Thanks UKboard - Last minute ?'s ds leaves in 48hrs for London!

uromac

DIS Veteran
Hi!

Just a note of thanks for everyone's help her on the UKboards as my ds (20) leaves on Monday for his semester abroad in London. We are all excited and he is looking forward to going learning and experiencing the UK. My only concerns are the normal 'safety' concerns a 'mum' has ;), I am now getting a little anxious really because he is one of handful of students that a going to live in 'independent housing' which they have to find within a weeks time :rolleyes1. I would feel better if I were there to check things out - ;), but the school assures me no one has gone homeless and they will have rental agents and school officials to help them out ;)! I just would like some final independent advice from the boards about what he should look for and look out for in areas, pitfalls, etc... He will be attending school near the British Museum area and will put up in a hotel for a week while they search for housing. The school is located in the British Museum area and I believe that most 'dorm' students are going to be housed around the Tottenham/Holborn tube area. I would personally like him to be close to the school, yet have the opportunity to experience the real London. He is attending the NY based - Syracuse Univesity London program and as he goes to The George Washington University in Washington DC and he has 1 acquaintance for his own school. However, I would like him to bond with the group as he is a somewhat of a reserved person - so he should fit in as he is not a very 'loud' American kid :goodvibes! Any suggestions - pros and cons, what to look for, etc.. As he will be living in a short term furnished let, he will be needing a few home items immediately - primarily I believe bedding and linens, etc.. Can anyone recommend a relatively good quality yet inexpensive and convenient store such as a Target, Walmart here in the US, where they can do a 'one stop' shop for all their needs? Finally what is the best way and least expensive way for us to contact each other phone wise (he just unlocked his AT&T iphone) for us here in the US to him in the UK and for him to call the US (BTW, we will also have skype and email),

Thanks in advance!

I think most universities have an accommodation officer who should have a list of reputable landlords. They must be used to settling overseas students.

As for basic supplies, the places you mention are in central London so I don't think there will be any large supermarkets that carry household goods nearby. (I got most of my son's stuff for uni from a large Tesco store. Asda is another easonably priced shop.) I think he may be able to get things from John Lewis or Debenhams in Oxford Street which are a couple of less expensive departmant stores. Or there is an Argos catalogue shop in New Oxord Street not to far from the British Museum which may be a little cheaper.

Is his phone a tri band phone? if it isn't it may not work in the UK as we need a tri band to work in the US.

As the PP mentioned, if he finds a Tesco, Asda (owned by Walmart) or Argos he will get cheap bedding. There will be plenty of places for this sort of thing as there are many Universities in London

Hi Again!

Just another quick question - we love amazon (which I know also has a UK site), , but are there other online shopping links anyone could recommend for reliable products and service? Also here we have the United Parcel Service (UPS) - a private company which delivers most packages quickly and efficiently vs. the U.S. Postal service - are there similar companies in the UK?

Thanks again!

Hi Again!

Just another quick question - we love amazon (which I know also has a UK site), , but are there other online shopping links anyone could recommend for reliable products and service? Also here we have the United Parcel Service (UPS) - a private company which delivers most packages quickly and efficiently vs. the U.S. Postal service - are there similar companies in the UK?

Thanks again!
We also have UPS, FedEx and DHL.

Amazon UK is a good site, as is Play.com for other electricals. The majority of the big department stores also do online shopping - Marks & Spencer, John Lewis, Debenhams. Next are also pretty good. Depends on what you are looking for, really.

Good luck to your DS. :goodvibes

Is his phone a tri band phone? if it isn't it may not work in the UK as we need a tri band to work in the US.

From what I understand, phones that can work on AT&T and also T Mobile I think will be just fine over here.

From what I understand, phones that can work on AT&T and also T Mobile I think will be just fine over here.

Thats good to know, I thought I would ask as I would hate for him to get here & his phone not work:thumbsup2

Just sending all my best wishes! I am a student in Brighton (about an hour and a half away from London by train), but frequently go to London for research/ nights out/ getting home.

The only thing I would remind him of is that attitudes toward drinking here are different from that in the US. We can drink from 18, therefore universities can have a big drinking culture. There are other ways he can enjoy himself, but warn him that there can be peer pressure! (I know, I don't drink and most of my friends do)
If your DS needs any help or advice, just let me know!

Hi!

Just a note of thanks for everyone's help her on the UKboards as my ds (20) leaves on Monday for his semester abroad in London. We are all excited and he is looking forward to going learning and experiencing the UK. My only concerns are the normal 'safety' concerns a 'mum' has ;), I am now getting a little anxious really because he is one of handful of students that a going to live in 'independent housing' which they have to find within a weeks time :rolleyes1. I would feel better if I were there to check things out - ;), but the school assures me no one has gone homeless and they will have rental agents and school officials to help them out ;)! I just would like some final independent advice from the boards about what he should look for and look out for in areas, pitfalls, etc... He will be attending school near the British Museum area and will put up in a hotel for a week while they search for housing. The school is located in the British Museum area and I believe that most 'dorm' students are going to be housed around the Tottenham/Holborn tube area. I would personally like him to be close to the school, yet have the opportunity to experience the real London. He is attending the NY based - Syracuse Univesity London program and as he goes to The George Washington University in Washington DC and he has 1 acquaintance for his own school. However, I would like him to bond with the group as he is a somewhat of a reserved person - so he should fit in as he is not a very 'loud' American kid :goodvibes! Any suggestions - pros and cons, what to look for, etc.. As he will be living in a short term furnished let, he will be needing a few home items immediately - primarily I believe bedding and linens, etc.. Can anyone recommend a relatively good quality yet inexpensive and convenient store such as a Target, Walmart here in the US, where they can do a 'one stop' shop for all their needs? Finally what is the best way and least expensive way for us to contact each other phone wise (he just unlocked his AT&T iphone) for us here in the US to him in the UK and for him to call the US (BTW, we will also have skype and email),

Thanks in advance!

Most 20 year old university students don't live in dorms; they rent private housing. There will be plenty advertised.

Primark will supply him with very cheap bedding, towels etc. which will be fine for a semester.

To contact him, I would just use Skype unless it's an emergency?

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions!

We just dropped him off at Newark airport and he will be arriving at Heathrow Tuesday morning at 9am!

I will let everyone how he's doing once he's settled in (or if I have any questions ;) !

Thanks again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter