Taking Stitch to Hawaii and NOT Leaving Him There

Day 2

We were up bright and early this morning. I had been on a run of early shifts so getting up at 5:30 seemed pretty normal. We got up and got showered and dressed. I reorganised my hand luggage a bit as I wanted my cameras in my handbag. Once Graham was ready as well and we had packed the few things that we had needed, we took our luggage and headed down to the club lounge where they serve a continental breakfast in the morning.

We actually got to the club lounge before they were ready. Graham had some coffee and we both had some juice. Once they had finished setting up, Graham had some fruit and a croissant and I had a Pain Au Chocolat. Once we had finished our breakfast, we checked out. There was no line and the shuttle was already waiting in front of the hotel.

Because everything had gone so smoothly, we got to the check in before they were even open. It was interesting to watch how they were reorganizing the check in area. When the check in opened, we were first in line. My German passport caused the usual interest, but even though we ended up playing 20 questions again, the person checking it was pretty nice about it so it was not a problem. The rest of check in went smoothly. My suitcase was a little overweight, but they just waved it through. Security also went pretty smoothly even though my hand luggage was selected for manual screening. I think the door magnets that I had in there may have had something to do with this.

Once we had cleared all the formalities, we headed through to the departure lounge. When I had been there at the beginning of March for a day trip to the Airbus factory, I had seen a lovely shade of lip gloss that I was planning on getting this time round. Unfortunately this was a limited edition and they no longer had it. Still, I got two other lip glosses that I really like. With the shopping out of the way, we found ourselves a seat near the windows and watched the world go by. Soon it was time to head to the gate. Our plane was at a remote stand so we had to go on buses, but the whole process was pretty painless.

IMGA0474.jpg

IMGA0475.jpg

IMGA0477.jpg

The flight to Atlanta went pretty smoothly. We had some brief periods of turbulence and at one point the captain even asked the cabin crew to sit down, but the periods of turbulence were extremely short. We spent a good part of the flight napping. Lunch was pleasant. We both had Chicken Breast with a Spinach Risotto and Red Peppers in a nice sauce. The wine that came with this was also pretty pleasant even though it came out of a cardboard box. After lunch, Graham watched two films: The Big Year and Mr Popper's Penguins. I started to read the latest installment of Kingdom Keepers, which is actually set on the Disney Dream. This was a nice introduction for the holiday.

When we were about 90 minutes from Atlanta, they served a snack, which consisted of Calzone and a tub of ice cream. I did not fancy the Calzone, but I had Graham's ice cream. By the time everybody had finished their snacks and they had collected all the rubbish, we started to descent into Atlanta.

We arrived into Atlanta in time and had three hours to play with. However, he encountered the longest lines that I have ever seen in Atlanta. It took us over an hour to clear immigration. Our luggage was already waiting for us and we breezed through customs and the baggage drop. Security was another matter. The line for this looked like we had arrived at Disneyland on a busy day. They line was well organised and they kept it moving, but it took some time until we had arrived at the front of the line. Once we had cleared security, I checked the screens for the gate for our connecting flight. Fortunately it was in the same terminal. We went to find the gate and then I found a Starbucks for my first Green Tea Frappuccino. I got Graham a Pomegranate Lemonade. By the time we had our drinks, we were called for boarding.

The next flight was operated on a Boeing 777-200, which was a lot more spacious then the planes that we had preciously encountered on domestic flights. By the time we had taken off again, I was definitely ready for my bed and I was sleeping for most of the flight with only occasionally waking up to check our position on the moving map. Again, we had some turbulence, but I slept through it.

We arrived in Los Angeles on time. We quickly used the bathroom and within seconds of us arriving in the baggage hall, I had both of our suitcases. The next part of the adventure was finding a phone to arrange pick up with the transfer company. I had been provided with a toll free number to ring once we had claimed our baggage. This worked a charm. When I called them, they advised that the driver would be with us within 5 to 10 minutes and gave me a description of the car. They were as good as their word. The company providing the transfers is a sister company of Supershuttle. It was nice that we did not have to wait for other people and that we were taken straight where we wanted to go without stopping anywhere else first. The driver pointed out various landmarks and soon we were in Seal Beach.

Our friends live in a gated community and we had been given instructions of how to get access. When we pulled up to the house, one of our friends was already waiting for us. We said " hi" and settled down in the living room with some "local" beer from Oregon. By this time we were quite hungry and our friend offered to put a pizza in the oven, which was very welcome. Once our other friend arrived home, we got the a grand guided tour of the house. I use the term house lightly. This is a mansion with 6 bed rooms and 6 bathrooms and too many reception rooms to count. Our room was off the kitchen and had its own bathroom.

By the time we finished the grand tour, our dinner was ready and we had pizza and garlic bread. We were equipped with a spare key, log in details for their wireless Internet and mobile phone numbers and then we said good night and headed to bed.

I'm glad you had that three hour layover so you could get through everything without the stress of missing your next flight.

That was a full day of traveling, whew!

I'm glad you had that three hour layover so you could get through everything without the stress of missing your next flight.

I agree, lots of traveling you did in one day...

Virgin Atlantic, is one of my favs for flying, their lounges in the airports are amazing!

Anotherr nice installment! Thank you, Corinna!

With the next installment the vacation proper begins.

We did not know what has hit us. When we transited Atlanta on previous trips, it had always taken us an hour from gate to gate. When I booked this, I was pondering booking a connection with a two hour layover. I am glad that I decided on the extra hour.

I agree, lots of traveling you did in one day...

Virgin Atlantic, is one of my favs for flying, their lounges in the airports are amazing!

We used to love Virgin Atlantic, but they seem to have lost their way a little. Now we are flying Delta whenever we can. Virgin Atlantic fly from Manchester to Orlando, Barbados and twice a week to Las Vegas. If we want to fly with them, we have to take another airline to London Heathrow and then fly to Los Angeles from there. Let's just say, give me Atlanta any day of the week.

Corinna

We used to love Virgin Atlantic, but they seem to have lost their way a little. Now we are flying Delta whenever we can. Virgin Atlantic fly from Manchester to Orlando, Barbados and twice a week to Las Vegas. If we want to fly with them, we have to take another airline to London Heathrow and then fly to Los Angeles from there. Let's just say, give me Atlanta any day of the week.

Corinna

There are many who I'm sure would disagree with you (regarding Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport!) :laughing:

It's refreshing to hear it's a preference for you! ;) I agree though -- you can't cut it close with connecting flights out of Atlanta. :headache: Was the "new" International Terminal open when you came through ATL? That will probably add a few extra minutes to get between connecting flights -- hopefully not too bad, but I haven't been since it opened. :confused3

There are many who I'm sure would disagree with you (regarding Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport!) :laughing:

It's refreshing to hear it's a preference for you! ;) I agree though -- you can't cut it close with connecting flights out of Atlanta. :headache: Was the "new" International Terminal open when you came through ATL? That will probably add a few extra minutes to get between connecting flights -- hopefully not too bad, but I haven't been since it opened. :confused3

It was not open when we arrived in the USA, but it opened two days before we flew home. For us it worked great as the flight from Los Angeles to Atlanta had come from Sydney so we flew into and out of concourse E.

Corinna

It's so nice to hear about your trip! Did you have Upper Class on the Virgin Atlantic plane? When I took my son's cat to him in Palo Alto, CA, I took Virgin America.....it was nice but I was crowded next to a big guy who had been a football player between his broad shoulders and big legs and my broad shoulders and I had the cat carrier between my feet, we got to know each other quite well, since we shared skin all the way!:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

on my return flight, I upgraded myself to first class! It was a real treat!

Using Delta to fly to Atlanta - then MCO this year. Hope we get through immigration swiftly, as we may find our transfer time a bit tight!!!

Looking forward to reading more. :)

It's so nice to hear about your trip! Did you have Upper Class on the Virgin Atlantic plane? When I took my son's cat to him in Palo Alto, CA, I took Virgin America.....it was nice but I was crowded next to a big guy who had been a football player between his broad shoulders and big legs and my broad shoulders and I had the cat carrier between my feet, we got to know each other quite well, since we shared skin all the way!:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

on my return flight, I upgraded myself to first class! It was a real treat!

No, we have never tried Upper Class. We have flown Premium Economy a couple of times when we were upgraded for free, but in my opinion this was nothing special and I would not pay for this. I have flown business class a few times on the airline I work for and that is quite something.

Using Delta to fly to Atlanta - then MCO this year. Hope we get through immigration swiftly, as we may find our transfer time a bit tight!!!

Looking forward to reading more. :)

I think the lines for immigration will probably be a bit longer from now on as the international flights used to arrive all over the airport. Now, with the new international terminal being open, all international flights arrive into and fly out of concourses E and F, creating a bit of a bottleneck. I am sure they will adapt to this quickly, but I would not book flights with transit times of less then 3 hours. How much time do you have?

Corinna

Day 3

I had set the alarm for 7:00 AM in the morning as we had planned to get a lift to Long Beach with one of our friends and she needed to leave at 8:00 AM. I was optimistic that I would actually sleep through until 7:00 AM, but the dawn chorus put paid to this. There was a very persistent black bird right in front of our window who woke me up. Graham slept through this. I had my jewellery subscriptions for a number of months shipped to our friends so I spent a happy quarter of an hour checking what I had got. I caught up with a few things online and then I decided to head back to bed, where I then slept until the alarm went off.

Once the alarm had gone off, we both got ready and headed out in the garden. It was a beautiful morning. The garden is not particularly big, but it is beautiful with a number of rose bushes. Soon there was movement in the house and we headed our for our adventure.

P1010477.jpg

P1010478.jpg

P1010479.jpg

P1010480.jpg

P1010481.jpg

P1010482.jpg

We had planned to head to Long Beach, have a quick look around the Queen Mary and then do a boat tour. I had never really looked at Long Beach, although we had caught a boat to Catalina from there on a previous holiday. The first order of the day was some breakfast. We asked our friend to drop us off in the downtown area. Unfortunately there was not a great deal that was open in the morning and what was open, did not look all that tempting. So we decided to head towards the Queen Mary. On the way, we spotted all kinds of interesting wildlife. We also came across a hotel. Unfortunately they did not have a restaurant, but the person at reception gave us directions to another nearby hotel, that did have a restaurant and better still, was on the way to the Queen Mary.

The hotel looked lovely and the restaurant was nice and airy. They also were only too happy to serve us breakfast. We both had coffee and orange juice and a huge plate of foot that consisted of a marinated flank steak with peppers and onions, eggs, hash browns, water melon and toast. This set us up nicely for the day.

P1010483.jpg

P1010484.jpg

Once we had finished our breakfast, we walked through a small park and we had arrived at the Queen Mary. I had always wanted to have a look at her, but had no clear idea how big the tourist attraction part of this is. Most of the ship is used as a hotel. We started with the engine room and we spent a good 90 minutes walking around the various levels of the engine room and had a look at the remaining propeller. We then headed back upstairs, where they had a display of the history of the Queen Mary and also a model of the Titanic. In this area, there was also the checking for Carnival and we were asked a few times if were checking in. I thought this was kind of a sweet irony that Carnival was checking in much next to a model of the Titanic. Of course, there is a link there. Cunard, who used to own the Queen Mary, had bought out White Star Lines and was then in turn bought by Carnival. It still was a bit strange seeing the two in such close proximity.

P1010485.jpg

P1010486.jpg

P1010488.jpg

P1010489.jpg

P1010491.jpg

P1010492.jpg

P1010494.jpg

P1010495.jpg

P1010496.jpg

P1010497.jpg

P1010498.jpg

P1010499.jpg

One of the most interesting titbit in the history of the Queen Mary was the link with Disney. I had know that there was a link in the past, but was not sure, what precisely this consisted of. The Disneyland Hotel was originally owned and run by a third party operator, who also had the management contract for the Queen Mary. When Disney acquired the Disneyland Hotel, if was part of the deal, that they also took on the management of the Queen Mary. This arrangement stayed in place for a number of years. Eventually Disney pulled out and there were number of successors. At one point, it even looked likely that the Queen Mary would be scrapped. Fortunately, this did not happen and the Queen Mary has now been protected as an important historical location.

Once we had finished downstairs, we took the lift up to the next level of the tour. On this level were multiple meeting rooms, the wedding chapel, the inevitable gift shops, restaurants and the tour check in desk. We wandered around for a bit and then headed up to the sun deck. We enjoyed the view for a bit and then visited the next points of interest on the self-guided tour, which included the bridge, the chart room, the radio and wireless rooms and models of the officers' quarters. The radio room is actually used by an amateur radio group and one of their members was around. He talked a bit about their hobby and took a photo of us sitting in front of the equipment.

P1010500.jpg

P1010501.jpg

P1010502.jpg

P1010503.jpg

P1010507.jpg

P1010508.jpg

P1010509.jpg

P1010510.jpg

P1010511.jpg

P1010512.jpg

P1010513.jpg

By the time we had finished this part of the tour, we were ready for some refreshment. We headed to the Art Deco Observation Bar. This is an absolutely gorgeous space with fantastic views. Graham had some orange juice and I had a Shirley Temple. Duly refreshed, we headed out again. Along the hallway, they had models of the children's play rooms and the music room.

P1010514.jpg

P1010515.jpg

As part of our ticket, we had received a separate ticket for the ghosts and legends tour. We decided that we may as well do this. We headed for the tour check in desk to see when the next tour would be. This was only 10minutes later and we decided to go for it. The tour itself was pretty cheesy and pretty much special effects based. However, one of the locations that we visited was the first class swimming pool, which was pretty neat to see.

The tour finished near the fire station, but we decided to have a look at the bow overlook first. Unfortunately the door back to the fire station was locked from the outside so we had to head back to the level of the Great Hall and retrace our steps from there. Eventually we found the right corridor again and had look at the fire station and the a chapel that was also in this area. This left one last area to have a look at, which was the isolation ward. The access to this was from the sun deck. The staircase was pretty steep and I was a little worried about going down there. I had sent Graham ahead and he confirmed that it would be worth my while to be brave. He was right. They had recreated the quarters for the medical staff, one of the wards and the operating theater. They also had displays from the records pertaining deaths at sea and stowaways. They also had some information about burial at sea. Everything was fascinating and I was glad that I had decided to come downstairs.

P1010516.jpg

P1010517.jpg

P1010518.jpg

P1010519.jpg

P1010520.jpg

P1010521.jpg

Once we had finished this, we decided that we had see enough for one day. We had actually spent 5.5 hours on the Queen Mary. We went across the car park to the bus stop. They run a free bus linking the Queen Mary with Down Town Long Beach. We got on this bus, which stops at a number of tourist spots so we got some idea what was available. Once we reached Down Town, we had to get on another bus, which took us back to Seal Beach. This is where our plans went belly up. Our friend had pointed out the last bus stop on the bus route from Long Beach. Unfortunately there are two different bus routes going that way and our bus turned off before we got to this stop. We ended up at a pretty marina and we had to find our way back from there to the house. Fortunately Graham has a fantastic sense of direction and soon I started to recognise buildings that I had spotted on the way to Long Beach in the morning.

P1010522.jpg

We had two things to take care of before heading back to the house: we both needed some cash and I needed some antihistamine. On a previous visit to California, I had discovered a very effective antihistamine. It dissolves on the tongue and works very quickly. I needed something that works instantly, in case I would run into trouble with banana pollen on Hawaii. I was convinced that they were a version of Benadryl, but actually they are a version of Clarityn. What really amused me is that they are actually manufactured in Ireland.

With the chores out of the way, we decided that it was time to get something to drink. We found a Starbucks inside a supermarket and we both had a Green Tea Frappuccino. Then we continued our walk to the house. We were a couple of blocks away when one of our friends passed us in the car and stopped. By then I had done enough walking and was very grateful for the lift.

How fortunate you just 'stumbled upon' breakfast! It could have been a long morning. Hope you'll get to post another installment soon :)

(wow! No sooner than I hit send and the next installment appeared! IT's been my lucky day! ) Love the way the rooms got nicer as you went on. What a lovely experience you had, Corinna!

When we got back to the house, we just relaxed for a bit and chatted. A little while later, we left the men to their own devices and headed for Disneyland. Our friend Sue and I both have annual passes to Disneyland, but our respective husbands don't really get Disney. So this was a welcome opportunity to spend some time with a like-minded spirit.

DLR_Gallery_V2_DL-173.jpg

I was surprised how many people were waiting for the tram from the parking structure to the park. I had not expected that so many people would just come for the evening. We had to wait while two trams left full, but we got on the third one. Once we got to the entrance plaza, it did not take long to get inside the park. We had agreed that we who would get something to eat in the park and I had told Sue about the Little Red Wagon, where they do great corn dogs. Unfortunately the line for this was huge. So we decided to enjoy the park for a bit and worry about food later.

We headed over to Pirates of the Caribbean. This ride had been closed when we were at Disneyland last year. I have always preferred Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland over the version at Walt Disney World, but I did not have the opportunity to ride this since the make over to add elements from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies were added. Well, this is a lot more subtle than at the Magic Kingdom and was done much more tastefully. I actually felt that it added something to the ride rather than take away from it. In the most recent rehab, they changed the scene where the men are chasing the women and the women are chasing the men. Now it is only the women chasing the men. I am not sure why this was changed. One change that I loved was the change to the closing scene. This used to be a number of treasure chambers, which I always liked. However, I like the new version better. They have added the aftermath of the town burning down. You can see the burned down buildings with the embers still glowing and the opposing sides are shooting at each other. This is very low key, but it definitely works.

When we came out of the ride, people were lining up for the first showing of Fantasmic. I have never seen this show at either coast and it turned out neither had my friend. So we decided to put this right. Fantasmic at Disneyland does not have its own venue, but takes place on the Rivers of America. We managed to find a good viewing spot on the second tier in front of Royal Street Veranda. I have to say that I always have been cynical about Fantasmic, but this blew me away. The combination of projections on mist screens, special effects and real characters just worked. Even the Sailing Ship Columbia and the Mark Twain got a starring role. I still prefer World of Color, but I loved Fantasmic and may need to make the effort to see it at Hollywood Studios now.

DLR_Gallery_V2_DL-117.jpg

DLR_Gallery_V2_DL-118.jpg

DLR_Gallery_V2_DL-119.jpg

DLR_Gallery_V2_DL-197.jpg

Once Fantasmic was over, we decided that it was definitely time to get some food. The line for Royal Street Veranda did not look too bad so we both decided on Steak Gumbo in Sour Dough Bread Bowl. Unfortunately they had run out of the Gumbo so we needed to wait until they got some more, but that was OK and the Gumbo was well worth it.

Once we were fed and watered, we headed straight over to the Haunted Mansion. This was essentially a walk on. We walked straight into the foyer, but had a little bit of a wait until we entered the stretching room. The stretching room at Disneyland is actually a well disguised lift whereas the floor of the stretching room at the other parks is stationary. The reason why the floor is moving at Disneyland is that the attraction building itself is actually underneath and outside the track for Disneyland Railroad. The same is true for Pirates of the Caribbean, which is the reason behind the two good size drops. I did enjoy Haunted Mansion, but I think I have a slight preference for the version at Walt Disney World.

When we got off the ride, I started to feel really tired. However, I had to have a quick ride on Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. So we headed over to Tomorrowland. Again, the ride was pretty much a walk on, but it had stopped when we got to the loading dock. The ride soon got moving again and we boarded our space cruiser, but this was a sign of things to come. We had a couple of lengthy stops while on the ride, which I managed to exploit nicely and I ended up with a level 4, when I normally finish with a level 2 or 3.

When we got off the ride, my friend told me that they have a pin trading board at the attached gift shop. We both had brought out trading pins. I did not see anything that I was interested in, but my friend made a couple of trades. I used the opportunity to get a gift card to apply to my stateroom account on the ship.

DLR_Gallery_V2_DL-207.jpg

DLR_Gallery_V2_DL-030.jpg

We decided that we both had enough for the day. I had one last thing to do though. I had heard from people who had arrived in California before us that they had nice Disney-themed Hawaiian shirts at Disneyland. So I wanted to check this out. I got lucky. I ended up getting a blue Hawaiian shirt with Mickey and a yellow Hawaiian shirt with all kinds of different characters. When the cashier realised that I was from the UK, he also gave me an Honorary Citizen of Disneyland button.

DLR_Gallery_V2_DL-029.jpg

DLR_Gallery_V2_DL-212.jpg

With my shopping done, we headed to tram for the parking structure. To my immense surprise, it was 20 to midnight. Again we had to wait while a couple of trams loaded and left, but it did not take long until we were back at the car. At this time of the night, it did not take long until we got back to our friends' house either.

When we pulled into the neighbourhood we literally saw hundreds of bunnies. We both had expected that the men would have gone to sleep by now, but they were still up. We said good night to each other and went to bed. I had no problem falling asleep. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was fast asleep.

Brilliant report Corinna, I loved hearing all about the Queen Mary and that is one tour I would love to do, great photos as well:goodvibes

edit: oops just noticed another instalment, off to read

Fabulous day, you packed in loads that day, no wonder you feel asleep no problem at the end of the day:goodvibes

Wonderful updates! The Queen Mary is so cool, she has been on my list for a long time, I loved seeing all the pictures, thank you :)

Even with the ride problems your DL evening sounds like a blast! I absolutely love the picture of Tomorrowland, so beautiful.

How fortunate you just 'stumbled upon' breakfast! It could have been a long morning. Hope you'll get to post another installment soon :)

(wow! No sooner than I hit send and the next installment appeared! IT's been my lucky day! ) Love the way the rooms got nicer as you went on. What a lovely experience you had, Corinna!

I was surprised that there were so few options for breakfast in down town Long Beach, but this really was a find.

I am working on the next installment and I hope that I can post this on Thursday. I always pre-type a whole day and then I just add the photos and post it. Unfortunately there is a limit on how many images I can put in a single post.

Brilliant report Corinna, I loved hearing all about the Queen Mary and that is one tour I would love to do, great photos as well:goodvibes

edit: oops just noticed another instalment, off to read

I would definitely recommend the tour of the Queen Mary. They also have an audio guide that you can borrow, but we decided that we just stick to reading the information that is all around the place.

Fabulous day, you packed in loads that day, no wonder you feel asleep no problem at the end of the day:goodvibes

It was a truly amazing day.

Corinna

Wonderful updates! The Queen Mary is so cool, she has been on my list for a long time, I loved seeing all the pictures, thank you :)

Even with the ride problems your DL evening sounds like a blast! I absolutely love the picture of Tomorrowland, so beautiful.

We took years saying that one day we would do it as well, but I am so glad that I have now finally seen it. It really is amazing and if you should have the opportunity to visit, you should take it.

I am glad that you can see the Disneyland photos. For some reason they do not show up for me.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter