Sweating our way around the world! August with a 1yr old with lots of tips to come!

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone. On to happier stuff.

Plans and ADRs for December (remember we're staying at BWV):

12/18 Arrival day.
Everything depends on when we get there. I'll hopefully have a better idea of timing after we drive down in August...but the plan is to go to AK if we arrive early (and are rested enough) or Epcot if we arrive late (or need some rest)

ADR 4:30 @ Kouzzina (might cancel--wish there were more options right on the Boardwalk--you'd think there would be)

12/19--MK morning
I want to hit it before the crowds really arrive and the last MVMCP is that night, so I'm hoping for a light morning before we duck out for a break when it gets too crowded.
Epcot and hopefully the CP package. I booked Le Cellier for 4:20. DH plans to hang out with Lily, while I watch the CP. He's really not interested and I prefer not to have to deal with any issues that a 17mo old would create!

12/20: Epcot M & E
I really hope to see all the storytellers (as a librarian, it's kind of a big deal to me) I have a 5 pm ADR at the Captains Grille

12/21: AK
I really want to spend more time here since we never stay long on our August trips--the heat is such a nightmare. That evening I have an ADR at 50s PT for 4:30. We're really only going to DHS to see the Osbourne Lights, anything else will be cake.

12/22: MK
I have CP booked for 8:05am, I'll either keep it or cancel once we see how she handles it in August.
5pm Ohana--must do on all our trips
I can't imagine keeping both Adrs...but if the Character Breakfasts go really well, I want to do at least one.

12/23:
So we traditionally do MK before we leave, but this is a very bad MK day and since i barely have a DHS day, we're going to go to DHS unless we somehow get everything done and then we'll go to AK.

I'm kicking myself for not staying the night of the 23rd. I know there's no way there is anymore availablity at BWV, but I was thinking we might stay the night just outside of Orlando somewhere and make the 23rd a pretty full park day.

:thumbsup2 Look like great plans, Sarah. Except for the 18th, we have the same parks scheduled for the same days, but different restaurants. We're not sure whether or not we'll add the dining plan. That will make a difference with our restaurant choices. The harderst part of our schedule will be getting our teenagers to wake up for rope drop!:rotfl:

:thumbsup2 Look like great plans, Sarah. Except for the 18th, we have the same parks scheduled for the same days, but different restaurants. We're not sure whether or not we'll add the dining plan. That will make a difference with our restaurant choices. The harderst part of our schedule will be getting our teenagers to wake up for rope drop!:rotfl:

lol We'll have the opposite problem: staying up late enough to see the evening entertainment! It's a trade off I guess!

Good that you'll be at the same parks! I guess I chose correctly!:thumbsup2

I really want to see the storytellers, too. Maybe next year. When we went for Thanksgiving week 2007, we got to do all the other Christmas stuff-MVMCP, Osbourne Lights, characters in Christmas clothes, Christmas parades, etc. But we left on Thanksgiving day, and the Epcot stuff all started the day after.

Great itinerary!
We'll be at MK on the 19th, Epcot the morning of the 20th, AK the 21st, too. LOL - Why am I not surprised??!! LOL

Everything looks great! I think you are right about the ADR's and CP...see how Lily does---my kids were so well behaved as babies at WDW--probably because there is so much to see!!

Katie was well-behaved, until a character came close to her! You said Lily had been around costumed characters before, so maybe she'll do better.

I can't wait to hear about the December trip. I'm getting excited about planning a trip for the same time next year. Too bad I won't have a school schedule before next spring. It was May before it came out this year (due to budget negotiations) but it usually comes out around March. My luck, they'll probably do exams on M, T, and W and we'll just get 2 days before Christmas off.:headache: I'd love to do it this year-we have the whole week off, but I can't spend that much money after going this summer.

Great itinerary!
We'll be at MK on the 19th, Epcot the morning of the 20th, AK the 21st, too. LOL - Why am I not surprised??!! LOL

You would think we were using the same touring tool or something. I bet we see each other headed for the rope drops. Are you driving or using Disney transportation?
Everything looks great! I think you are right about the ADR's and CP...see how Lily does---my kids were so well behaved as babies at WDW--probably because there is so much to see!!

Lily is usually awesome in restuarants, she loves all the attention, but we always time trips right after a nap, so I'm hoping it'll work out. We're trying to keep to her schedule as much as possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's totally "off" while we're there, ya know. Plus who knows how different she'll be in 6 months.

Katie was well-behaved, until a character came close to her! You said Lily had been around costumed characters before, so maybe she'll do better.

I can't wait to hear about the December trip. I'm getting excited about planning a trip for the same time next year. Too bad I won't have a school schedule before next spring. It was May before it came out this year (due to budget negotiations) but it usually comes out around March. My luck, they'll probably do exams on M, T, and W and we'll just get 2 days before Christmas off.:headache: I'd love to do it this year-we have the whole week off, but I can't spend that much money after going this summer.

I really hope she's cool with the characters. I hope she loves Mickey and the gang and Pooh and the gang as much as she does on TV.

I couldn't take not knowing again next year and I sooo want to go for the holidays. I'm just glad I convinced DH.

Alright ladies, I'm starting to get very nervous about the car trip. Lily is used to long rides, but of course not this long. We got a GPS (father's day present lol) and a DVD player. I'm so much more nervous about the drive than the actual trip!

So any tips?

I'm so crazy, I've actually mapped out park days using TGM, and I'm thinking about booking WCC *just in case* a good enough deal comes out for us to go! I just want a do over without my sister!

Would you believe she said yesterday that she wants to go back in a few years, but during a cooler time. :scared1: All I could think was -not with me! And her dh asked if WDW was really open year round!

I'm so crazy, I've actually mapped out park days using TGM, and I'm thinking about booking WCC *just in case* a good enough deal comes out for us to go! I just want a do over without my sister!

Would you believe she said yesterday that she wants to go back in a few years, but during a cooler time. :scared1: All I could think was -not with me! And her dh asked if WDW was really open year round!

OMG That would be so cool!! You'd go down the same time as me right?! That would be SWEET (no pressure! ;))

That's too funny that she said that! I think it's the weird Disney magic. My mom swears she had a great time on our disaster trip, but I keep telling her she's nuts! At least we totally agree that if we ever go together again (which is a long shot unless we buy DVC someday) that we'd basically have seperate trips where we saw each other a few times while my dad and her toured at their pace and I went at mine! :rotfl:

So right now I'm working on a HUGE tshirt order so DH can make us tshirts. I mentioned it to him the other day and he's going nuts with it. He's an artist and loves making logos and banners. he already has a bunch of plans.

Dh and I were just talking about all of this, and he at least didn't freak. He asked when I was going to start planning the next trip with my sister.:scared1:I told him I was not telling her about my next trip until we got back.:rolleyes1 Then I told him that I wanted my next trip to be at Christmas, the week before, and this would be the perfect year to do it. I have no guarantee about next year, since Christmas is over a wkend. But this year we get the whole week...........

It really is a disease isn't it?;)

Dh and I were just talking about all of this, and he at least didn't freak. He asked when I was going to start planning the next trip with my sister.:scared1:I told him I was not telling her about my next trip until we got back.:rolleyes1 Then I told him that I wanted my next trip to be at Christmas, the week before, and this would be the perfect year to do it. I have no guarantee about next year, since Christmas is over a wkend. But this year we get the whole week...........

It really is a disease isn't it?;)

Yep, I just wish DH would catch the DVC flu!! :sick: :rotfl: I've had it for years!!
Symptoms are as follows:
1. Ability to look math in the eye and scoff! (I know it truly can save some people money...we are not those people! :thumbsup2)
2. Tendancy to read the DVC boards just in case.
3. Thoughts like "But it forces us to vacation at least every other year, and vacations are very important to me."
4. Tendancy to stare lovingly at all of the "Best Kept Secret" signs at WDW, knowing exactly what the secret is (and feeling pretty smug about that knowledge).

AHHH!! This trip is too close!

We went to the zoo and she did great. She was fine with getting in and out of the stroller and I even NIP for the first time! (nursed in public) That didn't go very well though and now I'm trying to find a light weight cover. I figure she might be okay with that in the AC. She is just so squirmy and wants to latch and relatch all the time. And so easily distracted. Ugh.

I'm actually hoping to get away with mainly only nursing in the hotel room. And maybe once a day at the baby stations? She MUCH prefers solids now and hasn't been nusing as much...so we'll see.

Packing List! Just over 2 more weeks! AHHH!

Car
1. GPS (load mousesavers POI!)
2. DVD player/DVDs
3. Music
4. Toys (magnadoodle, bubbles, glow sticks)
5. Blankets/pillow
6. Baby neck pillow

Toiletries
1. Shampoo
2. Body wash
3. Deodorant
4. Toothbrush/paste
5. Hairbrush
6. Face wash/lotion
7. Contacts/solution/cases
8. Glasses/cases
9. Hair ties
10. Shaving stuff
11. Lotion
12. Feminine junk

Sun related
1. Sun block (baby & adult)
2. After sun lotion
3. Filter bottles/filters
4. Water/water bottle carabineer
5. Misty fan
6. Sunglasses
7. Chapstick
8. Hat
9. Chilly pads

Misc.
1. Cellphone/charger
2. Cameras/chargers/SD cards
3. Ziplocks
4. Meds (immodium, gas x, advil/Tylenol/Excedrin)
5. Moleskin, blister bandaids, bandaid footrub)
6. Baggalini/fanny pack
7. All in one laundry sheets
8. Gum/candy
9. DS/chargers/games
10. Journal for trip report
11. Extra batteries/screwdriver for fan, etc
12. Ponchos
13. Shoes (crocs, tevas)
14. Ear plugs
15. Dish soap
16. ADR List
17. Credit cards/cash/Disney rewards card
18. Touring plans

Baby List
1. Diapers (how many?)
2. Wipes
3. Food—graham crackers, cheerios, tube purees, yogurt bites
4. Sippy cups/cup tether
5. Wet bag
6. Outfits prebagged
7. Toys—Mickey, little people?
8. Tiny Diner
9. Stroller/ray shade/rain cover/stroller bag
10. Stroller fan
11. Baby shampoo/wash/lotion/powder
12. Swim diapers
13. Swim floaties
14. Wash cloths
15. Hairbrush
16. Baby medicines (teething tablets, motrin)
17. Teethers
18. Cooler bag for washcloths/water
19. Hats
20. Sharpie/autograph book?

Great trip report. We caught the DVC flu after my son was born and we realized how many more trips were in our future and now our regret is we didn't buy sooner.

We are going in August and December too this year.

Great report so far! :thumbsup2 I can't wait to hear about Lily's first trip. We took my daughter, Maddie, down last August at almost 11 months & she LOVED it! She LOVED all the furry characters, mostly Mickey. She was (and still is, LOL) obsessed with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse before our trip and she was so excited to see Mickey in person. She seems to love all characters we see too, though - the Red Robin, Chick-Fil-a cow and mascots at ballgames. She met Snoopy the other night at the local minor league ballgame & loved him, too. :)

We are probably only doing DHS once or twice in December - we definitely want the girls to see the Osbourne Lights at least once and Maddie really loved the Playhouse Disney show last time - she was just in awe the whole time. So, that is a must do for us even though there's so little else we'll want to do there this trip.

We are planning our next trip down in December & it'll be our 2nd daughter's 1st trip this time around. Maddie will be 27 months & Evie will be 8 months at the time. We've never driven down (as adults, anyways) but will be driving down in December. Airfare was just too expensive & we wanted the car to get around in with the girls. Right now, our plan is to try to drive as much as possible when the girls would be sleeping. We're thinking of either leaving during afternoon naptime or at bedtime & trying to drive overnight as much as possible. Still not sure what the best option is for a drive so long.

Oh, and we live in Mentor & both graduated from Mentor. Small world! :)

You would think we were using the same touring tool or something. I bet we see each other headed for the rope drops. Are you driving or using Disney transportation?
:lmao:I know, right??!!

We'll have a rental car for our December trip. I believe the only park we'll take a bus to will be MK.

AHHH!! This trip is too close!

We went to the zoo and she did great. She was fine with getting in and out of the stroller and I even NIP for the first time! (nursed in public) That didn't go very well though and now I'm trying to find a light weight cover. I figure she might be okay with that in the AC. She is just so squirmy and wants to latch and relatch all the time. And so easily distracted. Ugh.

I'm actually hoping to get away with mainly only nursing in the hotel room. And maybe once a day at the baby stations? She MUCH prefers solids now and hasn't been nusing as much...so we'll see.

It's ok....it's a learned task, I think. The more practice you get the better. We laugh about all the weird places I've nursed...:rotfl:You'd be surprised!!! As she gets older she'll be less squirmy while eating.

The baby stations are great places to nurse. The rooms for nursing are quiet with no distractions. There are also many rides you can nurse withouse anyone ever knowing. I became the master of finding the rides, corners, shaded benches, etc. My son loved to nurse all the time.

Great report so far! :thumbsup2 I can't wait to hear about Lily's first trip. We took my daughter, Maddie, down last August at almost 11 months & she LOVED it! She LOVED all the furry characters, mostly Mickey. She was (and still is, LOL) obsessed with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse before our trip and she was so excited to see Mickey in person. She seems to love all characters we see too, though - the Red Robin, Chick-Fil-a cow and mascots at ballgames. She met Snoopy the other night at the local minor league ballgame & loved him, too. :)

We are probably only doing DHS once or twice in December - we definitely want the girls to see the Osbourne Lights at least once and Maddie really loved the Playhouse Disney show last time - she was just in awe the whole time. So, that is a must do for us even though there's so little else we'll want to do there this trip.

We are planning our next trip down in December & it'll be our 2nd daughter's 1st trip this time around. Maddie will be 27 months & Evie will be 8 months at the time. We've never driven down (as adults, anyways) but will be driving down in December. Airfare was just too expensive & we wanted the car to get around in with the girls. Right now, our plan is to try to drive as much as possible when the girls would be sleeping. We're thinking of either leaving during afternoon naptime or at bedtime & trying to drive overnight as much as possible. Still not sure what the best option is for a drive so long.

Oh, and we live in Mentor & both graduated from Mentor. Small world! :)

Wow sweet! I guess you didn't recognize DH? When are you going in December?

I'll do my best to send along a ton of driving trips, especially since we have the exact same drive!

I bet we've been at Red Robin at the same time before. We're there like all the time! lol

It's ok....it's a learned task, I think. The more practice you get the better. We laugh about all the weird places I've nursed...:rotfl:You'd be surprised!!! As she gets older she'll be less squirmy while eating.

The baby stations are great places to nurse. The rooms for nursing are quiet with no distractions. There are also many rides you can nurse withouse anyone ever knowing. I became the master of finding the rides, corners, shaded benches, etc. My son loved to nurse all the time.

I'm still a little nervous, but I know we'll figure it out. I've been re-reading old trip reports and everyone in those survived, so I know we will too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter