-2-L.jpg

IMG_7990-2-L.jpg

EEE4C99C-0482-48C2-A923-68A937609F61-2-L.jpg

This little building is called Pan's Grotto. We were fascinated by the details and whimsy!

E3EF491E-1779-4E27-BF20-528608CDD2FA-2-L.jpg

One of my favorite outbuildings was the Chapel of Saint Frances Xavier. I thought the marble works in Florence were quite something, but Friends, check THESE out!!! Look at the lace and the petals!

IMG_7982-2-L.jpg

IMG_7983-2-L.jpg

IMG_7984-2-L.jpg

IMG_7985-2-L.jpg

IMG_7986-2-L.jpg

We saved the actual villa house for last; we enjoyed walking from room to room immensely, but sadly they did not allow any photography in the house. There was a docent sitting at the entrance with a hefty bank of security footage rolling and I wasn’t eager to break the rules. But I did pilfer some of the photos off of the interwebs so you can get an idea of the furnishings.

IMG_8052-Ti.jpg

IMG_8053-Ti.jpg

IMG_8054-Ti.jpg

1707451254233.png

They're too tiny to really see, but you might get the idea. If you are truly interested in what 16th century furnishings looked like, visit the website where I got the big photo above from. ;)

What was really quite astonishing was that the villa sat empty for many, many years with all of its original furnishings intact and each piece was meticulously restored using local artisans. Not just the furniture, but every fresco was re-painted, every plaster frieze was resorted to as close as they could get to its original state, the plumbing re-done…. Everything! It’s really quite something of an undertaking! Here's a little info-banner of a pre-restoration and after-:

IMG_7999-2-L.jpg

My rebellion did get the better of me as we walked out onto the upper-level porch where I shot one photo through the glass of the library. I mean, the rules said “no photography INSIDE the house”.

IMG_7997-2-L.jpg

Again, we didn’t linger too very long as we had another attraction we wanted to get to for the remainder of our day. Stay tuned for Montecatini Terme and the Tettucio Spa!

Not a bad way to be, actually...
Sometimes I get to enjoy that. Not often.
Things to see! You can sleep when you get back.
True, except I've been a full-time student for.... ever, and at times working full time too. And it ain't over yet. :(
So... you're saying it's an irritant.
Well... not exactly. No.
Liesa walked out the door... and was never seen again. To this day, the townsfolk swear that they can hear a disembodied voice crying out: "Where am I????"
LOL!!! I'd love to be "lost" in Tuscany...
I found this so fascinating! What would cause those indentations in the brick? Is that from cold/heat cycles over centuries? Or perhaps it withstood some cannon ball hits in some distant war?
Who knows. My guess is simply the ravages of time and maybe simple weathering. But if I had had time to linger there, I may have considered a guided tour.
This one too... what are those arches for? Purely decorative? Or was there some purpose?
I wondered the exact same thing. Like... how? and WHY?!
Love this narrow alley with the bridges at different heights.
I know!!!! I mean, the architecture is so fascinating to me.
It was installed about two years ago and then "distressed" so it would look older.

:rolleyes1
I think probably not... ;)
Love the clock tower
San Gimignano is actually famous for its many towers. There is quite an interesting history of them if you're interested...
I wonder what this was for? Tying up horses, maybe?
That's certainly what I thought...
:laughing: That got your attention, did it?
Yes, Sirree!
3...4... hours?
If I'd let her... maybe.

but I didn't. (let her)
:lmao: Nothing gets the heart pumping quicker than being terrified with a threat!
LOL!!! Move it girl, or you be walkin'!!

Nice. Not crowded is a good thing.
Love having places like this to mostly myself!
Well.... considering it was supposed to be in Italian, I'd say that was very generous of the guide to do any at all.
It really was! Very nice of her for sure!
Even then, people had to hold down two jobs to get by.

:rolleyes:
So not much has changed!
Yeah... that expression... "Great. Flooded again."
Guess that's what dikes are for!
Everyone needs a hobby.
YAY!!! Autopsy time!
Too bad. No trying your hand at an autopsy for you. I guess they get their "volunteers" from the tourists who wander off on their own.
The ones who really wanted to see what was down those closed off tunnels!
And to the right is where the servicing happens....

:rolleyes1
:rolleyes: You can get your laundry done while you "wait".
Cool! I wonder what it says. I know Aqua, of course, but... the other word looks like aventur... adventure? As in water undertaking, perhaps?
Maybe? No idea at all. But it is super neato to see original and OLD stuff.
Love the green.
I loved the stark contrast of orange against green. The whole tour was amazing!
No way!! How cool is that?!?
Right?! The whole thing was just so cool!

The tunnel is fascinating. It is hard to image what it would have been like to work underground like this. Is the tunnel only under the hospital or does it run under more area than that. I read some of the supporting lit but I had a hard time understanding how extensive it is.

It almost reminds me of books like Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserable with descriptions of their underground areas.
It really was! VERY worth the stop and I'm so glad I found it! The tunnel is only excavated about 700 meters, so not far, but plenty to see in that short distance! They are actively excavating more each year so I imagine it'll grow. Right now I think it's mostly under the town square area but know that it stretches (they think) much further.

I had actually though of Phantom when we were under there. Creepy and interesting all at the same time!

Wow, what a cool find! It's a shame more people don't venture there.

I was thinking the same thing--it would be really cool to be able to wander through these areas and explore a bit more.
Hey Jackie! Thanks for sticking with me to the bitter end! LOL!! I have a few more updates to go and am frantically trying to finish this TR up before I head overseas again. YIKES!!! 12 days!

It really was a cool find and am so glad I did find it for us!

Great! You're sure making it sound inviting. :)
It was absolutely lovely!
Mowed????
Okay, okay... plowed. Sheesh, picky, picky, picky!! ;)
Actually, I think you could do it for less. Much less. Even less than a billion dollars.
Hmmm....
Really like this artsy little shot. :)
Thanks!! Once in a while I get a good one!
Love this too. Reminds me of a scene from the movie Gladiator.

1707360974622.png
Now THAT is interesting!
Good thing you had earlier practice with the standard transmission.
I learned on one. ON HILLS no less.
hmmm...
Don't think those lessons are being taught overly much these days.
No. Sadly not.
Oh dear...

Disregard my earlier comment about the transmission practice.
OH it was all good. I'm sure the rental companies replace a clutch or two now and then. LOL!
I know just what's going on here! :)
You do?! Cuz I sure didn't. EEK!!! :scared:
I dunno... I can imagine quite a few...

Okay... after seeing the photos, I'll cede the point.
Good boy.
Thanks for clarifying. Had no idea.

:rolleyes:

:laughing:
Oddly, a lot of folks don't. They see cafe and think diner like eggs and bacon.
Someone got it!!! Excellently done!
I'd buy a cookie even without having to use it.
You make a fair point.
Um... that can apply to... pretty much every church in the world. You're lucky you didn't wind up in another country.
Except that there was likely only one in Petrognano.
"Ha. Ha. Ha... Yes. Very funny.... Get out and walk."
Or worse.... drive.
:scared:
How worried were you about scraping the paint and there goes your insurance?
Nah, I had a gecko on my side.
"most"?????
I recall a few bites even with it.
Everyone needs a guardian gecko...

1707361450506.png
YES!
I love this. I have (had?) a very similar photo from Germany.
I hope you can find it. :)

The landscape pictures are just gorgeous!! The first one looks almost like a painting!

I love the authentic/traditional looking puppets next to the Disney-fied variety! I'm thinking the one you ended up buying was the former? But I am curious!!
Thanks again, Jackie! It was super fun seeing how they celebrate their town's legend!!

I did too, but went with the one more colorful since Disney was a big part of the inspiration of going to Italy at all and this town in particular. :)

“In 1880, he began writing Storia di un burattino (Story of a Marionette), also called Le avventure di Pinocchio, which was published weekly in Giornale per i bambini. Pinocchio was adapted into a 1940 film by Disney that is considered to be one of Disney's greatest films.”
I didn't realize that Pinocchio was from an old fable, but I should have known. ;) It looks like a fun place to visit.
This was as authentic of a rural homestay as Rita’s estate in Bari and I immediately fell head-over-heels in love with where we’d chosen.
It looks like a wonderful place to hang out for a few days. :)
the tree is so massive that there was no way it’d all fit into one photo.
The tree is very interesting with its crazy branches in all directions.
What was really quite astonishing was that the villa sat empty for many, many years with all of its original furnishings intact and each piece was meticulously restored using local artisans. Not just the furniture, but every fresco was re-painted, every plaster frieze was resorted to as close as they could get to its original state, the plumbing re-done…. Everything!
It is astonishing that the villa stayed intact. It is gorgeous.

I didn't realize that Pinocchio was from an old fable, but I should have known. ;) It looks like a fun place to visit.
It really was! Such fun art and you can really tell the locals are into it. There is a kids' park themed from the story with interactive things to do, but we didn't want to pay to get in.
It looks like a wonderful place to hang out for a few days. :)
If I'd do it all over I'd skip Naples and stay in Tuscany for an extra few days, yes. Paolo's was really a treasure.
The tree is very interesting with its crazy branches in all directions.
It reminded me very much of the Angel Oak in South Carolina. I've visited that one too and I think it's actually bigger than this one. But it was impressive nonetheless and worth a stop.
It is astonishing that the villa stayed intact. It is gorgeous.
I know!!!!! Crazy!! They have done such an amazing job and now use it for "for profit" events like weddings and such. Just amazing!

A map of our day's route in several chapters:
With a wide berth around Florence, I note.
our 500-year-old apartment.
This gets me. It's not some archaelogical wonder... it's just an apartment. But 500 years old.
Reminds me of a story I read when you (USA) were celebrating your bicentennial.
European: "What are you celebrating?"
US citizen: "Our bicentennial. Our country is 200 years old."
European: "Oh! Our new roof is 200 years old."
Beautiful.
Gingerly, I made my way down the well-worn steps
Nothing says vacation like a broken leg.
Somewhere during the last 24 hours I’d lost mine never to be found again.
Hmm... I need to remember this. While I don't recall if I've ever lost a cable, I did forget a camera charger once. Need to think about packing spares in the future, for just these events.
Fortune smiled upon us and we found not only the cable I needed but also a nice lunch for take away.
Nice two-fer.
Here are some of the options we saw- note the massive hanging hams and meats all wrapped for gift-giving!
I could live in this store. :)
It’s also nicknamed the Oak of Pinocchio.
Fail. Oak of Pinoke would be better. Or Oak-eeoh of Pinocchio.
here are the photos I did get, and I hope it gives you an idea of just how enormous this tree is!
::yes::
originally built in the early 1500’s- The Villa Reale di Marlia.
Everything is so old!
found a place to sit at the little treat shop set in the expansive gardens with baked goodies and coffee
You had me at baked goodies.
This little guy gave us a chuckle as we wound our way along the path...

4FBAF840-D351-49FA-8FF1-8412DA6A578A-2-L.jpg

until it hissed at us... wherein we screamed like little girls and made a hasty exit.
:rotfl:
Here are some of the photos of our wanderings about the property
Pretty place. :)
I totally wished I’d had one of my Regency Era gowns on with a parasol for our visit!
Now that would have been a photo op!
This little building is called Pan's Grotto. We were fascinated by the details and whimsy!
Thanks for the video. Lots of details in there!
I thought the marble works in Florence were quite something, but Friends, check THESE out!!! Look at the lace and the petals!
The ability to take a solid chunk of rock... and make it look like that? I could almost cry at how much more talented these artisans are than... well, me.
What was really quite astonishing was that the villa sat empty for many, many years with all of its original furnishings intact and each piece was meticulously restored using local artisans.
Huh!
My rebellion did get the better of me as we walked out onto the upper-level porch where I shot one photo through the glass of the library. I mean, the rules said “no photography INSIDE the house”.
Signora, per favore venga con noi. Sei in arresto per appropriazione culturale.
Stay tuned for Montecatini Terme and the Tettucio Spa!
Staying tuned!

Sometimes I get to enjoy that. Not often.
But touring time is not sleeping time. You can vacation that way... but not when there's so much to see!
True, except I've been a full-time student for.... ever, and at times working full time too. And it ain't over yet. :(
Okay... then sleep on your next vacation. Wait.... That's coming up. I have a suspicion that you didn't schedule in too much down time on that one either!
Well... not exactly. No.
;)
LOL!!! I'd love to be "lost" in Tuscany...
Who knows. My guess is simply the ravages of time and maybe simple weathering. But if I had had time to linger there, I may have considered a guided tour.
Frost/melt cycles can move mountains.
Yes, Sirree!
LOL!!! Move it girl, or you be walkin'!!

But touring time is not sleeping time. You can vacation that way... but not when there's so much to see!
Correct! Stuff to see, things to do!!!!
Okay... then sleep on your next vacation. Wait.... That's coming up. I have a suspicion that you didn't schedule in too much down time on that one either!
I did not. And if you're interested, I did start a PTR/TR for that one. :)
Frost/melt cycles can move mountains.
Elsa would be so proud of you!

So not much has changed!
Oh, no. Things have changed. Now people need to hold down three jobs to make ends meet.
Guess that's what dikes are for!
Well, I'll be dam-ed. You're right!
YAY!!! Autopsy time!
The ones who really wanted to see what was down those closed off tunnels!
Gotta get 'em from somewhere.
:rolleyes: You can get your laundry done while you "wait".
Very convenient.

Hmmm... business idea?
Okay, okay... plowed. Sheesh, picky, picky, picky!! ;)
;)
Thanks!! Once in a while I get a good one!
I'd say more than just once in a while. :)
I learned on one. ON HILLS no less.
Meh... Just means you get to coast right into 2nd.

;)
OH it was all good. I'm sure the rental companies replace a clutch or two now and then. LOL!
"Marco, go get another clutch from inventory. We've got another tourist from across the pond wanting to rent."
Oddly, a lot of folks don't. They see cafe and think diner like eggs and bacon.
Really? :confused3
Someone got it!!! Excellently done!
<brushes imaginary dust off shoulders> T'weren't nuthin'.
Except that there was likely only one in Petrognano.
Fine, fine. Have it your way.
Or worse.... drive.
:rotfl2:
Nah, I had a gecko on my side.

With a wide berth around Florence, I note.
Funny you should mention that....

I totally forgot to write about that fiasco and will add it to the next chapter!
This gets me. It's not some archaelogical wonder... it's just an apartment. But 500 years old.
Reminds me of a story I read when you (USA) were celebrating your bicentennial.
European: "What are you celebrating?"
US citizen: "Our bicentennial. Our country is 200 years old."
European: "Oh! Our new roof is 200 years old."
LOL!! WOW, isn't that some added perspective!
Nothing says vacation like a broken leg.
:scared1:

Or a cruise stricken with noro.
Hmm... I need to remember this. While I don't recall if I've ever lost a cable, I did forget a camera charger once. Need to think about packing spares in the future, for just these events.
I've forgotten SD cards on trips. Totally sucked.
I could live in this store. :)
For quite a while, probably.
Fail. Oak of Pinoke would be better. Or Oak-eeoh of Pinocchio.
Those are solids!
Everything is so old!
RIGHT?! And in great shape too which speaks to the craftsmanship.
You had me at baked goodies.
Yes, the same guy who'd buy a cookie just because. ;)
Now that would have been a photo op!
for sure!!!! And fun too! I keep getting photos in my FB feed from Venice Carnival. I'd die to go see it someday.
Thanks for the video. Lots of details in there!
I have big plans to take FAR more video on my upcoming trip!
The ability to take a solid chunk of rock... and make it look like that? I could almost cry at how much more talented these artisans are than... well, me.
I was stunned at these. Honestly, I was way more mesmerized than most I saw in Florence at the 3 museums we went to.
Signora, per favore venga con noi. Sei in arresto per appropriazione culturale.
Goes to Google translate...

Correct! Stuff to see, things to do!!!!
Funny you should mention that....

I totally forgot to write about that fiasco and will add it to the next chapter!
That's why I'm here. To remind you of the things you forgot to mention while I was stashed in the trunk of the car.

Um...
Er...

I mean... Lucky guess!
LOL!! WOW, isn't that some added perspective!
Or a cruise stricken with noro.
Ew... nor that.
I've forgotten SD cards on trips. Totally sucked.
Oh, no! :(
All those memories... poof!
RIGHT?! And in great shape too which speaks to the craftsmanship.
Yes, the same guy who'd buy a cookie just because. ;)
That's me!
for sure!!!! And fun too! I keep getting photos in my FB feed from Venice Carnival. I'd die to go see it someday.
No FB photos, but... yes!
I was stunned at these. Honestly, I was way more mesmerized than most I saw in Florence at the 3 museums we went to.
I'm really surprised by that.

Oh, no. Things have changed. Now people need to hold down three jobs to make ends meet.
:sad2:
Well, I'll be dam-ed. You're right!
You're not holding back....
Gotta get 'em from somewhere.
1707515773976.jpeg
Very convenient.

Hmmm... business idea?
OH sure! I hear it's lucrative!
Meh... Just means you get to coast right into 2nd.

;)
Good point. Vroom, vroom!
"Marco, go get another clutch from inventory. We've got another tourist from across the pond wanting to rent."
:car: :rotfl:
Really.
<brushes imaginary dust off shoulders> T'weren't nuthin'.
You're on a roll.
That's why I'm here. To remind you of the things you forgot to mention while I was stashed in the trunk of the car.

Um...
Er...

I mean... Lucky guess!
HAHA!!! Stowaway!
Oh, no! :(
All those memories... poof!
Nah still have those. Well, sometimes.
No FB photos, but... yes!
Some are really outstanding.
I'm really surprised by that.
I keep finding wonderful hidden gems by getting off the beaten path.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter