The 150th Running of the Kentucky Derby

For Kentucky horse racing, Keeneland in Lexington can't be beat. It's just beautiful. They've been improving the looks of Churchill for 15-20 years, and it has gotten better, but I still think Keeneland is a notch above.

It's about 90 minutes from Churchill.
I like Keeneland and would agree. And yeah, they needed to improve Churchill. It was getting kind of run down to be honest. And they have some derby prep races where you can see some contenders for the Derby. Encino (scratched from the Derby) won there just a short while back. Sierra Leone has a chance to break the Blue Grass drought.

So, I am an Indiana gal, but could not be any closer to Louisville, Kentucky. Churchill Downs, where they run the Derby is about 20 minutes from my house.

We have been “partying” here for 2 weeks. It starts with Thunder over Louisville… one of the biggest/biggest air and fireworks shows in the nation. Many schools were off today for the Oaks race. It used to be the “locals day at the race” but that has now become crazy commercial too. Thurby became a thing years ago (Thursday) but is now quite crowded too. Many locals are starting to go even earlier in the week… dresses, hats, the works. It’s a super fun week.

So, do you watch the Derby? Have you ever attended?
My wife likes horses and has one that is trained in show jumping. So every year we attend a derby event where it’s televised. I don’t care much for watching but go along as the event is nice and I’m sure my wife appreciates my going.

Just looked that the TV listing and the Kentucky Derby is scheduled to be broadcast for 5 HOURS. They only show the one race, so clearly there is over 4 1/2 hrs of filler...................LOL.

Just looked that the TV listing and the Kentucky Derby is scheduled to be broadcast for 5 HOURS. They only show the one race, so clearly there is over 4 1/2 hrs of filler...................LOL.
I'd much rather they just shut the bleeep up and show the other races.

HUGE horse racing fan here ! I watch it every weekend and all day on big race days. Follow horses on instagram!! I love following these horses from birth to the sales to the Breeders Cup as 2 yr old to the prep races all through the Triple Crown races - the boys and I follow the girls and I love when we have a girl that can beat the boys !!! I could chat horse racing all day !! Been a fan since I was a little kid !!
Beautiful majestic animals !!! ❤️❤️❤️🐎🏇

We lived in Louisville from 2007-2012 and loved it! DW was in media so she went to many Derby related events including backstage stuff. We didn't get to the Derby but we were at some event/party watching it each year. Louisville is a wonderful place, and it's even more special during Derby season.

Related bonus material: We saw the Stones at Churchill Downs, Alice Cooper was the opening act!

We lived in Louisville from 2007-2012 and loved it! DW was in media so she went to many Derby related events including backstage stuff. We didn't get to the Derby but we were at some event/party watching it each year. Louisville is a wonderful place, and it's even more special during Derby season.

Related bonus material: We saw the Stones at Churchill Downs, Alice Cooper was the opening act!
Further unrelated - going to see Alice Cooper (2nd time) and Rob Zombie in Sept! 🖤🖤

Over the years I have turned anti-horse racing, especially 3 year olds. I know there is a lot of tradition around it, but it needs to change. It is animal abuse.

We got married on Kentucky derby day, our favors were otb tickets, had the guests sign them and put them in a box, winners were mailed cash with their thank you note.
My in-laws were married in Indiana on derby day in 1947. MIL's father had a lot of family in Louisville, and they were not pleased with having to attend a wedding that day.

There are other races all day,
I don't need to be educated that there are other races all day. I said as much up thread.

They usually run about 10-12 races a day on the card. The Kentucky Derby is race 12 on a 14 race schedule this year.
🤫
they broadcast them live.
NBC came on the air at 2:30. That's after the 8th race was complete. So that's 8 out of the 14 races they won't broadcast live. They won't be broadcasting the races after the Derby on NBC either. So that's 10 out of 14 that won't be broadcast live on NBC. That's 71% of them. And did you notice the spacing between races has increased since NBC came on the air? Yeah, that was the network's doing too. We're just now seeing the Old Forester Turf. No post parade. Nothing other than a preliminary graphic of horses. But why do that when they can show the people what they really want. a $5,000 Mint Julep in a keepsake gold leafed glass!!! By golly my life is now complete. I've seen a $5,000 cocktail in a gold leafed glass. Thanks NBC!!! And they had trouble loading the gate or we wouldn't have seen that. So. In 5 hours of coverage we're going to get 8 minutes of actual racing and a lot of commercials and yapping and filler. If they stuck to their half hour schedule, we'd be seeing a lot more racing and a lot less yapping. Yet again network coverage is garbage.

NBC came on the air at 2:30. That's after the 8th race was complete. So that's 8 out of the 14 races they won't broadcast live. They won't be broadcasting the races after the Derby on NBC either. So that's 10 out of 14 that won't be broadcast live on NBC. That's 71% of them. And did you notice the spacing between races has increased since NBC came on the air? Yeah, that was the network's doing too. We're just now seeing the Old Forester Turf. No post parade. Nothing other than a preliminary graphic of horses. But why do that when they can show the people what they really want. a $5,000 Mint Julep in a keepsake gold leafed glass!!! By golly my life is now complete. I've seen a $5,000 cocktail in a gold leafed glass. Thanks NBC!!! And they had trouble loading the gate or we wouldn't have seen that. So. In 5 hours of coverage we're going to get 8 minutes of actual racing and a lot of commercials and yapping and filler. If they stuck to their half hour schedule, we'd be seeing a lot more racing and a lot less yapping. Yet again network coverage is garbage.
And the beauty is nobody forces you to watch. 😊

Local coverage starts here at 5am. We get to see all of the races because of that. Dh, the boys, and I place small bets thru the Twin Spires app all day just to make it more fun. I do agree, that it’s better when the races are not spread so far out.

What a Great Race !!!!!!! I myself enjoyed ALL the races today - we had storms since 3 power went out twice 😳 so afraid I would lose it before the big race !!! Thankfully I didn’t because it was a great race ! I picked the First & second just not in that order 🤣🤣
The trainer is thinking of running the Kentucky Oaks winner in the Preakness!! She’s bigger than some of the boys and could probably beat them !!! She’s got Uncle Mo & Medagelia d ‘Oro bloodlines so she’s got speed!!

I live fairly close to the WEC (World Equestrian Center) and they have a massive show ring with jumbotrons showing the race. Since many Derby horses can trace their roots to Marion County, Fl., it's a big deal.

I'll watch once the pre-race gets to about 1/2 hour before the chutes open.
My dad lived in Marion County and loved seeing the horses

We visited Churchill Downs, non derby time, enjoyed the tour. We also toured Keeneland, how beautiful. We Old Friends where they save Thorobreds when they can no longer race and have ended their studding days.

As far as the triple crown, the only one we’ve been to is The Belmont and that’s crazy crowded but it was a fun day.

Won by a nose really applied today!

I was pulling for the poor horse from Japan that had to travel so far.

That can't be good for a horse to be on a plane that long,even though it didn't make the whole trip at once.

I am in MD so my family has always watched the 3 races on tv have never been to the Preakness.

We watched it on TV here in IN.... I know nothing about horse racing. We just picked our one to cheer for while watching the pre-race show. I was cheering for the one who had the Seattle Seahawks colors because I liked the color scheme. I just happen to find that combination of colors to be cool. One of our friends picked the one that finished 2nd.

Which horse won the Kentucky Derby? And why was Encino scratched from the race? Was he injured? Because I know he was the favorite to run in the Derby

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter