Suggestions for rainy days at Aulani?

poohj80

Got Hunny?
We're headed to Aulani for our first trip in a couple of weeks. I know it's a bit early to believe the weather predictions, but our days are all showing cloudy, windy, and raining every day. We plan to be in the pool or at the beach mostly so a little rain won't bother us, but wondered if Aulani closes the pools if the weather gets too bad? If so, do the offer done extra indoor activities? We'd like to do some ocean excursions too but fear they may get canceled if the weather is bad too.

Thanks in advance for sharing any past experiences or suggestions for rainy days.

We had one day of thunderstorms with lots of lightning during our Aulani stay last October and they did close all of the pools, but it sounded like that was pretty rare. I would very much doubt that all of your days will be rainy. And if it is raining at Aulani, it is likely that is sunny on other parts of the island, so if you have a car, you can always head to better weather.

I didn't notice an increase in inside activities, but they did still hold character greetings (under a covered area) and of course the community hall was open. We didn't do it, but there is an inside version of the Menehune Trail. We loved the outside version and it took us multiple days to get through it. You could always head to the spa! DD10 and I had pedicures the day it rained. They did cancel the Starlit Hui the night of the storms, but fortunately we were there to catch it the next time it was offered.

The trickiest part of the storms was that to get food or drink refills, you have to walk outside.

Was there two weeks ago and it was cloudy and rainy - but no thunderstorms - so we were able to continue on with our plans. Walked on the beach near the cove and on the rocky ocean shore. It was cooler than the last two days when there were sunny skies. I am not complaining because we were in paradise not the sunshine state!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm thinking "cooler" in Hawaii is still nicer than home. :-)

I'm at the Honolulu airport now :sad1: but we just came off of three rainy days. One day it rained all day, the other two it cleared up by afternoon.

When we were signing up for the ukelele lessons ( free, and inside, therefore dry) we found out you can borrow two DVDs (no charge) at a time. Not how you want to spend your Hawaiian vacation, but it's available and they have quite a collection of Disney movies.

We went to Dole Plantation, hoping the rain would stop. It didn't but at least the temperature was relatively warm. We did the train ride and left. I can't say that I'd recommend driving there in the rain just for the train ride (we went on to have lunch at Big Wave Shrimp and shave ice at Matsamoto's).

Bottom line, see if any indoor activities are being offered and sign up early, borrow DVDs, or continue with regularly scheduled plans because rain is relatively warm.

I'm at the Honolulu airport now :sad1: but we just came off of three rainy days. One day it rained all day, the other two it cleared up by afternoon.

When we were signing up for the ukelele lessons ( free, and inside, therefore dry) we found out you can borrow two DVDs (no charge) at a time. Not how you want to spend your Hawaiian vacation, but it's available and they have quite a collection of Disney movies.

We went to Dole Plantation, hoping the rain would stop. It didn't but at least the temperature was relatively warm. We did the train ride and left. I can't say that I'd recommend driving there in the rain just for the train ride (we went on to have lunch at Big Wave Shrimp and shave ice at Matsamoto's).

Bottom line, see if any indoor activities are being offered and sign up early, borrow DVDs, or continue with regularly scheduled plans because rain is relatively warm.

Thanks for the feedback! We'll pack light rain jackets and small umbrellas in case. Did you consider doing the maze at Dole plantation or do you think it would be miserable in the rain?

Thanks for the rain tips--the weather forecast really isn't looking too great for our trip. :( poohj80, I think we're scheduled to be there at the same time as you. We arrive on the 26th of March.

Thanks for the rain tips--the weather forecast really isn't looking too great for our trip. :( poohj80, I think we're scheduled to be there at the same time as you. We arrive on the 26th of March.

Yep, we arrive March 23rd. We have done the Alaska cruise too (your signature pic) and would LOVE to do that again!

Our opinion was that the Dole Plantation was a tourist trap.

A good rainy day activity would be to drive around the island. I'm specifically thinking that you could go to the North Shore. It may not be raining up there.

Yep, we arrive March 23rd. We have done the Alaska cruise too (your signature pic) and would LOVE to do that again!

Poohj80 - we're also arriving on 3/23. I'm wondering where you're able to see the weather forecast so far out? Rainy or not, can't wait for our trip!

Laura

Poohj80 - we're also arriving on 3/23. I'm wondering where you're able to see the weather forecast so far out? Rainy or not, can't wait for our trip!

Laura

Most online weather sites will show you a month's predictions, I just don't put much stock in them until we get closer.

We went for 10 nights about a month ago. They predicted rain just about everyday. The system was even named the pineapple express. Ha ha We were nervous but it didn't rain that much at all. If it rained it was usually a sprinkle or it would move out quickly. We maybe had 2 "heavier"days total. We either went sightseeing or we went in the pool and infinity hot tub. Why not, we were getting wet anyway. I think it is hard to predict weather there because of the mountains and the ocean . I wouldn't worry, it's still paradise

We were there recently and it rained a couple days on us...no big deal since its still warm but here is how we made the best time of it. Go down at opening ~8am and get seats with umbrellas next to the pool. We just sat there most of the day while the kids went nuts in the pool and water slides. Really helped that we were dry under the umbrellas even during the rain. Everything is still open during rain but it is less crowded. :) (really helps with the water slide line)

We went for 10 nights about a month ago. They predicted rain just about everyday. The system was even named the pineapple express. Ha ha We were nervous but it didn't rain that much at all. If it rained it was usually a sprinkle or it would move out quickly. We maybe had 2 "heavier"days total. We either went sightseeing or we went in the pool and infinity hot tub. Why not, we were getting wet anyway. I think it is hard to predict weather there because of the mountains and the ocean . I wouldn't worry, it's still paradise

Thanks for that feedback! We're not really worried about it, just interested in options. If it's not raining hard we'll definitely still be in the pool and on the beach since, as you said, we'll be wet anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter