Stinky employee update!

Disney Dee

DIS Veteran
Well I had to tell her today. I was hoping that the problem had solved itself when my boss asked me to talk to her afew weeks ago. I told him I didn't want to but that I would, but not until the following monday. (didn't want to ruin her weekend)She came to work that monday with nice clean hair and no body smell, I was hoping it would continue especially since we had a meeting last week week and the boss announced anyone who had offensive body or extreme bad breathe would be sent home to bathe because the weather was getting warmer, and no one should have to be bothered by someone elses poor hygene. but she really smelled bad today, and some of the co workers who work in her area were saying things out loud like "ewww whats that smell??" They were saying things like that VERY loudly, so my boss asked me to say something to her.

I dreaded it like crazy! I am not a mean person, I can't hurt someone deliberately, but I knew she would rather hear it from me, another female, then have the boss tell her. I explained to her that some of her co workers were concerned that her deodrant wasn't working well, and that I wanted to tell her myself so the boss wouldn't embarress her and send her home to wash. She stared at me and asked me if she was the one they were talking about earlier. I told her I knew nothing about that, but someone had complained, and it had to be addressed. I told her I cared, and thought it was better I told her. She said "well someone doesn't like me I guess, thanks for the heads up!" I really think she thinks someone was just being mean and it wasn't true! Well, I wasn't going to say another thing! I told her, and if she doesn't heed what I said, then the female lead, or the boss himself can take it from here! I told her after lunch, and knowing I had to tell her ruined my appitite and shook me up for the rest of the day! The is just no easy way to tell someone what I told her!

It sounds like you handled it very well. I hope she listens to you and bathes and applies deodorant often now.

Poor you for having to do that. I can't believe your boss would make you do that but at least she heard from a friend. I hope she takes the warning a bathes. I can't imagine someone not doing that daily. Well I hope everything goes well.

Well it is out of your hands now. I guess next time they will be sending her home?!

I do believe I handled it as well as I possibly could. And yes, she will get sent home if she has to be told again. I know I would only have to be told once! Then again, I wouldn't have to be told at all:eek: .

What a tough thing to do! WOW!

I agree, you handled it very well.

tamie

Can you leave nice notes for her someplace private? Make it from an anonymous "little bird" or something- telling her about her poor hygiene and giving suggestions in a nice way. Then, if she "cleans up her act" so to speak, leave a note noticing how pretty she is/wonderful it is to work with......a little praise for improvement might do her self esteem a world of good. She probably is both not aware and not feeling too good about herself. Making her feel better just might be the turning point- remember the confidence Tula got in My Big Fat Greek Wedding!!!

Give her a gift bag with perfume,deodorant,shampoo and soap in it.

I thought about the gift bag, but wasn't real sure she would have known it was because she needed it, or if i was just being nice. I often bake things and have given small gifts to co workers at work. I felt that the direct approach (I did tell her it was from the boss) was the best way. BTW, my SO and I just went out to kmarts to get a coffee grinder, we spied said co worker in the the soap aisle, I am sure she saw us, but avoided us both. I feel bad, she always has gone out of her way to talk to my SO (who use to work with us) and when my Mom died, she came to the memorial service. Darn it, why I am feeling so guilty?

I think you did the right thing and handled it nicely. Rather than being shaken by the experience you should be proud:sunny:
I think your boss owes you one:D

we had the same problem at work a couple of weeks ago. She reeked. But it was more than BO. We are not sure if she had something seriously wrong with her or what but she was fired. It was not just because of that, she and fellow employees had other issues but I'm sure that was what sent it over the top.

Your right, the warm weather was not helping the situation at all.

I really think you did her a favor by taking her aside. We had the same reaction at work too. Fellow employees were complaining of the smell before they realized where it was coming from.

One girl passed her in the hall and it was so bad, she had to leave the building because her lunch was coming back up. I honestly don't understand how people can't smell that in themselves.

I hope your fellow worker takes the hint and doesn't hold a grudge.

denise

Oh my! Good for you for saying something, it obviously needed to be done. I had a guy in one of my classes a long time ago who had the same sort of problem. He had just moved to the US and wasn't too great with English yet and I felt so bad what with the language barrier and everything, finally one day I went to my class reaallllly early and left him some deoderant and cologne. I must say he did use it, and things got better after that, I think maybe he just didn't realize how we do things here. I don't understand how your coworker could not get it though. ALthough, maybe it is kind of like how a smoker walks into the room and since they were around the cigarette smell the whole time they don't really notice it whereas everyone else notices how strong it is of a smell. Well, hopefully tomorrow will be better and she will smell like that new soap we all hope she bought :)

Dee -- it sounds like you handled it well. I'm sure it was upsetting to have to be the one to deal with it though.

I agree that it sounds like you handled it very well. I would be more embarrassed being left an anonymous note/soap/anti-perspirant than being told straight out, I think. That took a lot of guts for you to have that talk.

I commend you on doing what you did. What an awkward position to be in. Sounds like you did a good job with a tough situation!

Years ago, a co-worker of mine had a problem with odor. He would come to work in the morning okay but as the day went on, he started to smell - stronger and stronger. One day, another co-worker left him a bar of soap in his top desk drawer (really he needed a roll of deodorant, not soap). Instead of just taking the soap out of his desk and moving on (as I would have because I would have been very embarrassed), this co-worker walked around, with the bar of soap, to everyone of us in the area. We were all put on the spot with his question of "did you leave this for me". I don't think he ever understood the meaning. And, he never got the hint, either.:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter