Tesla owners...should we get one?

I had a Tesla Model S. I loved it! It was the best car I ever owned until...

I got into a minor fender bender in a parking lot. Basically, a woman ran a stop sign and I hit her passenger door (her fault because she blew the stop sign). The damage to my front was minor. Pretty much "bumper" damage. I was driving 20mph.

Repairs cost somewhere around $10,000 and took almost 6 months. Thankfully her insurance paid for everything. It took so long because the parts were not easy to get from CA. After that frustration, we got rid of it. I didn't want to have to deal with not having a car for that long again. You can't just take it to a local body shop for repairs. You have to take it to a Tesla service center (which is an hour away from us).

After we sold it I got a hybrid Volvo sedan and it's awesome! It's smaller than my Tesla (that was a boat), and I really do love it as much as I loved the Tesla.

I don't have one, but I'm looking to buy a Model Y this year, also.

We ended up getting the Y. It's awesome. It's unlike any driving experience I've ever had....sooooo much fun to drive. The acceleration is incredible. Great handling. We love the minimalist interior. Early days, but so far....we love it. With any other car we've ever had, by a week or so later the newness kind of wears off and it's just getting you from place to place. This is very different.

I had a Tesla Model S. I loved it! It was the best car I ever owned until...

I got into a minor fender bender in a parking lot. Basically, a woman ran a stop sign and I hit her passenger door (her fault because she blew the stop sign). The damage to my front was minor. Pretty much "bumper" damage. I was driving 20mph.

Repairs cost somewhere around $10,000 and took almost 6 months. Thankfully her insurance paid for everything. It took so long because the parts were not easy to get from CA. After that frustration, we got rid of it. I didn't want to have to deal with not having a car for that long again. You can't just take it to a local body shop for repairs. You have to take it to a Tesla service center (which is an hour away from us).

After we sold it I got a hybrid Volvo sedan and it's awesome! It's smaller than my Tesla (that was a boat), and I really do love it as much as I loved the Tesla.

I work in insurance claims, and this is the norm any time we have a claim involving a Tesla. Last year we had one take almost an entire year to repair. The owner was furious that he was making payments on his Tesla and driving a rental, but understood that it wasn’t our fault. He also traded it in after repairs were complete. Definitely something to keep in mind, any “minor” damage will be expensive and lengthy.

I work in insurance claims, and this is the norm any time we have a claim involving a Tesla. Last year we had one take almost an entire year to repair. The owner was furious that he was making payments on his Tesla and driving a rental, but understood that it wasn’t our fault. He also traded it in after repairs were complete. Definitely something to keep in mind, any “minor” damage will be expensive and lengthy.
Does this affect insurance rates for the rental car coverage? Since you assume the rental will be months instead of days?

Does this affect insurance rates for the rental car coverage? Since you assume the rental will be months instead of days?

You will need to know what your rental coverage covers, if you opt to have that coverage on your policy. Most folks in our state have rental coverage of $30/day up to $900 max. There are a small number of folks who have $50/day, up to a max of $1,500. Clearly, this isn’t enough to cover the full repair time. Other states have different limits. And, if you’re not at fault, but making the claim against the other person’s policy, you’ll want to know what is allowed for claimants in your state. In ours, we owe for “loss of use”, which means we don’t have to provide a rental vehicle. We can offer cash per day (of repair time, not including parts delays) and if we do provide a rental, it does not have to be comparable to the damaged vehicle.

You will need to know what your rental coverage covers, if you opt to have that coverage on your policy. Most folks in our state have rental coverage of $30/day up to $900 max. There are a small number of folks who have $50/day, up to a max of $1,500. Clearly, this isn’t enough to cover the full repair time. Other states have different limits. And, if you’re not at fault, but making the claim against the other person’s policy, you’ll want to know what is allowed for claimants in your state. In ours, we owe for “loss of use”, which means we don’t have to provide a rental vehicle. We can offer cash per day (of repair time, not including parts delays) and if we do provide a rental, it does not have to be comparable to the damaged vehicle.
Makes sense. I only remember seeing it as an add on when reviewing my policy but I never read the fine print. I'm sure there is a limit on it. 👍

If I'm driving home in a Tesla on a freezing February night and snow and ice causes an accident on the highway resulting in an unexpected two hour delay, will the Tesla be able to run its heater and keep us warm all that time?

If I'm driving home in a Tesla on a freezing February night and snow and ice causes an accident on the highway resulting in an unexpected two hour delay, will the Tesla be able to run its heater and keep us warm all that time?

This is one thing I love about Tesla (maybe other EVs as well? Haven’t had another brand EV and so not exactly sure). I can run the AC and heater for a long time without ever having to smell gasoline burning.

If you ever plan on going on long road trips with an EV, Tesla is the best choice as they have the largest fast charging network. But, if you’re just running errands locally and never venturing out, then any EV would be just fine.

The acceleration, handling, and safety of a Tesla is unmatched by other EVs as well. Just take a look at all the crash test videos and you’ll see that Tesla is above all others.

Well, I can tell you that five minutes ago I turned on "climate" in our Model Y, it was 40 degrees in the interior. Within 4.5 minutes it is where I set it...67 degrees and the driver's heated seat is on. I have a remote starter in my ML350 (which we're about to sell), and used it frequently on very cold/warm days, but it would definitely take longer to get to the desired temp.

So yes, it will definitely keep you warm. However, just like an ICE auto, the length of time it will keep you warm depends on how much "gas" you have...in the case of the EV....battery power. I do know that the heat/ac pump in the model Y has gotten good reviews...I think with respect to the model 3.

In my non Tesla EV that also does not have a heat pump, Tesla has just recently started using heat pumps, I see about a 20% reduction in range using resistive heat.

The heat draws about 3-4 kWh while in typical use. The AC draws about 1 kWh while in use.

Assuming a full 66 kW battery I could be kept warm for over 16 hours or cool for 66 hours.

A heat pump Tesla would draw about the same 1 kWh for heat.

If you have a really long, 100+ mile each way, commute and no way to charge at work, then winter accidents could be a worry. Otherwise it is a non issue.

Last edited:
In my non Tesla EV that also does not have a heat pump, Tesla has just recently started using heat pumps, I see about a 20% reduction in range using resistive heat.

The heat draws about 3-4 kWh while in typical use. The AC draws about 1 kWh while in use.

Assuming a full 66 kW battery I could be kept warm for over 16 hours or cool for 66 hours.

A heat pump Tesla would draw about the same 1 kWh for heat.

If you have a really long, 100+ mile each way, commute and no way to charge at work, then winter accidents could be a worry. Otherwise it is a non issue.

If I’m taking a long trip and worried about my range because I’m trying to maximize, I use the seat warmers and turn down the heat. That’s more efficient and all my seats (standard feature?) have warmers in them.

I've had a Model S and a X. Loved, loved the drive. Our S was stellar, our X was a lemon.

SO so many components needed to fixed from both front control arms, airbag leveller on one side, door sensors, door latches, the cell microphone, the falcon wing door. It seemed like every component that could go, went. Oh, and the main computer thing - two weeks out of warranty. And they were awful to deal with around the computer - insisted that the problems we were in service for weeks earlier with troubles with booting up wasn't the computer issue that needed replacement and so wasn't covered under the warranty - despite it being the exact same issue that finally triggered the replacement when it wouldn't 'start' at all, and a well-known hard-drive issue. Our lease was with Tesla - when Covid hit us hard we asked for some help/deferral and was told nope, nada, nothing - reprehensible when so many companies offered some help or options.

I replaced it with a cheap KIA that has run flawlessly and has some better features believe it or not (like heated mirrors and a rear wiper - lol!). I so miss the drive of the Tesla - but not the constant headaches. The customer service with my S was amazing, and a few years later with the X it was so so different.

I've had a Model S and a X. Loved, loved the drive. Our S was stellar, our X was a lemon.

SO so many components needed to fixed from both front control arms, airbag leveller on one side, door sensors, door latches, the cell microphone, the falcon wing door. It seemed like every component that could go, went. Oh, and the main computer thing - two weeks out of warranty. And they were awful to deal with around the computer - insisted that the problems we were in service for weeks earlier with troubles with booting up wasn't the computer issue that needed replacement and so wasn't covered under the warranty - despite it being the exact same issue that finally triggered the replacement when it wouldn't 'start' at all, and a well-known hard-drive issue. Our lease was with Tesla - when Covid hit us hard we asked for some help/deferral and was told nope, nada, nothing - reprehensible when so many companies offered some help or options.

I replaced it with a cheap KIA that has run flawlessly and has some better features believe it or not (like heated mirrors and a rear wiper - lol!). I so miss the drive of the Tesla - but not the constant headaches. The customer service with my S was amazing, and a few years later with the X it was so so different.

Oh boy....the experience you had with the X sounds like a total nightmare. We'll hope for the best I guess. I have heard that body repairs can take a crazy long time, but have not run into anyone who has had major systems issues like you've had with your X.

So far I'm really enjoying this car....very different from other cars I've driven. There are a few things I'd change. The back window on the Y is very small, and no rear wiper. The seats are great, very comfortable and hug the body....more comfortable than my ML350 or my husband's Macan. I like the spartan nature of the interior, and I like the center console storage. But the lining on the door, and other parts of the interior are not as "luxe" as the German cars we've had. The driving experience of the Y itself is really, really cool....but this is our first EV, so it's a whole new deal to us.

We just got a Y in November. My husband loves it. I find it terrifying. Also, keep in mind if it is going to be your only car long road trips will take much longer and require planning. After mapping how much longer it would take to get to places we are likely to vaction/drive to we decided that we will always need a gas car.

We ended up getting the Y. It's awesome. It's unlike any driving experience I've ever had....sooooo much fun to drive. The acceleration is incredible. Great handling. We love the minimalist interior. Early days, but so far....we love it. With any other car we've ever had, by a week or so later the newness kind of wears off and it's just getting you from place to place. This is very different.
We’ve had the 3 for a year and half now and still have that feeling driving and just looking at the car. Could never go back to a gas car now, it’s just too convenient to have a ‘gas station’ in your garage and never have to worry about maintenance.

We just got a Y in November. My husband loves it. I find it terrifying. Also, keep in mind if it is going to be your only car long road trips will take much longer and require planning. After mapping how much longer it would take to get to places we are likely to vaction/drive to we decided that we will always need a gas car.
I sort of disagree with the road trip part. To me the Model Y is the perfect road trip car. The stops might take a little longer but you have built in entertainment with Netflix, YouTube and video games or can walk around a bit. Plus the planning of the stops is done for you when you set your destination.

I'm curious why you find it terrifying? The one pedal driving or the acceleration....both?

We're not "road trippers" at this time in our lives. We did that in our late 20s and 30s. We used to drive from NJ to the Florida Keys a lot, and we drove cross country as well. We did those long drives because we wanted or needed to bring our dogs with us. I did map out a trip to the Keys and California to see how that would look, and I can see where "range anxiety" can come into play, and yes, it added time to both of those trips allowing for charing time.

I've been nudging my husband in the direction of having just one car for a few years. The last lease on the Macan, and finally the pandemic sealed it for him I think. He has always worked from home. We have a Macan that goes back to Porsche at the end of this month. It's a 39 month lease....it has a little over *six* thousand miles on it. I own, and work in the field with my pet-sitting/dog walking business. I typically put about 14-15K miles on my car for work....and it's all local driving.

Reliability is going to be the real test of our plan obviously, because I need a car available. However, it's not exactly a high wire act....we have a rental car agency in my town for an emergency, and my sister is a 10 minute walk from my house and they have two cars...and both work from home. So I could borrow theirs in a pinch too. If the Y isn't reliable, we'd just buy another car and turn the Y in at the end of the lease. We decided on a 2 year lease to see how it goes. And since it will be my work car, we'll be able to write off all of my business miles. With the ML350 I got about 15 mpg. I spent about 3,500-4,500 between gas and repairs. Providing the Y is reliable, I'll make out way, way better than with the ML350.

DH has been looking at Tesla for awhile, but I think I mentioned earlier that we couldn't get the 3 in our driveway (steep apron), and the X was too pricey for us. We were able to get the Y right before NJ ditched the EV rebates (budget cuts due to Covid)...and it wasn't a small amount at $5,000...even for leases. We just had to not get the self-diving package to keep the price under 55K. And, while we had the charger installed, I can pop over to the local super charger because it's free...I think for the first year maybe?

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. Appreciate it!

We’ve had the 3 for a year and half now and still have that feeling driving and just looking at the car. Could never go back to a gas car now, it’s just too convenient to have a ‘gas station’ in your garage and never have to worry about maintenance.

This is definitely how we feel right now. My husband has said several times....if the reliability holds up that he can see never owning a gas car again. But, as I've said...early days. I didn't anticipate that it would be this much fun to drive. I really didn't understand it until I drove it, no matter how much my husband tried to explain it.

My friend has owned a Tesla for several years now and loves it. She did invest in a Tesla charging station in the house she recently sold and paid to have one installed in her new condo's garage. Two issues that she mentioned over the years would concern me. First, she often traveled between her primary home and her home on Cape Cod, a trip of about 4 hours. There was only one place along her usual route to recharge and so if that was out of order she would have to find an alternative. Luckily that never happened but it was always a worry since she traveled alone. Second issue was when she had a crack in her windshield. Tesla originally had her use Safelite but the fit wasn't perfect and leaked. After a couple of attempts to fix things, it eventually decided that Tesla had to replace it. Not only did she have to drive it to another state for the repair but it took months for Tesla to have the windshield for her. I think it's a problem when there is no dealer network and no one can fix your car because parts are not readily available as they are for other brands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter