such a thing as a play called wicked ?

It's WONDERFUL! I took my oldest dd to see it a couple years ago when it came to Phoenix. Really, really awesome musical.

it's an *amazing* musical loosely based on an incredible book loosely based on both of the wizard of oz movies (not so much the books - and I don't mean the wiz either).

i've seen it here on broadway with the original cast a few years ago and have already bought my ticket for the LA production next week (excited about seeing eden espinoza and carol kane).

right now there are a couple of decent discounts for Tuesday - Thursday shows, use password 5spring (for april shows anyway) for 20% off, metro also gives 20% for Tuesday shows indefinitely. there's also a 40% off password of family , but the seats are a bit further back.

the premise is the unknown against-all-odds friendship of the good witch of the north and the wicked witch of the west in boarding school. most of it takes place prior to dorothy gale's appearance. it's kinda cheesy and thinly veiled in its morality (i've heard it called preachy) but it's still a great show and the music and lyrics are phenomenal.

here's a photo I took of Eden performing during Broadway on Broadway in 2006

94525967_XJePZ-XL-1.jpg

It is a great play!!

I saw it at the pantagous and my recommendation is if in the balcony level try to be at least 10 seats in from the sides.. it was reallyh awesome!

sorry, but all my years in the business i feel compelled to point out there is a difference between a play and a musical. i used to not know/care but somehow all those theatre people jumping down my throat every time i misspoke got to me.

wicked uses its songs and music as a vehicle for the story, so it's a musical

a play, while it can have music in it, is primarily all spoken.

and on the tangent, stephen schwartz just got a star on the hollywood walk of fame earlier this month

sorry, but all my years in the business i feel compelled to point out there is a difference between a play and a musical. i used to not know/care but somehow all those theatre people jumping down my throat every time i misspoke got to me.

And if you buy the CD, make sure you call it a "cast recording" and not a "soundtrack". The theater people will run you out of town in a lynch mob if you call it a soundtrack. ;)

I also saw Wicked on Broadway with the original cast and it's terrific. Definitely see it if you have the chance.

it's the untold story of OZ :)

I haven't made my way there yet for this, but I heard they extended this a year. It's in the Pantages Theater in LA

We are going to see Wicked in Chicago for the 2nd time. I have seen other musicals, but this is by far my favorite. It is very family friendly!

We are planning a trip to L.A. July 14-18...Does anyone know if Wicked will still be playing at the Pantages? It's listed until the 6th...but doesn't say anything more...

Dawn- I think it got picked up for another year. I'm not sure though, but they've been pimping the crap out of it on the radios here

Wicked was extended to Jan 11, 2009. I believe that's as far as it's going to go as they're bringing other musicals to the Pantages later that month.

JoAnne Worley replaced Carol Kane as Madame Morrible and Caissie Levy replaced Eden Espinosa as Elphaba.

ENJOY!!!

ugh.. well.. don't i feel stupid.. so much for relying on a source i knew was dated to begin with.

The show is amazing in LA. I saw it twice while I was out there in March and I have seen it twice in NYC. :)

My dh took me to the touring production in Cleveland this winter. It was so amazing! We both really loved it and would love to take the kids next time. We travel to WDW frequently and had been talking to the famous Chef Dick who is in the Polynesian Resort's concierge lounge. We knew his daughter had been with Miss Saigon (among other things) and had asked what she was doing now. He told us that she was touring with Wicked and that she was playing Nessa Rose (sister in the wheelchair) So, we enjoyed it even more knowing that someone we love to see in Disney had a daughter in the show!

On a side note, also LOVED Avenue Q, but that is definitely not for kiddos!!:thumbsup2

We travel to WDW frequently and had been talking to the famous Chef Dick who is in the Polynesian Resort's concierge lounge. We knew his daughter had been with Miss Saigon (among other things) and had asked what she was doing now. He told us that she was touring with Wicked and that she was playing Nessa Rose (sister in the wheelchair) So, we enjoyed it even more knowing that someone we love to see in Disney had a daughter in the show!

My brother had a huge, HUGE crush on Dee Dee Magno back when she starred on the new Mickey Mouse Club in the late 80's/early 90's and the singing group "The Party", especially since she grew up in the same city we grew up in.

Happy to read that she's doing well. :)

On a side note, also LOVED Avenue Q, but that is definitely not for kiddos!!:thumbsup2

Lord Love A Duck, NO! :rotfl:

We took our son to Wicked (my birthday present) when he was 7. He loved it- and I about died laughing when his disapproval embarassed the teens behind us into shutting up for the second half. ("Mama! Do those big girls not know that one does not TALK at the theatre?") :rotfl2: We did NOT take him to Rent or Avenue Q. I have been informed that this year I should consider choosing a birthday gift we can *all* go to. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter