• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying so hard not to cry. I know it's for the best, but I have been so looking forward to this after so much bad news in my personal and professional life. I emotionally needed this trip more than I can possibly express in words

This is exactly how I feel as well. To add insult to injury, we also have a 3 night DCL cruise booked in May (our first cruise with Disney ever) and had been planning this Disneyland trip for more than 9 months (we’re from the southeast so it’s been a major excitement for us to return to Disneyland). This hurts. The fear and panic is almost palpable here and it really stinks to not have that vacation to look forward to. I’m sure we’ll reschedule - but like you, not sure when will work out for that. Sending you light! :hug:

It's also a nice time to remind folks the DIS has an ignore feature *LOL I just realized this might look like I'm shading you @kristensideaoffun I swear I'm not! I literally just remembered this* so if you see a user saying something that you just want to slam like it's Facebook around here consider clicking on their name and hitting "ignore". They won't know you did that and you will won't be tempted to respond.

It's certainly helped me hold my tongue! :D
The second best feature available is to hide ALL signatures. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Seriously, so much less scrolling, you will save a lot of time. And.. please don’t take this as offense to YOUR signature. Hahaha I can’t even see it! :D

Last edited:
We flew in from Orlando on Wednesday morning and are/were due to check in to the DLH tomorrow early in the morning and then go straight to the park. We are now wondering what to do... should we check in and then talk to Disney at the hotel about options? We are already here in Anaheim so we can’t cancel flights... Thinking about coming back in end of July if Disney will work with us but have no idea how we’re going to pay for another 4 round trip tickets this summer.
We are WDW AP holders but this is our kids first trip to Disneyland . I am sure they will announce the AP impact soon, so maybe some of you should not be clogging phone lines and email boxes at the moment.

Re: travel insurance, most insurance purchased after January 21st (first reported covid-9 case in the US) won’t cover pre-departure covid-related cancellations.

You could argue this is a post-departure event, therefore covered.

but literally every travel insurance contract is different, so YMMV.

It is just really bad timing for anyone with any Disney trips planned right now. Awful situation.

I'm here now at the Grand Californian Villas and other than the notice on the website and the pop-up on the app they have not notified me as a guest that I have to be out of here by Monday. I didn't know anything about the closure until my mother called me. I've already booked a flight home on Saturday hoping they don't shut down the airports before then. Now I need to find out what they will do about my unused ticket days & my DVC Points.

We are here now and due to check out on Saturday. I tried to get a flight home tomorrow instead but no such luck. I am not sure what we are going to do tomorrow. I am not sure I want to deal with the crowds if they are going to be bad. We had a good few days but now, I just want to go home. I'm nervous that air travel will be grounded before we can leave Saturday.

We are here now and due to check out on Saturday. I tried to get a flight home tomorrow instead but no such luck. I am not sure what we are going to do tomorrow. I am not sure I want to deal with the crowds if they are going to be bad. We had a good few days but now, I just want to go home. I'm nervous that air travel will be grounded before we can leave Saturday.
I’m so sorry about what you’re going through 😢. There’s a massive amount of flight cancellation going on right now so I hope you guys find a flight back home ✨✨

I wonder what they're going to do about people with multi-day tickets whose first day in the parks was yesterday or today and who won't get the full use of them before they expire? Give them new tickets for the unused days? That would take a LOT of logistical work.

I JUST (yesterday) took advantage of the SWA fare sale to book our flights for Memorial Day weekend. They are no-charge cancellations, but there's no way I'll get tickets that cheap if I reschedule. Plus, the whole reason we're going then is because our timeshare points expire June 1 and we have to use them by then. Now, I can probably get the timeshare company to extend the expiration if I had to. But I really just want to go in May.

We arrived last Saturday, 3-7 and were scheduled on the last flight out of SNA tonight 3-12.
I called Alaska last night and sat on hold for over two hours, wanted to ask about changing our tickets.
Never got through to a person....

With the weather today we decided to BAG IT at 1:30pm and try to get on an earlier flight today.
While we were waiting for a taxi, a lady came into the lobby and asked if they could get a refund on their hotel now that Disney was closing due to the virus.

When we got to SNA we went straight to the Alaska counter. Alaska's front desk person was a little resistant to allow us to change to the 3:55pm flight. They wanted us to pay the change fees. After a little conversation with them they went and asked a supervisor. The supervisor approved our request. We're home now and happy to be relaxing in our own space.

I wish everyone well in their travels returning home.
I feel bad for those having their plans interrupted.

Good luck everyone

Geemo

We are going to be cancelling our Easter trip with this news.

Really hoping for a summer trip but the health care system and everything has a long way to recover by then. First trip in 12 years. Sigh.

Probably a dumb question but do I have to go in and cancel our reservations (Oga's, BB, etc) too or when we cancel our tickets will it all get done simultaneously? We're waiting a couple days so people immediately affected can have priority since we have time.

If one good thing can come out of this... please let this be the end of Captain Kidd's.

While it's not a place I like to eat at, the restaurant is a Godsend for many parents, providing a filling meal at the price of a corndog at Disneyland. Captain Kidd's has a couple dozen employees, many of which have been with the company for a long time (it's been there for 26 years) and would struggle to transition to a new employer (lower wages, etc.) While I realize you're trying to be funny, please think of these people. I have a client (not Kidd's) that owns a popular restaurant within walking distance of Disneyland, and DL's closure is going to effect him and his family profoundly. It really isn't something to joke about.

I'm trying so hard not to cry. I know it's for the best, but I have been so looking forward to this after so much bad news in my personal and professional life. I emotionally needed this trip more than I can possibly express in words.

So many hugs. I FEEL this so hard. It has been an extraordinarily difficult fall and spring for my family. There have been multiple nights I've gone to sleep telling myself to just "focus on Disney" as our "prize" for surviving it and to give me light at the end of the tunnel. Today I had to tell my so-excited 5-year-old it's not happening.

Of course a trip to Disneyland isn't the end of the world, but it's just really bad news on top of 6 months of bad news. Meanwhile, four school districts near me closed today, it looks like my office may shutter, and I've been told to prepare for my son's daycare to close next week or the week after. I am legitimately terrified of the both macro- and micro-economic impact of all this.

We arrived last Saturday, 3-7 and were scheduled on the last flight out of SNA tonight 3-12.
I called Alaska last night and sat on hold for over two hours, wanted to ask about changing our tickets.
Never got through to a person....

With the weather today we decided to BAG IT at 1:30pm and try to get on an earlier flight today.
While we were waiting for a taxi, a lady came into the lobby and asked if they could get a refund on their hotel now that Disney was closing due to the virus.

When we got to SNA we went straight to the Alaska counter. Alaska's front desk person was a little resistant to allow us to change to the 3:55pm flight. They wanted us to pay the change fees. After a little conversation with them they went and asked a supervisor. The supervisor approved our request. We're home now and happy to be relaxing in our own space.

I wish everyone well in their travels returning home.
I feel bad for those having their plans interrupted.

Good luck everyone

Geemo
Glad you are home. Even though it ended a little crazy, I hope your trip was fun.

I’m feeling for you all so much. Sending hugs to those who had trips planned!

I’ve been down all day. I teach at a college and our classes just moved online and now my sons school is expected to close. Its all feeling surreal.

Seeing Disney close invokes such a sadness to me even if we don’t have plans to go until July.. it’s like a bright star in the dark going out. Or something. I’m sure you get what I mean. Makes you realize how real this all is and how much it can impact. Glad Disney is playing it safe and supporting their employees though. But man, I’m bummed out to see it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter