• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Teenage Question

dheller97

<font color=green>you've been visited...
We're trying to convince our teenage son to come with us on the cruise as a graduation gift. He is 17-yrs old and will turn 18 in November, two months before we depart.

Is DCL strict with age limitations and won't allow him to attend the teenage functions since he is older than 17 when we cruise?

Thanks,
Dean

:confused:

Hi Dean,
I am not positive, however, I think DCL is pretty strict about the age thing. My DD was 16 when we were on the Magic. She and her teen cousins did not participate in the teen program. But, let me assure you-- they had the time of their lives!! They enjoyed the freedom they had on the ship. They loved all the other activities on the ship. There are so many things to choose from! They are still talking about all the fun, and dreaming of another cruise. I hope this will help you some, and if he does not want to go I have a whole list of folks here who would take his place!!

hi! this is the DD in the above post. It was seriously awesome!. If you like to meet new ppl, the teen activities are great. its a lot of just chilin in the teen room of the ship. also ppl play pick up bball on top of the ship, and you meet ppl to hang with there. Go ol and see what they have to offer. i think u'll be pleased.

I convinced my oldest son, who will be 14 when we sail, that he will have the time of his life~~ Totally don't want to eat my words, so what do you suggest as strategy. He is kind of shy around new people so don't know if he will go to the teen club. He is also an awesome basketball player, but I just don't know if he will assert himself and ask to join in if others are playing......do you have any thoughts on what I could do to make this an awesome experience for him!! Thanks!
Michelle

Hi Michelle.

do you have any thoughts on what I could do to make this an awesome experience for him!!

Reverse the order. Have DS go directly to the basketball courts and "practice." Other teens will arrive and ask if they can join him...

My DS17 was very wary about "having fun" onboard. He thought that it would be a bunch of "young kids", but he had the time of his life! We never saw him. He was always "hanging out" with all of the new friends he made.
I think Disney will let your son make the choice if he wants to sign up for common grounds (the teen club). But I think he will have to choose one or the other for the entire cruise. He will not be able to keep switching back and forth from teen club to "adult" status.

Jennifer

The best thing we did was bring our DS's best friend. Is that an option?

As of what i know when i went on they would not let any 18 year olds into CG. If something happens and the 18 was involved then disney might have a lawsuit on their hands. But i heard that when it is slower that they may let people over the age of 17 go into CG. it really all depends on who the manager is that week!

Michelle,

My DD (14) also had this same concern for our cruise last March. Through the Disboards I was able to put her in touch with another girl her age who was on our cruise. They IMed each other several weeks before the cruise and then met once on board. You could not separate these two during the cruise and now they have become best friends and the good thing is they only live 2 hours apart.

We are going on the same cruise this coming March as her friend and we are trying to acquaint all the teenagers with each other before we go. You might want to try this with your DS especially if your cruise date has a posting.
LeiLani

My 14 year old son is also rather shy and reserved. He didn't do much in the Common Grounds, but he still had a wonderful time on the ship. He played basketball and ping-pong, went to the movies, went swimming, etc. He had a lot of fun. I know your son is 18 rather than 14, but just let him know there are a lot of things to do besides the organized teen activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter