Talk me into BLT

DoryDorito

Mouseketeer
We are still relatively new to DVC (2012). I have always wants to stay at the Contemporary but have always felt like it was out of our league. I start looking into BLT and I'm impressed with how much there is to do in that area. The food options are impressive. California Grill is one of our favorites.

If you were going to sell me on BLT, what should I know? The only thing in the back of my mind is the balcony with kids. Mine with be 9 and 7 for our January trip. They are good kids but I have a fear fantasy of them climbing on a chair to look over the rail.

We have BLT and haven't regretted it one bit. Magic kingdom is our favorite and having the freedom to just walk over there and not take a bus is wonderful! I love the decor and especially the shower! Lol being within walking distance to some great on site restaurants is great too. Go for it you will love it! We just bought into akv and wondering how I will like not feeling like I'm in the 'heart of it all'.

We are still relatively new to DVC (2012). I have always wants to stay at the Contemporary but have always felt like it was out of our league. I start looking into BLT and I'm impressed with how much there is to do in that area. The food options are impressive. California Grill is one of our favorites.

If you were going to sell me on BLT, what should I know? The only thing in the back of my mind is the balcony with kids. Mine with be 9 and 7 for our January trip. They are good kids but I have a fear fantasy of them climbing on a chair to look over the rail.

Also, the balcony is off the bedroom in the 1 and 2 bedrooms. On our trips, I don't know that the kids have even been on the balcony since their space is in the living room which has great windows to look out on the Lake or MK.

I am pretty sure the BLT balcony doors have safety locks. Hopefully, someone else can chime in on the subject.

We love BLT because of the walking access to MK and the convenient access to many restaurants (CR, monorail to Poly, monorail to GF, boat to WL, or boat to FW).

We don't really care for the design, feels like you are in a medical facility. Theme Park view is over rated IMO, ok view of the top of space mountain, castle in far distance and BLT parking lot.

TOTWL may not stay open, it's up to Disney, dues have seen a 6% increase the last 2 years, average for other properties is about 3%. Some don't care for the pool and use the one at the Contemporary.

Reports are that the building was constructed with furniture and design elements that were of a lessor quality to save money. The rooms showed excessive wear early on. Some people are upset that there isn't any shear curtains and outsiders can see in. Summer months the rooms tend to be warm due to the amount of glass and the sun hitting the windows.

The biggest positive is that it's a short walk to the Magic Kingdom, great if you spend most of your park time there.

PS We own 300 points at BLT.

As far as just staying there, give it a try and check it out for yourself, my above comments are more for someone who is thinking of buying there.

:earsboy: Bill

With GFV's here and poly in the works, BLT will soon be the slums of the monorail resorts. If it were not for location it may be the worst DVC property. The place got run down extremely fast, and as someone else said MF's are rising fast with a renovation already needed. We stayed there early on and the place had already taken a beating. Couches with horrible stains, one of the sliding doors would not open, any many nicks and dings throughout. Oh and our room had a bad smell to it.

Maybe we ran into the perfect storm when we stayed, but I am afraid to try again.

There is a lot to love about BLT. Especially access to MK and monorail.

As a child I remember seeing the contemporary and thinking I would never be "rich enough" to stay there. When I got to stay at BLT it was really a dream come true!

I was in a studio and it was well appointed, but quite small. Had there been more than 2 of us it would have felt cramped.

We like being able to book the standard views. While it's not impossible to get standard views at 7 months it is hard to book an entire week. Even the standard studios are "expensive" compared to OKW and SSR but we really enjoy staying within walking distance of MK. And the location can't be beat......unless we want to be close to Epcot, we own at BCV too. We feel like we have the best of both worlds. :thumbsup2

We don't really care for the design, feels like you are in a medical facility. Theme Park view is over rated IMO, ok view of the top of space mountain, castle in far distance and BLT parking lot.

TOTWL may not stay open, it's up to Disney, dues have seen a 6% increase the last 2 years, average for other properties is about 3%. Some don't care for the pool and use the one at the Contemporary.

Reports are that the building was constructed with furniture and design elements that were of a lessor quality to save money. The rooms showed excessive wear early on. Some people are upset that there isn't any shear curtains and outsiders can see in. Summer months the rooms tend to be warm due to the amount of glass and the sun hitting the windows.

The biggest positive is that it's a short walk to the Magic Kingdom, great if you spend most of your park time there.

As far as just staying there, give it a try and check it out for yourself, my above comments are more for someone who is thinking of buying there.

Why did you buy the resort?

We bought AKV as we love it and still very much do but we have always swapped out some nights at BLT at 7 months and BLT has become quite a favourite for us. We really love the pool especially the kids, the location, the fact it is on he monorail and on bay lake, the views you wake up to and the Contemporary. All in all I now wish instead of buying 220 AKV points we have bought 110 of it and BLT. However we have VGF points which I think I will love for many of the same reasons.

I was in the same boat as you, needed some convincing. We got back 2 weeks ago from a 1.5 week stay. My only regret, we didnt have longer to stay;) I am not much on the modern feel of the hotel, but I fell in love with the place. The decor, still not my taste, but the stay, the room, the amenities, made me a new fan. Cannot wait to do it again! My advice, go, go, go!!!

What should you know?

I think you need to try it to be able to decide for yourself. You will get a lot of differing views but since you are interested, you need to make that decision for yourself and the only way to do it is to go for it. You don't have to return if you don't like it, but how will you know if you don't experience it?

Some love it, some don't.

Our grandkids all have enjoyed the Community Room at BLT, the CM's there have been wonderful! We enjoy going to TTOTW for firework viewing without crowds!

We've had maybe 5 BLT stays with others and everyone found something they liked about BLT!

To offer you another view on the points above.

1-To look out over the Seven Seas Lagoon and watch the monorail and Ferryboats pass by while looking at the GF in the distance is quite nice. Looking at MK in the evening with the lights twinkle and seeing the fireworks from your room while you listen to the music on your TV can be a bit magical.

2- The TOWL may or may not stay open in the FUTURE, while it can be nice to see the Fireworks from there it has no impact on my decision to stay there or not, it is worth going up there at least once just to experience.

3- The "contemporary" look and feel of the resort isn't everyone cup of tea (personally I like more in your face Disney theming. The furniture has shown its wear quicker than some resorts but it has never impacted our vacation nor has it stopped us from staying there (its not falling apart).

4-I don't know how warm the windows get in the summer but thankfully there is AC that can be turned up. While some may de disappointed there are no shears, others don't mind. You could always stay Lake side and not have the morning Sun heat up the room.

5-Location, location, location. You are a walkway away from the hustle and bustle of the Contemporary but have a fairly quiet room walking distance from MK. You can monorail to the Poly and GF and EPCOT!! We have done EPCOT in the AM taken a boat from there to Hollywood Studios and been back to the room by bus for the fireworks... pretty darn neat, but hey that's my opinion. Almost forgot a boat ride to Wilderness Lodge or Ft Wilderness is a short walk away!

6- As far as the pool you get the BLT pool, with slide and bar but if you want a bit more restful we like the Contemporary which is larger.

You can find faults in any resort but heck I'm on vacation I'd rather focus on the positives.

I love the location and the higher floor lake views.

I like the studio layout. Bathroom area is a little cramped but the kitchen is more then just a kitchenette, space wise.

I want to try a one bedroom but haven't yet. If there are more then two, we will need a larger room.

The room feels small but it's big enough for two. 4 people and using the sofa sleeper is very cramped. We spent one night like this and it was lucky it was just one night as I would have had to get another room....just too tiny.

Since I prefer the lake views, it's unlikely I will need to buy points.

Food options are very good.

Parking is convenient and service is good.

Elevators are convenient.

I went to Top of the World and had drinks and food and checked out the fireworks on my first stay. It was nice but I've stayed several times now and don't even think of it or remember to go until I hear the fireworks noise.

I've stayed at all the WDW vacation club resorts and own at a few. BWV, BLT, and AKV are my top picks. WLV is bottom of my list. Maybe its because I always seem to get the dumpster view. And the long, long walk to the last possible room at the end of the hall.

The BLT location is what sealed the deal for for us! We love that we can walk to the MK and with three little ones, that is our main park. Epcot comes next and that's an easy monorail ride away. You can't beat the nice walk to the resort at the end of the day when the line for the monorail or buses is deep with guests. As for the rest of it, I'd say the theming of the Poly or the GFV interests me more (although the reg GF rooms never did much for me), but I can't say I have any complaints about the rooms. We love having a second bathroom when we do the one bedroom, and the lake view is definitely beautiful. This fall we're trying AKV for the first time (split stay with BLT) so that will be interesting, but I've tried plenty of the other villa resorts and have to say we've been more than happy with BLT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter