Tell me the "weather" where you live.

@Teamubr, Did Ian or you guys know anybody who works there

Not anymore at that Amazon warehouse. There are so many warehouses down there. Amazon doesn't have as good a reputation as many of the others. People seem to move around a lot. My next door neighbor works at Hershey, northwest of the building hit. Ian has a couple of friends that work at other Amazon warehouses in the commerce park. I think Amazon has at least 5 of the buildings in the pic above.

j

Last edited:
Down here in Alabama, @Teamubr, we had a tornado come through in April 2011 that spread destruction across a mile wide path for over 100 miles (it was on the ground that long). I hear the tornadoes near you were also very long.

Our tornado touched down just short of our town and ripped a scar upon the land almost to the Georgia state line.

Down in the south we don't have earthquakes. And we don't (often) have ice/snow storms. But we do get hurricanes down near the coast. And we we get our share of early spring/late fall tornadoes.

Hate that one hit your nearby community. We are still recovering/rebuilding more than ten years after our event.

Bama Ed

Jim, we are just devastated by this news. Living in the Midwest, we are always ready for this, but not this. So many lives lost, homes, businesses, towns, schools. Bless all of you.

Thank you Barb. I grew up across the river and we seemed to have severe storm damage all around where we lived almost every Spring or Fall or both. We never had any damage to our house, but neighbors and homes on the street behind us did. And too many to count within a mile radius. I only recall one death through any of the "close" storms. That was a girl walking home from school that was picked up on one side of the street and thrown into a house on the other side. These storms, when I was young, probably turned me into the amateur meteorologist that I think I am.

Six deaths with this storm (and counting) is kind of a shock. People just working and then...

Ed,

The storms that rolled through here were not the same "long track" tornado that hit Arkansas/Tennessee/Kentucky with so much death and destruction. That one looks horrific and will probably go down as a record for the longest single track. The storms by me were part of a line that moved up from southwest Missouri (as do most of our storms). Something about Interstate 44 (the old Route 66). We had been watching likely tornadoes on radar bouncing in and out as the system moved in from mid-Missouri. There were confirmed reports and significant damage 2 counties over. EF3-4 damage. Several homes wiped off their foundations. One death in an older couple whose house is completely gone in St Charles County, MO. They were found in a field 300 ft away. The wife died at the hospital.

The timing and path for the tornado that hit near me could be the same as the one to the west, but likely was just another spinup from the same storm, but probably not the same actual tornado, like in AR/TN/KY. The storm to the west was on radar after it hit in St. Charles County, but no damage for 50 miles. It faded off the radar for 10-15 miles and then was obvious again just after it crossed the Mississippi River into Illinois. The warehouses are about 8 miles from the river. The ground path near here is less than 2 miles long. Then nothing.

I remember the big Alabama storm in 2011. No doubt there are areas that will never fully recover. Kind of like places in New Orleans from Katrina. If you know where to look, it is still there. Three months after we moved to Edwardsville, 40 years ago, there was a tornado that hit main street in downtown. It took the front facades off about a dozen buildings. All the buildings were repaired. Some with replacement bricks to match the 100 year old structures. Quite a few with metal fronts or stucco or something else that wasn't turn of the century typical. Today, it just looks like different aesthetics remodeling over the years, but it all goes back to that 1981 tornado.

Here's an example. This is only a couple of blocks from me now. The courthouse is to the left of this pic.

Left to right- Schwartz's Drug (law firm now)- All new front; white front with 2 small windows is a metal façade; green upper (Imber's and MoJo's Music) lost a little of the molding at the top, but mostly no damage; flat front, three story Bigelo's Bistro- complete new concrete façade. The entire front of the building was torn off.

The 1800's courthouse across the street had almost no damage. It's also made out of huge granite blocks.

Here's the court house right across the street.

j

Last edited:
Woof. A storm system blew through. It was a big north-south system that was moving around 80 mph to the NE when it passed through my area. The wind was gross all day, blowing around 30-40 mph all day. When the storm blew through, it was gusting up to 70+ mph. It rained about an inch and the storm passed in about 10 min. I haven't seen lightning (such sustained intensity) like that in a LONG time.

The storm is long gone now, but we're back to the 30+ mph steady wind. It's supposed to calm down around midnight. Doesn't look like any trees down on the property yet, but need to do a survey in the morning.

Hold on Teamubr and tigger92662, it's coming your way!

SW,Wisconsin here. It was a very muggy 68 degrees today. Under severe weather watch, Tornado watch and High Wind. We are to expect major power outages. Thankful we bought a generator which will run the Milking Parlor and free stall barns. We live just a stones throw away, and are not on their grid. So….. thankful we are safe right now. Hopefuls for the best. No sleep night. Our good news - leaving next Thursday to begin our journey to DW.

Jack and Barb,

We are expecting the same through here tonight. It has been around 70 and really windy most of the day (gusts into the 50s). It looks like Wisconsin will get the nasty end of this one. Just a fast squall line through here hopefully. Severe thunderstorm watch just west of here that I expect to extend towards us. Not expecting anything like we had Friday night.

j

Looks like you're getting some snow this weekend, Joe. We are right on the southern edge. Saying 0.3 inches down here, so barely a dusting.

j

We are sitting right at 33 degrees with the moisture still falling. It is going down to around 20 tonight, but the rain/ice/snow should cut off before we get too much.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter