Taking it Run Day at a Time (comments welcome)

I'm back and in the midst of Dopey Training thanks to our fearless @DopeyBadger! It's been a really productive three weeks getting back in the saddle after a quick break post-Santa Rosa Half Marathon but I'm glad to be back on the routine and heading towards MW in January.

I'll really just focus on this past week as I get back in the swing of posting weekly, but I am digging the alternating 5 day weeks to 4 day weeks so far - plus the mix of easy runs, long runs, and interval-based pace runs. The variety really helps me mentally not feel like I'm just slogging through miles all week long.

Oh! And I decided to give a running water backpack a try for training and MW. I've previously carried water bottles filled with my magic Gatorade Endurance Formula during races - but during the past HM I dropped it and left it behind, and just figured having an easier pack situation might be best. We'll see if any issues pop up, but I've been running with it for two weeks now (using just water rather than the Gatorade) and it's been a fine change. Definitely feels like it's there, but so did my waist band and holding a water bottle! I sweat so much and my first marathon where I didn't keep a handheld bottle and relied on water stops was.... bleak and I got really dehydrated and the cramps really hurt me. So... trying something new during training to see if it sticks!

Otherwise - I discovered the podcast "Normal Gossip" thanks to some friends' recommendations and I've found myself laughing out loud during some runs (maybe not the best for my breathing!) but it again has helped me through the longer runs and will be great during tomorrow's 9.5 miler.

Tuesday - 3.5 miles easy pace (11:12/mile avg) - This one ended up being a hair faster than I should have gone out, but it was an easy run after the previous weekend's interval/speed run.

Wednesday - 1 mile WU + 5 x 3 min @ CV w/ 1:15 min RI @ WU + 4 x 100m @ R w/90secRI+1mileCD - I love these interval-based workouts like I've mentioned before. I do them on the treadmill at the gym and it feels like a Barry's or OrangeTheory class which I love when I'm not training for a race. Feels like a real treat despite those last 400m at R pace making me SWEAT.

Thursday - 3.5 miles easy pace (11:27/mile avg) - Another easy 3.5 miler in the books. I've finally found a route that is easy for weekday 3-5 mile runs near my place, so it's been my go-to. They're slightly hillier than I like but... I figure those light hills will be helpful in the long run. I can already feel them getting easier.

Saturday - 5 miles easy pace (11:32/mile avg) - Like I said above, I really found a 5 mile loop nearby I love which is a gamechanger. I used to run in a snake/zig-zag pattern that made my Strava maps seem truly crazy, but now I feel more confident about the loop and running through some of the hillier parts of the neighborhood.

Overall, not too bad of a week and I'm proud of myself for getting out for these runs despite some busy days at work. My fiancé is running the Long Beach Half Marathon tomorrow so I'll be up early rooting for him, then coming home to run 9.5 miles myself pre-sunset! A running-filled day in our home!

Glad to see you‘re back and doing well with training. I use a hydration pack a lot for long runs as I don’t have a good way to refill water in some of the places I run. I honestly don’t notice it much now that I figured out how to get all the bubbles out and got the fit right. The biggest thing for me is that it’s warm. I am also a hot, sweaty runner and I have found I have to dress like it’s another 10 degrees warmer if I’m wearing my pack. If no pack is short sleeve weather, with a pack is a tank top. If no pack is tank top weather, with a pack it’s a sports bra only.

The past week and a half have flown by! I've been in NYC again for work hence the delay, but being in that city just makes running so fun. Oh, I was also in NYC for Bravocon (are there any other Housewives fans out there on this thread?!) as a little escape.

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 7.39.43 PM.png

Not that I don't love running at home in LA but in NYC there are so many runners and great paths (plus it's a fresh change of scenery for me!) that I loved getting out each day. And nothing is better for me than running through that fall chill given how hot it's been in Los Angeles.

Sun 10/9 - 9.5 miles EB pace - Really got into the groove with this longer run with my hydration pack. Ended up finishing this way ahead of pace as I wasn't watching my clock as intensely as I should have (and I was trying to beat sunset due to a later start than usual). I ended up doing some walk/run intervals during this around 4m15s run and 45s walk which is what I did for MW2022, so I ended up not sticking to the plan 100% and will try better next long run!
Tues 10/11 - 4 miles EA pace - Ran this at 11:40/mile pace. Sometimes I find these first-of-the-week slow runs to feel tougher than when I run the long runs even quicker! Especially if I do walk/run. But maybe it's just the Monday vibes falling over onto a Tuesday run... Whatever it is these shorter, slower runs are ending up to be my least favorite of the training runs despite them being the shortest and in theory the easiest. Is that masochistic of me??
Thurs 10/13 - 1 mile WU + 4 x 4 min @ CV w/ 1:30 min RI @ WU + 4 x 100m @ R w/90secRI+1mileCD - Like I said last time, I really love these interval training runs. I did this in the morning before I headed to the airport as exercising before a long flight helps me settle into it and not feel as antsy and the need to walk around the whole time.
Sat 10/15 - 4 miles EA pace - Ran this at 11:31/pace along the westside highway and it was filled with other runners who I assume were prepping for the NYC Marathon. This was a quick 4 and I ended up enjoying the slightly cooler weather before heading off to Bravocon for the day which involved a lotttt more standing so I was very grateful this was a lighter weekend that didn't involve a massive long run.
Sun 10/16 - 1 mile WU + 20 sets of (1 min HM Tempo + 1 min of EB) + 1 mile CD - I ended up doing this one on the hotel's treadmill which is my preferred method for the more interval-driven runs so I'm not CONSTANTLY looking at my watch and can just click a pace on the screen and GO. This one really winded me after a long weekend at Bravocon filled with standing and probably not the best nutritional choices!
Tue 10/18 - 4 miles EA pace - 10:45/mile - It was a CHILLY day in NYC and I LOVED it! I ran with my Santa Rosa HM running jacket I got from the race and it was perfect. This time I ran south on the path and took the photo below (sorry it was so backlit but I had to capture something!). Again, these short and slow runs weirdly get in my head more than these long runs so I'm looking forward to this weekend as the mileage ramps up again.
Weds 10/19 - 1 mile WU + 5 x 4 min @ CV w/ 1:30 min RI @ WU + 4 x 100m @ R w/90secRI+1mileCD - So by this time we all know how I feel about these runs! I shared the hotel gym with one other person and I think they thought I was crazy with all the pace changes on the hotel's treadmill. The shorter intervals are so easy for me to manage mentally (maybe that's why I love the run/walk method too) so I end up getting out of my own head and zoning in.

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 7.42.00 PM.png

I'm flying back to LA right now so I'll be back to the heat and LA River Runs shortly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter