Tesla at Aulani - charging?

WAstateDVCDaddy

DIS Veteran
When I was reserving a rental car, Budget had a great deal on a Tesla Model 3. Having driven my relatives Teslas I quickly made the reservation. At the price everyone else was charging for a standard compact car, I thought “why not?”.

Now I’m realizing - I may have driven them a lot, but I have never charged one… nor driven one to anything near empty! 🤪

I’m guessing I can use the chargers on the first floor or of the parking garage? Is there a charge for that? Do I need to install an app beforehand to pay? Do I need to return it “full” to the rental company? I really have no Idea how it’s going to work. Anyone have any firsthand knowledge they would like to share?

In worst case, we’ll charge it at the Four Seasons when we head over for brunch, but there’s got to be an easier way?

Aside from those chargers, be aware that there are not a lot of chargers on island.
Thanks! Yeah - we take them for granted around here, so it’s shocking to see how few there are.

Not too worried though - we won’t be driving much - as long as there’s a charger at/near Aulani, and one near our hotel in Waikiki (to top off when returning the car - if needed), I think that’s all we’ll need. We’ll probably do 150 miles tops while we’re visiting, I just like to have an operational plan for avoiding cutting ianythinh close. 😁

Thanks! Yeah - we take them for granted around here, so it’s shocking to see how few there are.

Not too worried though - we won’t be driving much - as long as there’s a charger at/near Aulani, and one near our hotel in Waikiki (to top off when returning the car - if needed), I think that’s all we’ll need. We’ll probably do 150 miles tops while we’re visiting, I just like to have an operational plan for avoiding cutting ianythinh close. 😁
I have been told by a friend who is local to the island that there is only one high speed charger, as well.

I have been told by a friend who is local to the island that there is only one high speed charger, as well.
Since there’s rarely ever a need to drive long distances on Oahu, I’m guessing overnight charging at home is pretty much all you need. It does make it interesting for the rental car industry though.

Since there’s rarely ever a need to drive long distances on Oahu, I’m guessing overnight charging at home is pretty much all you need. It does make it interesting for the rental car industry though.
Even at hotels the charging infrastructure is pretty limited. It's one of the reasons why they are cheap rentals -- the regular chargers are slow, and inconveniently located. Most people aren't going to want to do all that on an expensive vacation that is close to basically no one's origin point!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter