• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strollers, stamina, and GAC questions

triplefigs

<marquee><font color=009933>Triple Chick</marquee>
2 of my triplets have disabilities. My DD has hypotonic CP and Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy in her right ankle. She developed RSD after breaking the growth plate last Spring. She is very floppy in her legs, falls a lot, etc. And if she's on her feet for a long time, her ankle locks up and is EXTREMELY painful. She cannot walk long distances or stand for long periods of time.

One of my DS has CP and has stamina issues. He also has ADHD, many medical issues that require lots of meds and daily shots, PVL, and SID. He is doing AWESOME in school this year in a regular classroom and is thriving. I'm praying this trip is going to be so wonderful for them all.

The kids Physical Therapist talked to me after their session today. She and our OT are very concerned about our trip to WDW next month and the kids stamina levels, sensory levels, meltdowns in large crowds. I explained to her about the GAC and that we'd be getting one on our first day. We also are planning to use the FastPass, go early, take long breaks, go at an easy pace, etc.

Do you all think that our strollers (we just have regular umbrellas as the kids are very thin) would work or should we rent the Disney ones? Which ones would be better used as a wheelchair for lines? One stroller is a single, and the other is a double umbrella. I know I just need to take the kids with me and explain their needs, not the diagnoses. Is there anything I might not have thought of? Any tips for loud noises, dark places, etc? I'm just trying to think of anything that might bother the kids or set them up for a problem/failure. I really want this to be a low-stress, high-fun trip!

Thanks for any tips. Can't believe we're finally getting close!

triplefigs said:
2 of my triplets have disabilities. My DD has hypotonic CP and Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy in her right ankle. She developed RSD after breaking the growth plate last Spring. She is very floppy in her legs, falls a lot, etc. And if she's on her feet for a long time, her ankle locks up and is EXTREMELY painful. She cannot walk long distances or stand for long periods of time.

One of my DS has CP and has stamina issues. He also has ADHD, many medical issues that require lots of meds and daily shots, PVL, and SID. He is doing AWESOME in school this year in a regular classroom and is thriving. I'm praying this trip is going to be so wonderful for them all.

The kids Physical Therapist talked to me after their session today. She and our OT are very concerned about our trip to WDW next month and the kids stamina levels, sensory levels, meltdowns in large crowds. I explained to her about the GAC and that we'd be getting one on our first day. We also are planning to use the FastPass, go early, take long breaks, go at an easy pace, etc.

Do you all think that our strollers (we just have regular umbrellas as the kids are very thin) would work or should we rent the Disney ones? Which ones would be better used as a wheelchair for lines? One stroller is a single, and the other is a double umbrella. I know I just need to take the kids with me and explain their needs, not the diagnoses. Is there anything I might not have thought of? Any tips for loud noises, dark places, etc? I'm just trying to think of anything that might bother the kids or set them up for a problem/failure. I really want this to be a low-stress, high-fun trip!

Hi, Denise. I am so looking forward to meeting you and your family at WDW.

If anyone can answer your questions, Sue and her wonderful friends here may be able to answer your questions.

I just bought a wonderful book by Deb Wills and Ms.Koma called Passporter's Walt Disney World for your Special Needs.

I am still reading through it and she has done a wonderful job of writing her first book.

I believe I saw a photo of Sue in the peer group in the book too.

Sincerely, Ray :)

triplefigs said:
Any tips for loud noises, dark places, etc? I'm just trying to think of anything that might bother the kids or set them up for a problem/failure. I really want this to be a low-stress, high-fun trip!

I think that even though Epcot Illuminations' fireworks are beautiful, they have some extremely powerful explosions for little ones that may not be able to tolerate loud noises. You can also feel the heat from the fire balls.

Maybe you could visit the Boardwalk area, outside Epcot's International Gateway entrance. There is a bridge over the canal between the Boardwalk lake and Epcot lake that many people watch the Illuminations.

Most of the Illuminations show is near the lake surface, and that is difficult to see from this bridge that connects to the Boardwalk, but maybe far enough away to explain what will happen and sensitize them to the fireworks.

Earplugs may be option for loud noises, too.

You can also see Magic Kingdom Wishes fireworks from a distance, too from many of the resorts around the lake.

Maybe after they hear and see the fireworks from a distance and your explanations of what is happening, then you could see them in the parks.

And they usually turn the lights out before the fireworks, too, but you can still see. Maybe you could plan to explain these different things so that they will be prepared and understand what is going to happen.

Thanks, Ray. I may have to get that book. I appreciate the tips on Illuminations too. I think the ear plugs are a great idea. Loud noises really bother them, especially Rees. Can't wait to meet you!

triplefigs said:
Thanks, Ray. I may have to get that book. I appreciate the tips on Illuminations too. I think the ear plugs are a great idea. Loud noises really bother them, especially Rees. Can't wait to meet you!

You're welcome. Loud noises used to bother me as a child, too. But now I love fireworks.

I think amazon.com still has that free shipping for purchases over $25.00.

If you are going on a Disney cruise in the future, you will love the most comprehensive book, Passporter's Field Guide to Disney Cruise and Ports of Call.

And for fun with the kids, Dr. Steven Barrett's book on finding hidden mickeys at WDW called Hidden Mickey's Guide.

And one more just for WDW trivia, Lou's book called Disney World Trivia.

And all of the above authors will be at WDW Mousefest when you are down there.

You are right, Ray. I was one of the peer reviewers. Some reviewed only parts, but I read every page. As Eeyore would say "thanks for noticing me."

I think the book will be helpful to you because it does have information about each ride/attraction and noise/stimulation level.

I know in some of your other posts I've seen the age of your kids, but I can't remember right now. I don't know if they are tall enough to go on everything, but the rides with height restrictions also tend to be the ones that are more "adventurous" and have more scary elements.

Getting to the parks early helps a lot, so that is a good plan. Even during the busiest times (like Easter/Spring break), you can get on a lot of attractions without waiting at all. The earlier you go, the less people; so the less stimulation. My DD is not able to get up early (she's a young adult, just out of teenhood - they want to sleep until noon and stay up until midnight). I haven't been to the parks early with her, but my DH goes at least one morning on each trip with other members of our party. By 11 am, they have been on everything at Fantasyland, plus Splash Mountain (some more than once).
Depending on just when you are going next month, you may find that the parks are very quiet - we have been there in September and also in Feb when we have pictures without a soul on them. The waits for rides then were non-existant. One thing to remember though is that even if the waits are short, you usually have to cover the same distance to get to the boarding area for rides/attractions.

Here are some of the things I can see with the options you have for strollers.

Rent strollers for all 3:
The strollers would only be available once you get into the park and you have to turn them back in when leaving. So, they would have to walk or be carried to/from the park to the bus or parking lot tram, to/from the bus stop or car to your room. The distance would probably be too far for your kids with disabilities to walk.
This doesn't sound like a good option for you.
If you choose to do that, I'd still bring your strollers to Florida with you to use in the airport and at your resort.

Use your double and single umbrella strollers every day:
  • If you are riding the bus, the strollers will need to be folded. Are they easy to fold, fold compactly?
    How much assistance will your children need getting on the bus? Some buses have stairs to get in, some have a short sort of ramped area.
    I don't how many adults are in your party, but if it's only 2, that means one person needs to handle the strollers and one needs to be able to help all 3 kids.
  • If you plan to drive to the parks, there are trams that go from the regular parking area to the park entrance. Strollers need to be folded and held on the tram and you need to step up to the tram and sit on a bench seat.
    The handicapped parking area is not served by trams. You do need a valid, state issued handicapped parking permit to park there.
    Parking at MK involves going to TTC and taking the monorail or boat from there. So, we usually recommend using the bus to MK.
  • How wide is your double stroller? Standard width for wheelchair accessibility is 36 inches, so if it's less than that, it should not be a problem in lines or buildings.
  • Is the double easy to push fully loaded with 2 kids?
  • Is the double easy to push/stable with only one child?
  • How possesive are they of their "spot"? Can you switch off who rides where or will anyone be obsessing about who is in which spot?
  • Is sitting right next to someone else in the double stroller for long periods going to cause problems? (like "he's touching me", "she put her arm on my side", etc)

Some kids with ADHD or autism spectrum like the park strollers because they have a nice firm feel (plastic similar to Little Tikes toys/equipment). The solid sides also help cut down on stimulation. And, some kids who need a very unstimulating quiet place for a while even drape a thin blanket across the stroller for a "safe haven". Here's a link to the allearsnet.com page about strollers (with pictures).

One thing that may work for you would be to take the double stroller and rent a single stroller in the parks for the child with ADHD.
An advantage would be that you would only have one stroller to transport.
To go to/from parking or bus, your 2 children who have mobility challenges could ride the stroller and the 3rd child could walk.
In the parks, the child with ADHD would have his own "place". Your daughter and other son could share the double stroller (which means if they are fighting in the double stroller, you can make him get out and walk, if needed).
So, you would always have a place for everyone to ride if needed in the parks; the only time someone would have to walk would be when getting to and from the parks.

That's all I can think of for the stroller situation. I'll post more later about the other questions.

Sue,

thank you so much for all the details and info! WOW! I really appreciate it. DS with ADHD doesn't mind touching, sitting close, etc. I think we may bring in our own strollers and then rent if they are too tough to use. We'll need them for the airport also. We are staying at the GF and will use the monorail and boat. For AK and MGM we may just rent strollers to avoid having to load them on/off the bus.

All the other tips are very good too. We are really looking forward to our trip! If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Thanks!
Denise

triplefigs said:
We are staying at the GF and will use the monorail and boat. For AK and MGM we may just rent strollers to avoid having to load them on/off the bus.

All the other tips are very good too. We are really looking forward to our trip! If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Thanks!
Denise
For the monorail, you should be able to roll the strollers right on. They usually only make you fold them if the monorail is really busy. The double stoller will usually need to go thru the wider door of the wheelchair accesisble car to be rolled on (or you could fold it). There is a steep ramp to get up and down (high in the sky) from the monorail station to the ground level at MK. So, when getting on there, keep the kids in the stroller to go up and down the ramps.
MGM has a fairly short walk to get to where strollers are rented. AK seems like the buses are a long walk.

SueM in MN said:
For the monorail, you should be able to roll the strollers right on. They usually only make you fold them if the monorail is really busy. The double stoller will usually need to go thru the wider door of the wheelchair accesisble car to be rolled on (or you could fold it). There is a steep ramp to get up and down (high in the sky) from the monorail station to the ground level at MK. So, when getting on there, keep the kids in the stroller to go up and down the ramps.
MGM has a fairly short walk to get to where strollers are rented. AK seems like the buses are a long walk.

Thanks, Sue. May take our single to AK then. At least one could ride, DH could carry one, and the 3rd walk. If you have any other suggestions on things that might be useful for the GAC, would you PM me? I know you don't want it discussed here to avoid abuse. Main concerns I have are wait times/standing for long periods, meltdowns, quiet place to wait. Am I missing anything that might help the kids? Like I said we're going to use Fast Pass, go early in the am to avoid crowds, take breaks, etc. We are not doing a commando type vacation. In fact, we have 2 days with no plans in our 8 day trip for rest.

Thanks!
Denise

triplefigs said:
Thanks, Sue. May take our single to AK then. At least one could ride, DH could carry one, and the 3rd walk. If you have any other suggestions on things that might be useful for the GAC, would you PM me? I know you don't want it discussed here to avoid abuse. Main concerns I have are wait times/standing for long periods, meltdowns, quiet place to wait. Am I missing anything that might help the kids? Like I said we're going to use Fast Pass, go early in the am to avoid crowds, take breaks, etc. We are not doing a commando type vacation. In fact, we have 2 days with no plans in our 8 day trip for rest.

Thanks!
Denise
No. I think you pretty much thought of it all. I think you have explained your children's needs pretty well on this thread, so just do the same at WDW and I don't think you aill have a problem.
You probably want to ask to be able to bring strollers in line and have them treated as wheelchairs. You might only need one GAC (choose whoever has the most needs) if you are planning on only bringing a double stroller in line. If you are planning on 2 strollers in line, you will probably need 2 GACs (one for each child with special needs).

We have a special needs stroller and got the "stroller as a wheelchair" stamp on our GAC-

We found that the CM's make general assumptions about the child in the stroller and you have to advice them otherwise. With two adults and three kids you are possibly going to need additional aids to get all three boarded. Just make sure to speak up! We learned that the hard way when they asked us to park the stroller and then board the ride "over there". If Chris could walk, it would be easy but she can't so we always had to ask to get as close to we could to the ride vehicle. You may want to do the same-

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter