Studio followed by a 1 bedroom, how much of a hassle would this be at OKW?

snoopy5386

DIS Veteran
Looking to save some points for our next trip and thinking of booking our first night in a studio and then the other 5 in a one bedroom. How much of a pain would this be at OKW if we don't have a car? Would they most likely put us in the same building?

Reference the 2 reservations to each other and talk to the front desk when you check in. I am sure that they will try to help but it is only a request.

Bell Services will move your stuff but you will be homeless between 11 and 4.

:earsboy: Bill

Looking to save some points for our next trip and thinking of booking our first night in a studio and then the other 5 in a one bedroom. How much of a pain would this be at OKW if we don't have a car? Would they most likely put us in the same building?

You'd have to move out by 11AM and your new villa might not be available until after 4PM. That means you have to completely move out, stash your stuff with Bell Services (at the Hospitality House) and then move into your new location. There would be no guarantee that you would get the same building. And being in the same building wouldn't even be benefit.

You could purchase a few one time use points from MS at seven months out and add the last night in the one bedroom villa.

Like Disneynutz said, i would have MS put comments on each rez to cross reference them. Not sure that they can actually "link" them since they are different room types. Then I would call the resort directly at about a week before your arrival date and talk to someone at the FD to ask them to please block both rooms as close together as possible.

The resorts are quite accustomed to people moving from one room to another, and they will store your luggage, etc. In fact, if you were changing resorts,(and you are not in this case) they will even move your luggage for you, though it could take a number of hours before it might arrive at your new resort.

Like Disneynutz said, i would have MS put comments on each rez to cross reference them. Not sure that they can actually "link" them since they are different room types. Then I would call the resort directly at about a week before your arrival date and talk to someone at the FD to ask them to please block both rooms as close together as possible.

The resorts are quite accustomed to people moving from one room to another, and they will store your luggage, etc. In fact, if you were changing resorts,(and you are not in this case) they will even move your luggage for you, though it could take a number of hours before it might arrive at your new resort.

DVC has asked us not to call or fax the resorts. You just get a call center anyway.

To me it's not a big deal. We tend to do split stays. As others have said you will need to checkout, and technically not have a room until 4 PM. However depending on what your requests are there is a chance the room may be available much earlier. I would email and/or call member services and put in a request for early check-in, also explain what you hope to have. if available you might be lucky enough to slide over pretty quick. Of course we usually plan on things for the day so we usually aren't too worried about when room is ready. We will take a back pack with us so we will have everything we need. Don't know about you but I can't think of too May times I'm in my hotel room between 11 and 4.

FWIW - we did this EXACT scenario once... ONCE. Never again. We ended up having to cart our own bags (6 of them - because my kids were too small to help) about a half mile through the resort to our next room. We did "connect" them...but our 1bedroom was clear on the opposite side of resort. We could have left our bags for bell services, but didn't want to... we were too afraid they wouldn't transfer properly. We were basically out of commission for an entire day, between packing, bag transfer, walking, packing "extra" bags with immediate needs while we were homeless, and waiting/texting for new check-ins. Then unpacking...again. It was not very "vacation-y"... and I don't think we'd do it again.

Someone on the dis gave me good advice once... you bought points to use them and enjoy them. Don't skimp on the points if it will negatively effect your vacation. You bought them..... use them :-) My 2 cents.

FWIW - we did this EXACT scenario once... ONCE. Never again. We ended up having to cart our own bags (6 of them - because my kids were too small to help) about a half mile through the resort to our next room. We did "connect" them...but our 1bedroom was clear on the opposite side of resort. We could have left our bags for bell services, but didn't want to... we were too afraid they wouldn't transfer properly. We were basically out of commission for an entire day, between packing, bag transfer, walking, packing "extra" bags with immediate needs while we were homeless, and waiting/texting for new check-ins. Then unpacking...again. It was not very "vacation-y"... and I don't think we'd do it again.

Someone on the dis gave me good advice once... you bought points to use them and enjoy them. Don't skimp on the points if it will negatively effect your vacation. You bought them..... use them :-) My 2 cents.

Why didn't you call bell services and have them move your luggage and family?

:earsboy: Bill

Just did this at BWV. It was great. They had the 2nd room ready at 8am. Just switched in the am and off we went! Good luck!

We ended up having to cart our own bags (6 of them - because my kids were too small to help) about a half mile through the resort to our next room. We did "connect" them...but our 1bedroom was clear on the opposite side of resort. We could have left our bags for bell services, but didn't want to... we were too afraid they wouldn't transfer properly. We were basically out of commission for an entire day, between packing, bag transfer, walking, packing "extra" bags with immediate needs while we were homeless, and waiting/texting for new check-ins.

You say you had a time being homeless, but you say that you walked your bags to the next room. Where were they in the meantime?

As disneynutz alluded to, you could have had Bell Services help you out. Even if you didn't have them actually transfer them, you could have had them pick them up, hold them for you, then deliver them once you were in your new room.

OP we've only done this with a car (but even then we have Bell hold our bags because I'm NOT leaving my stuff in an unprotected car!) but as long as you plan out what goes in what bag (especially if you're the type who can plan it down to the clothes people will wear each day, and make bags for the first part and bags for the second part, so you're not unpacking everything both times) and are organized, you can make it easier on yourself.

Just did this at BWV. It was great. They had the 2nd room ready at 8am. Just switched in the am and off we went! Good luck!
It probably worked out so well because you were moving within a resort so the room assigner was able to see what you were doing and assign you (for your second room) to a room that was vacant the night before to get you in early.

We've done a few split stays (moving to a different resort) and never got the second room before 2pm. One time we didn't get in until after 4pm.

It probably worked out so well because you were moving within a resort so the room assigner was able to see what you were doing and assign you (for your second room) to a room that was vacant the night before to get you in early.

They really lucked out. We've done this a few times at BWV and BCV. Never have had a room before lunch :goodvibes But I'm keeping my hopes up. We're actually doing the opposite and going from a 2bd to a studio on the next trip.

I am sorry about those that have had a experience but they should have done more research. We have done this more than 10 times and usually change to a different resort. It is super easy! With no direct flights and not wanting to take a 6:00am flight we never arrive in Orlando before 3 or 4. After we check in we go straight to a park. When we get back that evening we call bell services and they bring our bags up. We get out the clothes for the next day and and keep everything else packed. The following morning we call bell services in the morning so they come back up and get our bags. We have them delivered to the resort we will be staying at the rest of the trip. You can do an online check in so you will receive a text when the new room is ready. When you arrive just call bell services to bring the bags up! This has allowed us to stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom on every trip. It really helps when staying at the BLT with park view. We own at several resorts but with small contracts. This allows us to stretch out our points and even have a few trips to VGC where the points are high for 1 or 2 bedroom! Our next trip in December we have 2 nights at a BLT studio followed by 5 nights in a value 1 bedroom at AKV! The only time I will touch the bags is when I load the car before we leave for the airport!

Its easy and worth it if you plan for it. We use a small bag for just first night so there is no repacking and call bell services to get and move luggage.

We do it all the time! Stay 2 nights in a studio then 3 in a 1BR. Sometimes we try to split resorts but sometimes we stay at the same one. We always plan "moving day" as a park day so that we don't feel homeless.

We also occasionally add a dining plan to the studio portion and eat well for the first three days. The only place I won't split is HHI. We bought enough points to do our whole stay in a 1BR when we visit over spring break.

You say you had a time being homeless, but you say that you walked your bags to the next room. Where were they in the meantime? As disneynutz alluded to, you could have had Bell Services help you out. Even if you didn't have them actually transfer them, you could have had them pick them up, hold them for you, then deliver them once you were in your new room. OP we've only done this with a car (but even then we have Bell hold our bags because I'm NOT leaving my stuff in an unprotected car!) but as long as you plan out what goes in what bag (especially if you're the type who can plan it down to the clothes people will wear each day, and make bags for the first part and bags for the second part, so you're not unpacking everything both times) and are organized, you can make it easier on yourself.

We walked our bags to hospitality house and gave them to bell services to hold. We didn't trust leaving them to be picked up. So we walked them. It was awful. I understand what we COULD have done, but we walked them anyway. I don't like leaving things to chance. When we got to bell services, the front desk told us what building our room would be in, and it was on opposite end if resort. We were told it would be ready soon, so we hung at resort. It wasn't ready soon. We waited hours. Should've known better and assumed they were exaggerating.

OP asked for opinions, and I gave mine. We hated it and would spend the extra points in the future to stay put.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter