Ten Tips to save Disney

Arrrgh!

We have to wait for the other 5? :(

I wonder if Eisner is having trouble sleeping these days. ;)

Can someone e-mail this column to Ei$ner?

Lisa:cool:

Yes! Dead on accuarate. Bravo.

You know, its funny how we are seeing more an more of this kind of piece out there from all the well known business analysts. If this keeps up, I'm hoping Disney will have nochoice but to turn from their cost cutting ways. I don't beleive it yet, but if enough people continue to yell loud enough, there may be a chance that even Eisner will hear them.

I think Mr Mike's ego is much too large for him to even care. He is always right and never lies. ;)

People like Eisner have so much money they have absolutely no concept of reality or "the little people." As long as their till is overflowing, they couldn't care less.

Great letter though. I wish it could have positive influence.

Don't some of these tips seem like common sense? Why is it taking Disney so long to figure it out?

Galahad, I'm sure 'somebody' in Burbank will read it...I just hope the right guy in Burbakn reads it!!!
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

It's not a good sign when the dirty linen becomes public. I'm sure was not an accident.

WOW could this article be any closer to the truth....Please oh please someone(Esiner) listen to what this guy and most of us around here have been saying.

Let's face it Dinsey's biggest problem is Disney. For a company with so much $$$ they seem to spend as little as possible these days and don't give me that 9/11 crap when they enjoyed years of double-digit profits.

They show they can still produce world class parks and attractions when it is someone else footing the bill (TDS), but when they spend their own money you get the dreck that is DAK and DCA.

They keep adding things like Dino-rama (which is a joke) and ABC Get Happy! (or whatever it's called), which replaced the abyssmal "Doug Live" and they continue to build hotel after hotel to house more guests but do not add to the "Magic" which does not exist and if I hear that tired old line "if it has to be explained you just don't get it" I am going to throw up!

I personally have switched to IOA/USF just because they are currently more aggresive in their expansion plans.

Here's how to save Disney:

1) sell off ABC

2) sell off the Angels and Ducks sports teams (these are only Michael Eisner's ego toys at stock holder's expense)

3) stop wasting money on internet deals - get out of the internet business

4) Sell ESPN sports center - another huge waste.

5) Go back to the old Disney animation quality - stop it with the cookie cutter animation system. Atlantis was like watching a bad saturday morning cartoon.

6) If you build a theme park, build it right. Example - DCA vs DisneySea. It's like night and day. DCA is a low budget joke.

7) Forget trying to attract teenagers with thrill rides. Removing cool rides like Horizons and World of Motion to make room for more thrill rides was a big mistake. People go to Disney for the imagination and magic - not to see a Six Flags type roller coaster clone rides. Build a Horizons II ride at Epcot. How about Journey into the Center of the Earth ride over here? Build rides that take you on a journey into your imagination. Walt was a master at that but Disney (Michael Eisner) got away from that in the 90's.

8) Stop doing weird stuff like building Pop Century hotel. No way Walt would have approved that mess. Stick with the cool Disney themes.

9) Focus on Disney type movies. Princes gets the prince in the end type movie. Every time you leave a Disney movie, you should be humming some of the songs.

10) Focus on improving each theme park year after year. Put in more cool rides. Please no more Dumbo clone rides!!!

11) Disney needs to stop spreading themselves out too thin. Disney branches out into too many directions and the real magic gets watered down. Focus on creating the magic - never, ever get away from the magic!!!

I will say this...Fantasmic, Spectromagic parade and the fireworks are AWESOME!! That is what I love about Disney. Don't ever change that!!

I love Disney with all my heart. I think I should have been an imagineer. I want Disney to be the best and I only point these things out because I love Disney so much.

King Triton:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I'll respond to each of your points:
Originally posted by King Triton
Here's how to save Disney:
1) sell off ABC
I agree that it's kind of dead weight right now. It will be interesting to see what having John Madden in the booth does for the ratings. I think that aside from a few shows here & there, most of them suck.

2) sell off the Angels and Ducks sports teams (these are only Michael Eisner's ego toys at stock holder's expense)
I think while owning a baseball team is an expensive proposition, a hockey team requires a fraction of the money to have a successful franchise. I agree that naming the team the Ducks was a bad move as fans were a little hesitant to get on board, but from what I understand the Pond is getting butts in the seats, even with a bad product on the ice. If they threw more money into the kitty they could look at getting some real key aquisitions. If you don't think it's possible to get turn around after having a bad rep, take a look at the Dallas Mavericks. A couple years ago making the playoffs was a pipe dream, now people are expecting the playoffs to be made & an appearance in the finals in the next couple years.

3) stop wasting money on internet deals - get out of the internet business
I agree.

4) Sell ESPN sports center - another huge waste.
I couldn't disagree more. Owning ESPN is a cash cow & instead of griping that the audience is watching some channel showing sports, they're happy that the audience is watching their channel showing sports. It's still the premier sports channel & selling it would be a follish move IMO.

5) Go back to the old Disney animation quality - stop it with the cookie cutter animation system. Atlantis was like watching a bad saturday morning cartoon.
I agree. Although I personally liked Atlantis I could see how people wouldn't like it & I think Hunchback & Pocahontas shouldn't even granted the honor of having the Disney name on the cover.

6) If you build a theme park, build it right. Example - DCA vs DisneySea. It's like night and day. DCA is a low budget joke.
Agreed. I also think they should focus on fixing current parks that aren't on the same level as should be expected. I get so tired of hearing about a 5th park when AK & MGM aren't even up to snuff.

7) Forget trying to attract teenagers with thrill rides. Removing cool rides like Horizons and World of Motion to make room for more thrill rides was a big mistake. People go to Disney for the imagination and magic - not to see a Six Flags type roller coaster clone rides. Build a Horizons II ride at Epcot. How about Journey into the Center of the Earth ride over here? Build rides that take you on a journey into your imagination. Walt was a master at that but Disney (Michael Eisner) got away from that in the 90's.
I don't mind a few thrills here & there...as long as here & there weren't once older rides. Call me an idealist, but with 43 square miles, you'd think they could a little extra space for new rides without that being at the expense of older rides.

8) Stop doing weird stuff like building Pop Century hotel. No way Walt would have approved that mess. Stick with the cool Disney themes.
Yep, tacky & ugly are the onlt adjectives that come to mind with that eyesore (wait I guess that's a 3rd adj. ;))

9) Focus on Disney type movies. Princes gets the prince in the end type movie. Every time you leave a Disney movie, you should be humming some of the songs.
While I agree that the fairytales are a sure bet, I also like that the animation department is willing to flex their creative muscles & try new things. If not we wouldn't have had more creative departures like Alice In Wonderland, Make Mine Music, or Fantasia(s). As an artist I know that drawing the same style or theme gets really old & you want to explore other styles.

10) Focus on improving each theme park year after year. Put in more cool rides. Please no more Dumbo clone rides!!!
Geez, you mean 3 up & down rides are too many? ;)
I'd agree with the caveat that adding new rides doesn't mean getting rid of old ones. I believe in expansion, not revision.

11) Disney needs to stop spreading themselves out too thin. Disney branches out into too many directions and the real magic gets watered down. Focus on creating the magic - never, ever get away from the magic!!!
I agree & I think ousting the current regime will be a step in the right direction to get things back on track.

I will say this...Fantasmic, Spectromagic parade and the fireworks are AWESOME!! That is what I love about Disney. Don't ever change that!!
I agree, though I do like that they are thinking about swapping parades around. IMO MSEP blows away Spectro. I wish they could do this with the set shows like Fantasmic! as I believe the DL version blows the MGM version away as well. I do think the WDW fireworks are much better though.

I love Disney with all my heart. I think I should have been an imagineer. I want Disney to be the best and I only point these things out because I love Disney so much.
I think we all do, at least I know I would have loved to be an Imagineer. I have to admit though when I heard that Pressler was taking WDI over my desire to be in that position dropped like Disney's stock. :eek:

It's sad that even if Eisner does read this, he'll likely not react to it. He's got his own plan, his own agenda, and it probably doesn't mesh with what Munarriz says in his column. Everything he says is true and if they were all implemented, they would all probably help the company to varying degrees. But what are the odds that a season CEO is going to take advice from a lowly columnist?

Wouldn't it be nice to see a theme park adding value rather than taking it away? Would it make the visit more magical and memorable and make you want to come back year after year? Instead, Disney tries to make us come back with nostalgia trips. Except if your last visit to a Disney theme park was 30 years ago, then what you remembered then and what you see now will be like day and night.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a studio head who was more worried about making a good movie than a profitable one (profits come from good movies, not the other way around).

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a theme parks head who wasn't always looking for ways to cut costs? "You can still use that Bic pen! There's still ink in it. You don't need a new one." Are those the words we want to hear at Imagineering?

But people have been saying all this for a long time. It's nothing new. It's when the stock holders... the institutional stock holders... say this that Eisner will finally do something. But so long as the stock is rock bottom, all anyone is going to say is "more profits!" It's a vicious circle. Someone with a fistful of Disney stock needs to wake up and realize that more profits - like with movies - come with better value. Disney will not be a good long term investment until they get back on their feet and start restoring the value they sucked from it over the last few years.

Raul/Mop

Best line of the article:
"It all started with a mouse and ended with a rat," isn't something you want to see on a company tombstone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter