Teens (with little kids hearts) in the park

Ds4angels

DIS Veteran
My son is 14, he looks older then he is. He's taller then me and dh, but he's still a kid at heart. He and DD now 11, loved trading pins with cast members last trip 2 years ago. I'm worried that cast members might not be as apt to trade with him now that he looks older. Neither of them trade for value, just what they like.
Also thinking of booking CP for late breakfast, b/c he expressed interest in those characters while looking over my shoulder while I was planning, but I don't want there to be any "why is this big kid so excited about Tigger" or him to be bummed out if they rush through the interaction since we've got "big kids" at our table (and I know, he's a teenager, he should be able to handle that, but then what's the sense of spending that much for breakfast?)
So parent w/ big kids who are still kids at heart any word of wisdom or advise?

My son is 14, he looks older then he is. He's taller then me and dh, but he's still a kid at heart. He and DD now 11, loved trading pins with cast members last trip 2 years ago. I'm worried that cast members might not be as apt to trade with him now that he looks older. Neither of them trade for value, just what they like.
Also thinking of booking CP for late breakfast, b/c he expressed interest in those characters while looking over my shoulder while I was planning, but I don't want there to be any "why is this big kid so excited about Tigger" or him to be bummed out if they rush through the interaction since we've got "big kids" at our table (and I know, he's a teenager, he should be able to handle that, but then what's the sense of spending that much for breakfast?)
The characters will have full interactions with anyone who expresses an interest, don't worry. Walt Disney himself said that even adults are only children who have grown up.

I agree completely. We did breakfast at Crystal Palace last year with two 15 year olds and I have a great picture of them holding hands and bouncing with Tigger! Also, DH is probably more excited about pin trading than our kids and he’s never had any issues.

Honestly, I feel like the character interactions are different now that my daughter is a teen. Not sure if that's because she's changed or because the characters expect teens to not be as interested, but yeah, it's changed a little. We still have fun though.

But don't worry about anybody passing judgment. That's never been an issue.

Hey everyone! My boyfriend and I are going February 2nd-7th; we were there in October 2017, but stayed offsite with friends. This will be our first vacation as a couple and he has never stayed on site before.

Go Team February!

But don't worry about anybody passing judgment. That's never been an issue.

Honestly my biggest fear, he's had enough of being bullied, it would break my heart to see that in our happy place

I think he will be fine and no one will think anything of it. My son is 18 and still gets a huge grin on his face when he meets certain characters. He also went on and on about how beautiful HEA was when he watched.

Have a great trip!

Haha, I'm 21 and I had a great time meeting characters. XD I was such a dork meeting Tigger but I don't care it was so much fun. My sister (who's 14) was the same way, she even got autographs from everyone. And you don't have to worry about other people's judgement, I'm sure a lot of them are the same way.
So, yeah, it'll be fine, no one really cares about what people's ages are. Just have fun. :)

You have nothing to worry about.
Disney is far from being for kids only. There are just as many families there without kids as there are with kids. May even be more
I'm an adult, rarely travel with a child and trade pins with CM.
I'm an adult, rarely travel with a child and meet characters, at times. And I may be 55 but I am as excited as any 5 yo when I meet the characters.
I don't give a second thought to any of what you are worried about.
Characters enjoy adults as much as kids, in my personal experience
And a CM will never refuse a trade
I'm still puzzled at the "characters rush through meals" comments I see over and over and over again. We've done every meal on property at least twice and not once has a character walked away in the middle of our interactions. They stay and interact as long as you are interacting back with them. When you are finished, they move on.

We've seen so many adults trading pins, that I really don't think any CM would blink at your son being a pin trader.

My son was 13 and 6 feet tall, the last time he was at Disney, and the castmembers were absolutely terrific with him, in all circumstances. My son, at that time, was the epitome of a sarcastic, suspicious, teenager. He looked and acted much older than he was (even had some chin fuzz going). But, inside of 24 hours at Disney, he'd found his inner child again. He got high fived at parades, and the characters were just as interactive at meals with us as they were with everyone else. One of my fondest memories is of him playing "pat-a-cake" with Tigger at the Crystal Palace.

I really don't think you need worry. Your boy will have a marvelous time! No one will make him feel like he's "too old" to do anything.

Hello from Norway :)
First.. I am so sorry to hear that your son has been bullied..
Second.. I am 46 years old and I LOVE DISNEY and when I am at WDW I get to be the KID I never got to be because of severe childhood trauma.
DH just turned 50 and we are celebrating part of his birthday at WDW in November.
It will only be DH and I on this trip and we have several Character Meals booked. (Tusker House, Garden Grill, Minnies Seasonal Dinner and The Bon Voyage Breakfast +++)
We are going to take pictures with the Characters and we are going to wear MATCHING T SHIRTS and trade PINS.

When I was traveling with DD (22) last year we did the same thing and we DID NOT get any "Looks"
AND we are going to do this NEXT YEAR with DD and my Choir when we travel to WDW.
I will tell the kids in my choir that they will not have to worry about being A KID at DISNEY (Even some of them are Youths)

I really hope you will have a MAGICAL TIME, best from Adéle Marie

I'm echoing everyone above! My fiance and I (both 23) still pin trade and meet characters! I've never noticed a difference in how they interact with me vs. how they interact with the smaller kids. They're still very eager to pin trade with us, and the characters are still goofy, lovable, and will play around with us! I wouldn't worry :)

Honestly my biggest fear, he's had enough of being bullied, it would break my heart to see that in our happy place

This will absolutely NOT happen at Disney. Certainly not at the hands of cast members, and other guests are almost always way too involved in their own vacations to care about anyone else.

I'm in my 40's. I visited Disney for the first time in my 30's.

I was bullied quite severely as a child, and some time in my late teens I got angry and decided I wasn't going to let anyone else's opinion influence what I wanted to do, ever again. But, there's still always a tiny part of me that panics a bit, whenever I do something like line up to meet a character, as an adult, with most everyone else in the line barely coming up to my knees. It's scary, and I have to tell myself "I don't care what anyone thinks!" many, many times (and really I do care).

But! Every time I've had the courage to do something like that... other adults in line will say encouraging things like, "Good for you!" and "Characters are for everyone!". And the castmembers will be incredibly sweet and sensitive and accommodating. Often, I'm not even the only adult in line without a kid in tow. And I've seen full grown men lining up for characters, too, and being treated with just as much kindness as I get.

Things I've done at Disney that scared me, but turned out awesome...

Storytime with Belle (I volunteered my husband to be in the play! Ha!)
Meeting Characters (Duffy Bear hugged me! So did Chewbacca!)
Turtle Talk with Crush (SO cute!)
The Frozen Singalong, multiple times (We sing along! Loudly!)
Wearing silly ears and silly dresses
Tour the parks entirely by myself (my husband was at a conference)

I'm sure you've told your son this, but things do get better as we get older. And Disney is definitely one of the few places in the world where he can feel free to be entirely himself, without fear of judgement.

First time going to WDW solo, I was a little nervous about meeting characters, waiting in lines, eating solo, etc. After a few hours, I forgot all about what I was scared about in the first place. It is funny, I've been to WDW many times but until you go solo, you don't realize how many other solo people there are everywhere. You and especially your son, will not get any hassle nor strange looks. Have a wonderful time!

I'm 29 and I've never felt rushed with characters. In fact, character interactions are my favourite part! I'm bringing a sketchbook next year for the characters to sign. I even got to be the wardrobe in Enchanted Tales with Belle, and it was the highlight of my trip. I pin trade and I will wait in line alone if I must. I don't see your son having any issues, as others have stated. :)

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter