Strollers in lines, Toontown and...

ByTheHook

A Reformed Toad
Okay, so I need to verify a couple of things I've read here and there on the forum's boards:

1.) Are strollers really prohibited in all of the ride-lines (both FP ones and "standby" ones) at DL?

If so, why?

Is it very clear where to park strollers at each ride, then, if this policy really is in effect?

2.) Does Toontown really open 1 hour after the park's official opening time each day of the week?

Why (you'd think DL would want to start wearing down the little toddlers asap into the morning so they could all go back to rest in their hotels and leave the bigger kids/ lines alone for the rest of the late morning/ afternoon)?

3.) Any other tips/ secrets you know of for families w/ young (<4) kids that the guidebooks (like the Fodor's and the Unoffical ones) aren't telling us?

Thanks a bunch from our bunch! :banana: :banana: :banana: pirate:

ByTheHook said:
Okay, so I need to verify a couple of things I've read here and there on the forum's boards:

1.) Are strollers really prohibited in all of the ride-lines (both FP ones and "standby" ones) at DL?

Yes they are.

If so, why?

The lines are so narrow, you cannot fit them in the line with everyone else.

Is it very clear where to park strollers at each ride, then, if this policy really is in effect?

You cannot miss all of the strollers by each of the rides. Also CM will move the stroller around, so don't panic if you can't find yours right away.
2.) Does Toontown really open 1 hour after the park's official opening time each day of the week?

Yes

Why (you'd think DL would want to start wearing down the little toddlers asap into the morning so they could all go back to rest in their hotels and leave the bigger kids/ lines alone for the rest of the late morning/ afternoon)?

There really is not a lot for kids to do in Toontown IMO. We go there to see Mickey and that is about it. There is more to do in Fantasyland for them then Toontown.

3.) Any other tips/ secrets you know of for families w/ young (<4) kids that the guidebooks (like the Fodor's and the Unoffical ones) aren't telling us?

Don't stress about getting on certain rides. We let our boys pick the rides they want to go on and we follow their schedule and their lead. They know Disneyland so well now that they can tell us before we get there what they want to ride and when. If you worry about not seeing a character or riding a ride, you won't enjoy yourself. I found with young children is about watching them enjoy the magic. Then you have that magic too! :wizard:
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Not totally positive but I think the reason that toontown opens a hour after the rest of the park is so the characters like Mickey and Minnie can be at the park opening. Everytime I have been there Mickey and Minnie open the park and then sign autographs. Kids would be really upset if they went to Mickey's or Minnie's house and they where not there.

Kuusimo answered 1 and 2, so I am trying to think of a few tips we have learned in our 3 travels with the kiddies:

Baby swap so you get to go on the big kid rides

If your kiddies are not afraid of the characters - it can be fun to get autographs

Not sure when you are going - if it is during a holiday, the cookie decorating is a blast, and a great break for the kiddies

Don't do scary rides first - or you will have to pry the kiddies off your leg to go on every ride

If going to DCA stop at bug's land - more kiddie rides with a bug theme

Use fastpass on the rides you can

Take lots of pictures

Avoid the shops when you first get there - or you will buying stuff the whole time. Depending on your budget and desires, it may be advisable to bring hat, jacket, etc. vs having to buy a pricey one at the park, along with anything else kiddies want...

Start at Fantasyland first and get to the park at before it opens

I am sure there are more, but brain is not functioning this late - hopefully some of these help!!!

autumnbaby9 said:
Not totally positive but I think the reason that toontown opens a hour after the rest of the park is so the characters like Mickey and Minnie can be at the park opening. Everytime I have been there Mickey and Minnie open the park and then sign autographs. Kids would be really upset if they went to Mickey's or Minnie's house and they where not there.

Mickey hasn't opened the park all summer - the DL band and the Alice gang have

Kuusimo pretty much answered your ?'s. But about the CM's moving the strollers around here's a funny story. Last time we went to DL was almost 2 years ago in Dec. It was me, dh, dd3, my sister, and my parents and of course, it was very busy. We were in fantasyland and had parked the stroller with all the others and got in line. As we're waiting in line my mom screams out "someone's stealing our stroller!!!". Everyone in line looks over and it was the CM moving them. I was sooo embarassed. My mom does silly things like that all the time so we all laughed at her and the man behind us said, "um, they're just moving the strollers to make more room".

Also, use the babyswap thing. I haven't used it yet since last time we went with dd3 I was pregnant so I didn't go on any big rides anyway but we'll be there in a little more than a week with dd now almost 5 and dd18months and we'll definitely be using babyswap!

ByTheHook said:

:sad: I can't believe you didn't trust me when I told you this on your Fastpasses/Parent-swap thread. I'm soooooo hurt! :sad:

Oh alright, I'll let you off the hook. I'm just foolin' with ya! :rotfl:

ByTheHook said:

Last year we missed the stroller parking for small world holiday, since the line was crazy long, and the parade was going by, so we just kept DS in during the line, and I ended up folding the umbrella stroller and taking it with me through the ride. Not a pleasant experience!
Our favorite "tricks"
Definately hit Bugs Land!

DH and I always get a bucket of popcorn while we do a kidswap. While they sit and eat the popcorn, they don't even notice we are just sitting there. And get the sovineer bucket- it can strap right on the stroller handles!

The narrow lines are not the only problem with strollers in lines. There would be no place to park the strollers while you ride and would take forever to board if everyone was trying to fold strollers(not to mention the lack of room for even folded strollers).

I for one am glad strollers are not allowed. The lines are too narrow, and if everyone had to get their kids out of the strollers, go park them, and THEN get on the ride, it would hold up the line considerably! Lines as it is can be bad enough without that! Not to mention there is NO where to park strollers once you get to the front of the line. Like Peter Pan, you just get on the flying ships, there is no where to walk to the side to park a stroller. So I for one am thrilled with that rule. I started taking my son when he was a year old, we parked our rented stroller on the side of the rides and either held him or he walked in the line. There are lots of places that they lean on the railings or sit down even. It really wasn't that big of a deal. Slings as someone else mentioned is a great idea, espeically if you have more then one little ones.

You know- I take back about all the rides. You can bring your stoller on the train and monorail. You do need to fold it up though- California law. Knowing this ahead of time helps a lot. We have it down to a science now when we need to ride the train. Otherwise, they do have parking outside the train stations, you just need to ride it the entire way around.

You can't take a stroller in the ride line at WDW either.

disney-super-mom said:
:sad: I can't believe you didn't trust me when I told you this on your Fastpasses/Parent-swap thread. I'm soooooo hurt! :sad:

Oh alright, I'll let you off the hook. I'm just foolin' with ya! :rotfl:

I trusted you-- just wanted to hear about other experiences, too.

And hey, I like being "on the hook!":
:goodvibes

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter