Stroller Dilemma

Scottish_Maleficent

DIS Veteran
Hi all

I have a dilemma over strollers for our next trip (June 2003) and I was hoping you guys could tll me what you think.

I have 2 DS's, who at time of travel will be 3 years 11 months and
4 years 10 months.
We have previosly been to WDW with them at age 1 and almost 2 and again this year when they were 2 1/2 and 3 1/2.
When we went in February this year we did noit use our own strollers while in the park, but rented a double stroller every day we were at the parks.
We are currently trying to decide what will be the best for next year and I have drawn up a list of things to consider.

Firstly it will be end of June and beginning of July, so parks will be extremely busy, so there is no guarantee of a stroller (esp a double one) being available when we arrive in any park.
Secondly they are expensive at $15 per day for say maybe up to 12 days in parks (including Universal etc), so that works out at $180.
Thirdly I thought about having to carry them from the parks to the car if they are asleep when leaving the park, and in some cases this might be a long way ie MK or US, we may also be carrying bags etc. However it would mean we could jump on the trams in the parking lots without having to worry about folding strollers.
Another consideration is the fact we don't actually own a double stroller, our DS's are very rarely in a stroller at home, but I know we'll definitely need on for the parks. So we would have to buy one. (but it would cost $180 to rent anyway...so I wouldn't mind)
Lastly, is there a double stroller which would accomodate a 4 and almost 5 year old.....maybe 45 lbs each.

What do you think would be the best option.........anyone had experience of children of similar age with strollers??
All info much appreceiated.

:tongue: :sunny: :sunny:

Hi! I am buying an inexpensive double umbrella stroller for our next trip in Jan. They are $59.99 at Toys/Babies R us. I don't know if they are any weight restrictions or how heavy your kids are, but I put both of my kids (DS4 and DD1) in it in the store and walked around with them for several minutes and it seemed very easy to maneuver, etc. The only drawback I see to it is that are no baskets or any kind of storage space on it. Another option might be the Maclaren double umbrella stroller, which has baskets but is much more expesive. I can't remember how much it is, but they probably have it at Babies R Us, too. I would just go there if you have one in your area and "test drive" some with your kids.

Hi, When we to Dw last August we had our 2 DGS ages 3 1/2 and 7. I purchased a double stroller at a local childrens re-sale shoppe. It was well worth it. I took them with me to try it out. We were at BWV and we were able to walk to MGM and EPCOT. It was great because after a long day they enjoyed the the ride and fell asleep. It was also nice to have someplace to put bags or extra water bottles. When we came home I took it back and resold it. Also you do not have to wait in line to rent or return the stroller at DW. What ever you decide to do, take a scarf for a big luggage tag to put on it. It makes it easier to find in the sea of strollers that are lined up at some of the rides and shows Have fun! Patsy.:D

Personally I rent, my girls are 18mos apart and we stopped bringing a double when they were about 3 & 4, this has worked best for us. I pack a light backpack and don't like to worry about lugging stuff on/off the tram, bus, monorail. I have never had a problem getting a rental (YMMV) and on the last trip my girls were 5&6 and we didn't need one at all for MK and MGM, used a single for AK and a double for Epcot - esp at night. Its soooo nice at MK without a stroller!!!

You could also check the baby rental places in Orlando, a quick search pulls up a few companies. You could rent a double side by side or front/back or maybe a sit n stand would work for you? They will deliver and pick up directly to your resort. This is cheaper than the park rental, the strollers are nicer and you would have them outside the parks.

Its hard to find a double that suits older/larger children for a reasonable price, esp if you want to fold for tram. Good luck and have a great trip.

TJ

Found the rental company my sil used. A Baby's Best Friend, www.abbf.com - check the website for prices with pictures and descriptions.

TJ

We are going down in a few weeks and my kids are 1, 3 , & 5. Well the baby will have his stroller for the airport, but I didn't know what to do about the girls, so I ordered a Kolcraft umbrella double stroller on line for $54.00 and am having it shipped directly to the hotel. I figure we will be threre for ten days so this was my best option.

We are renting a stroller from A baby's best Friend (www.abbf.com) Trying out the sit and stand stroller for the first time...... We are also lugging our large double stroller with us, as we find it handy for airports! LOL

I will post and let ya'll know what I think of the sit and stand.... I love this chance to give it a whirl before buying one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter