Stroller abuse

but there are waaaaay too many people who do use them like a shopping cart. Using a HUGE stroller to carry half of your possessions and a child who passed out hours ago, while blocking other patrons, is just something that I don't comprehend. (Plenty of three year olds go to Disney and DON'T rent strollers every single time. SURELY you don't seriously think that visiting Disney ALWAYS requires a stroller?) Where else do you see humongous strollers? Lots of other recreational facilities have small strollers available, which serve the purpose of giving little legs a rest, but can't be abused as wagons and beds. Again, if your child does not have the stamina to last more than a couple of hours then perhaps your trip should be delayed. Spending $4000 for a vacation (which involves walking 8-10 miles a day???!!! If you are realistic with that figure no wonder the kids can't keep up, slow down!) with an irritable, exhausted child doesn't seem a great idea. And I'm not even going to address banning tall people ???

We might also delay visits to Sea World, Six Flags, the zoo, our State Fair, not to mention our local shopping mall (which is a good 3-mile trek if you walk the whole mall!). But then, I'm from Texas and we just do things BIG down here. We are used to walking long distances through malls and regional entertainment venues and dealing with stroller issues just about everywhere we go (including Super Walmart). Then again, we also drive those huge SUV's that look like moving vans. We do our best (at least most of us) to maneuver our strollers (and SUV's) in a courteous manner. I have NEVER run anyone over with a stroller (or my SUV)and always try to make sure I don't block aisles, etc. And if my child wants to take a nap in his stroller for an hour or two, I see nothing wrong with DH & I being able to enjoy some shopping or a nice lunch in the meantime. Regardless of whether someone is using a stroller or not, and whether the child is actually IN the stroller, we should all try to be courteous to those around us and to remeber that WDW is there for EVERYONE to enjoy. If we can just keep that in mind, we will all have a wonderful time. :p

Yes, I honestly think EVERY trip I make to WDW with a small child absolutely requires a stroller. Banning them is plain ludicrous. Disney is a family vacation spot that particularly attracts and caters to kids. Where you have kids, you have strollers. Where ever you have masses of people, some will be rude. Some will run you over or push or make judgements about what your family should be doing. Don't tell me how to vacation with my kids, and I won't run you over with my ECV or double stroller.

This whole thing makes me think of the woman in the grocery store yesterday who kept blocking the aisle with her cart. I had to wait for her 2-3 times. If some people can't learn to keep their cart to one side of the aisle or the other as they peruse the shelves, perhaps we should ban those too and just let people buy what they can carry in one trip.

Seriously though, of course WDW is always going to rent strollers and whoever deems them worth the money is going to rent them and use them as they see fit. We only rent at Epcot, as we do not find them worth it in the other parks.

Some people are just going to be inconsiderate no matter where they are or what they are doing.

Well, I totally agree with the OP about rude stroller users. I have had my daughter knocked down by someone pushing a stroller. That said, i also agree that there is no way I would go to WDW without a stroller. For the poster who thinks we should wait until our kids can make it a full day at the parks, my kids are six years apart form youngest to oldest. That means I would be enduring a twleve year stretch without Disney!!!:eek: I have to say--that is NOT going to happen.

Two more things--those people would have plowed right into my DD even if they didn't have a stroller and as a homeschooler, I have to second or third or whatever, that I am my kids best teacher!:)

I think that there are bad stroller pushers and bad walkers. The bad stroller walkers pay no attention to where they are going and the bad walkers just stop dead in their tracks or walk right in front of the strollers(and ecv's) so it pretty much goes both ways.

Bottem line is that everyone needs to pay attention to where they are going.

Yeah, that was Walt's goal in life to create a park for only children who are able to walk the whole thing. Wasn't Disney created for faimilies? Last time I check, families come in all shapes sizes and ages.

The probelem isn't strollers, it is inconsiderate people. And that goes for anywhere you go. Any park, mall, shopping center etc.

Banning strollers or limiting strollers would cause Disney to close their doors. How many people would vacation at a place they cannot bring the neccesary things for their children. How is a 1 or 2 year old going to walk thru the park and how many parents backs would last carrying their child.

I just don't understand why people don't treat others as they would want to be treated? I don't want somone ramming their stroller into me as i would not ram mine into someone else.

There are many inconsiderate people that don't have strollers that stand right in the middle of traffic wandering around and have no idea what they are doing and I can't get around them.

It is not strollers, there are just inconsiderate people out there.

We could do Disney with my son without a stroller. He could walk 8 -10 miles a day at 3 years old.

My daughter is another story. Not a walker. Be careful about generalizing about children - not all are like yours (or the ones you've heard about who do just fine without strollers, potty train by 18 months and sleep every night, all night long in their own beds from the night they got home from the hospital)

Both hate umbrella strollers. They just don't fit in them well - normal sized kids, but not comfortable. We actually really like the Disney rentals (except the umbrella kind at MGM).

But I think people have hit the nail on the head. It works both ways. People with strollers need to be considerate and aware (sometimes difficult when there is so much to look at) to avoid running anyone over. And walkers (even walkers pushing strollers) need to be considerate and aware as well (also difficult with so much to look at) - people often stop right in front of the stroller - the double stroller with two children in it doesn't stop on a dime. And people with strollers do have to realize that leaving the park at closing with a double stroller you are taking back to the hotel with you is going to take time. You can only fit so many on a bus, and the stroller takes up a lot of room. Because we didn't want the hassle of two small kids and crushing crowds, we don't stay until park close, try and avoid the parade routes - and are pretty willing to abandon our Disney rental (grab the receipt and pick up a new one) in a crowd and just carry the kids. Likewise, people should be considerate and realize that even at 3:00 in the afternoon in a hotel, someone may be sleeping and running screaming through the halls is never well mannered.

(How about stroller bumpers? Big foam bumpers on the edge of the stroller)

Originally posted by Poohbearmom
We might also delay visits to Sea World, Six Flags, the zoo, our State Fair, not to mention our local shopping mall (which is a good 3-mile trek if you walk the whole mall!). But then, I'm from Texas and we just do things BIG down here. We are used to walking long distances through malls and regional entertainment venues and dealing with stroller issues just about everywhere we go (including Super Walmart). Then again, we also drive those huge SUV's that look like moving vans. We do our best (at least most of us) to maneuver our strollers (and SUV's) in a courteous manner. I have NEVER run anyone over with a stroller (or my SUV)and always try to make sure I don't block aisles, etc. And if my child wants to take a nap in his stroller for an hour or two, I see nothing wrong with DH & I being able to enjoy some shopping or a nice lunch in the meantime. Regardless of whether someone is using a stroller or not, and whether the child is actually IN the stroller, we should all try to be courteous to those around us and to remeber that WDW is there for EVERYONE to enjoy. If we can just keep that in mind, we will all have a wonderful time. :p

I need to visit Texas :), sounds as though folks there have BIG hearts as well......

I dont have kids, but there is no way they could ban strollers, or even certain kinds. I know if they did this I wouldnt bring my small child to Disney. I think people in general just have to be more consderate...from ramming people with strollers, to walking in front of people who are takig pictures. And I have to say this.....before I worked in Disney I experienced getting my heel rammed with a stroller....and I thought..."hey if i work there, and i am in costume thay wont ram into me" boy was i ever wrong! There are always some people who do it intentionally, but I think a lot of people end up doing it as someone crosses their path unexpectedly.

Disney is for kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they didn't belong in strollers there they would NOT rent them out. They are there like it or not just watch where YOU are going. btw sharper we use the stroller so the child will not get tired and cranky and we can all enjoy our $5,000 trip to Disney. :D

this is Disney - so in addition to being considerate -

be forgiving...

come on - which one of us had NEVER gotten taken in by watching something cool and not seen where they were walking?

or distracted and turned away at the wrong moment and crossed paths with someone

or simply unable to watch whats going on around them in all directions because they were doing a headcount of their kids?

an "oooops sorry" - with a sheepish grin - usually brings out a "hey its ok" from me....

lisadam, you are certainly right. I think the majority of incidents involving strollers is merely due to being caught up in the Disney moment. While I admit there are many inconsiderate people who misuse strollers, my dd was nearly plowed down by a manaical father running behind a stroller who purposely sped up when he saw her cross his path!:eek: , I think most people aren't intentionally trying to run you over.

You'll encounter rude people whether they are using a stoller or walking, I've been pushed , stepped on and cut-off by walkers and except for the incident with my dd, never with a stroller. When I used a stroller, I was always extra cautious around people for my child's safety as well as others.

To say strollers shouldn't be allowed in WDW is just unrealistic- I once was approached by a stranger in a mall when my ds was still in a stroller, who informed me that my stroller was in her way(I was in a depatment store Christmas shopping-standing in line) she told me that I had no right to be there with a stroller! What??:confused: Last time I looked they were both a public place, don't we all pay to be there? What would possess anyone to feel they were more entitled than anyone else? Unreal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter