sudden death in athletes

Is there something relevant about page 14 of this document you referenced?

Is there an article to go with your link about sudden death in athletes?

Is there something relevant about page 14 of this document you referenced?

Is there an article to go with your link about sudden death in athletes?
nothing relevant about page 14. There is not an article.

This is a list of sudden deaths among athletes for each year. It is shocking. I will comment that many are preventable.

Such a sad state. We value sports at literally all costs.

I'm not sure how this shows we value sports at all costs. Sudden cardiac arrest is a terrible thing in someone so young but things like this could happen while in gym class, while hanging out with friends and engaging in an activity, while on vacation with family.

I had a friend pass away in their sleep at a very young age. It was a terrible tragedy and had absolutely nothing to do with sports. They had a heart condition that could have manifested at any time.

Last edited:
69 pages. 25 deaths/page = 1725 deaths.

2023 - 1909 = 114 years.

1725/114 = 15 deaths/year.

As the parent of two youth athletes, I could not imagine the horror the families went through. But "valuing sports at literally all costs"? Sorry, no. How many hundreds of thousands (millions?) of youths participate in sports each year, with all of the benefits (and yes, some detriments) of participating?

More teenagers die every YEAR from car crashes than the total from the above chart. Source

https://data.usatoday.com/deadly-games-sudden-death-in-athletes/?page=14

it's time for sports physicals. Ask for a heart screening for your child
Twenty years ago, the year before DS#2 started high school, our high school lost an athlete to sudden death. It was just hours after another in our state also died. That year 3 were lost, two could have been prevented had they had heart scans. The young man at our school's parents & friends fought to get this acknowledged by state lawmakers and get a program in place for kids to get affordable scans. My DS had his scan before he started cross country (a grueling sport). DD had begun to run so she also had one before she started high school. When she went to college, to compete they insisted she get another since hers was older.

It is a simple exam that doesn't take long, can be done at a low cost and can save lives.

And I'll add this ~ the horror these families go through I can not imagine, but I know as the parent of two athletes who competed in grueling sports, it was worth every minute and every penny. I will never diminish deaths as not enough to matter. ALSO most the athletes who do die do so in front of their friends, their teammates, their coaches, maybe family and fans. They are also traumatized.

In comparing to car deaths .... not only did they put in tons of hours with us, I had my kids take driver's lessons but that was not enough. Both took very intensive Defensive Driving courses where they did hands on with a real car. 20 and 15 years later neither have been in an accident but have told me they used the skills learned.

As a parent I will spend the extra money for my kids health and safety. I wish more were aware of this option and how it is especially important if there had been any heart issues or early deaths in a family.

Next posts will be obesity in young people, they're inside on their screens so much, and teen violence and gang activity is up.

Can't win. Lol no pun intended.

Sports and activities like marching band were great for my 4 kids. Physicals were always required though, I'm not sure how thorough they can be with all the team lined up and waiting to get there's.

There are now more concussion protocols than before for contact sports.

Our sons did have a fellow soccer teammate who collapsed and died while in Gatlinburg Christmas Eve from a condition they had no idea he had. It was very sad. The family was able to donate his organs and mom later got to hear his heartbeat in someone else's chest.

I do have a son with a congenital bicuspid aortic valve who gets check ups every 2 years. He was told no bodybuilding or heavy weightlifting.

https://data.usatoday.com/deadly-games-sudden-death-in-athletes/?page=14

it's time for sports physicals. Ask for a heart screening for your child
Sports physicals were required when I was in High School, I graduated in 1975. And my son had to have one, he graduated in 2005. Not sure how you are defining heart screening. Googling it the only tests listed are blood pressure check, BMI, cholesterol and blood glucose checks. I would think the first two would be a normal part of any physical, don't recall any blood work being required. Are you suggesting something more than these tests?

Sports physicals were required when I was in High School, I graduated in 1975. And my son had to have one, he graduated in 2005. Not sure how you are defining heart screening. Googling it the only tests listed are blood pressure check, BMI, cholesterol and blood glucose checks. I would think the first two would be a normal part of any physical, don't recall any blood work being required. Are you suggesting something more than these tests?
I'm guessing they're referring to something like this: https://www.chsli.org/blog/cardiac-screenings-student-athletes-what-you-should-know

What should we expect at the cardiac screening?​

The screening takes approximately 45 minutes. Your child is given an electrocardiogram (EKG) and echocardiogram with immediate results interpreted by renowned cardiologists at St. Francis Heart Center, home to Long Island’s most awarded heart program.

Now that I think about it, when DS was younger, he ended getting a heart screening because of something that had happened on the field. He's still playing, so couldn't have been too bad.

I'm guessing they're referring to something like this: https://www.chsli.org/blog/cardiac-screenings-student-athletes-what-you-should-know

Now that I think about it, when DS was younger, he ended getting a heart screening because of something that had happened on the field. He's still playing, so couldn't have been too bad.
Then you have situations like Damar Hamiln. A blow to the chest at the exact wrong second stops your perfectly healthy heart.
I remember some Little League required heart guard chest protectors for batters to prevent such situation.

As someone who had an ablation one week ago today to treat afib, I have gotten a whole lot more interested in heart health than I was a few months ago.

Hopefully Damar Hamlin dying out on the field and being brought back to life by Denny Killington's quick thinking will make people pay better attention moving forward.

Hopefully Damar Hamlin dying out on the field and being brought back to life by Denny Killington's quick thinking will make people pay better attention moving forward.
Well, except he was clearly more completely examined medically than any youth sports player ever will be. He was in perfect health before, and after suffering cardiac arrest from a blow to the chest.
Would have made no difference in his case.

Really, so you see ignoring and paramedics as the two options? OK
Ignoring what? I'm asking you to expand on your statement. You want the Damar Hamlin incident to make people "pay better attention". I'm asking you what you want them to pay attention to.

Hamlin, IIRC, was PERFECTLY healthy. Having trained medical personnel at the stadium saved his life. I would love to see that at every sporting event. Is it realistic though? What else would you like to see? AEDs at all sites? Great idea. Except when the site is just a park with no buildings other than the bathrooms.

High schools already require athletic trainers at sanctioned games.

However, there are always pick-up games and practices on short notice. And countless non-school affiliated practices, games and activities.

Yes. There is a very specific scan. We’ve been three times and they are part of kids school physical (college required) and in medical records.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter