Taking Elderly Parent to DW, advice?

kyushin

Earning My Ears
Greetings everyone, this is my first post.

I am going to take my elderly mother to WDW for the first time the week of Dec 15- 18. This is her first time at Disney, and she is a bit cynical about going but I can tell she is a bit curious about the whole Disney experience. I've decided to take her to the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, with a partial day at either Epcot or MGM.

My question for you experts is are there any things that would be of particular interest for people 65 and older at Disney? Historical things? I know the Carousel of Progress will delight her but will it even be open after Dec. 15? I noticed it said seasonal.

And what about this Xmas party, any pictures of the snow? Does that really look magical?

And which would be a better bang for the buck, adult wise, MGM or Epcot, I know she'd like the movie themed rides, but also the horticulture stuff at Epcot.

I'm open to any and all advice from you guys, and I'd really appreciate some input.

Thank you,
Steven

This might not be what you're looking for, but I think my DH and I enjoyed MGM, Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom in that order. We're not old, but Magic Kingdom is so geared towards small children that the only thing I truly enjoyed was standing in front of the castle and going down splash mountain. But at MGM you have Fantasmic which is one of the best shows Disney offers. At Epcot you have all the different cultures in one place and great restaurants and at Animal Kingdom you can walk for a long time at a slow pace through the animal areas plus see the safari. Epcot and MGM would probably also be easier for someone who is tired of walking or even if you rent a scooter :moped: it would be easier to get around.

Magic Kingdom is so much older it really, IMHO, wasn't designed for ease of travel using scooters or even walking. I also noticed the gates for getting onto the rides and the ride seats themselves were all made for smaller sized people, not supersized people like we are today.

When you mentioned taking your elderly mom to Disney I thought you were talking about an 80 year old or so woman. Was surprised to find you're talking about a 65 year old youngster!

From what you said, she would enjoy the COP at the MK, which is open, and also the Hall of Presidents. That would be a good partial day for her.

Not just because I work there, but I would recommend Epcot as the first choice to spend the day. Visit all the countries, watch the wonderful Christmas Processional and top it off with Illuminations in the evening. Also MGM would be enjoyable for her - topping that day off with the Osborne Family Light Show and Fantasmic.

Hope you both have a wonderful time and a safe journey to Orlando.

A lot of what rides and attractions to choose really depends on the individual. My Mom is 80 and rides almost everything, including the milder coasters, like Test Track, Big Thunder and Primevil Whirl. She won't do "drops" like ToT, or inversions like RnR. Other than that, thats pretty much it...she also loves Mission Space and is anxiously awaiting Soarin' (she rode it at DCA).

She's had 3 surgeries on the same hip, gets around fine at home, still drives in our small town (and occasionally San Antonio), but uses a wheelchair in the parks because of so much walking.

Hahahah I knew after I typed that someone would get me for it ;) She is only 66, so prime of life right! :) sorry but thanks for your reply.

So the COP is open, check, I keep seeing it say "seasonal" so I don't exactly know what that means. And EPCOT, check. Thank you for your insight!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter