Still the Happiest Place?

ByTheHook

A Reformed Toad
I've noticed on some of the threads I've read about strollers, toddler tantrums, etc. that there seems to be some tension between families w/ young kids and adults (some w/ older kids, some just alone or with other adults) at DL.

From what any of you have noticed lately, is there some kind of subtle feud evident between these groups at DL? Are there some kind of unwritten expectations each "side" has (e.g. "No strollers should be near any food line I"M standing in!," "Adults have no right to leer at my kid if he/ she cries in line," etc.)?

Thanks for any observations-- would just like to know what kind of "den" we might be walking into when we finally get there (but we're hoping people remember that Walt had kind of a universal acceptance/ tolerance/ co-existence in mind when he thought about who'd come to visit DL).

pirate: :rolleyes:

I have not noticed any problems - but I guess I would be on the side of adults with small children that could cry...if people have been throwing daggers at least we weren't actually hit with them!!! I have definitely sensed the tension on the board however - it could be interesting to see the various opinions!!

I have also been noticing this. I went to DL as a child or adolescent & didn't really see it as an adult until 4 yrs ago...and then b/c I was THERE I had pixie dust in my eyes & I'm not sure I saw it realistically or if I was just naive.

I read about screaming kids or rude CM's & wonder if it's the people or the park that has the prob.

Personally, I didn't see a problem 4 yrs ago. But b/c this is my favorite place in the WORLD..... I truly hope it keeps it's Happiest Place on Earth feel to it. Our society my tend to be cutthroat, but I hope we can keep it together when playing in DL.

I don't know about an actual feud .... but when we mix misunderstood CMs & parents of cranky children .... it can't be a happy outcome.

I don't think there is any new or real problem to speak of. Yes, people will have some experiences that are less than stellar and may post about them. But in my many trips to DL and WDW I have never had a problem with strollers, ECCV's, rude cm's, bad food or any of the other things that get mentioned. Maybe I had a dry burger or got my toe pinched by a stroller once in awhile but the overall experience of being at the Happiest Place on Earth is always so incredible, with so many magical moments (my own and my observations of other people's) that any bad little tidbits here or there soon just fade away. I know they exist and happen but I still think overall people at Disney, both the guests and the people that work there absorb some of that pixie dust and pay it forward! And my family members that have gone with us have remarked that no wonder we go to DL or WDW each vacation, everybody is always so nice. I think you'll have a great trip!

Oh and for what its worth, threads with a negative tone seem to generate the most hoopla and responses. Its just human nature. Even the disboards gets PMS sometimes!

We just got back, and to tell you the truth I was a little nervous about how the CM's were going to be because of the comments on this board......but we had the most wonderful time ever. All of the CM's that we ran into were so kind and helpful and willing to do whatever they could to help us. When we boarded the Steamboat we asked if my son could "drive" the boat at the CM that helped was so great. He really went out of his way to make is a spectacular adventure for all 5 of my kids and for me and my hubby also. I never had any trouble with any of the people there either. Everyone was very kind and patient.

About 95% of the time I am Disneyland I am in LALA Land. I have learned to tune out the crying kids and such. I am very courteous when it comes to other people when I am there. All the CM's I have encountered have been more than nice when I go.
Sometimes people just see the negative and let the negative outweigh the positive stuff that happens or that they see.

ByTheHook said:
I've noticed on some of the threads I've read about strollers, toddler tantrums, etc. that there seems to be some tension between families w/ young kids and adults (some w/ older kids, some just alone or with other adults) at DL.

From what any of you have noticed lately, is there some kind of subtle feud evident between these groups at DL? Are there some kind of unwritten expectations each "side" has (e.g. "No strollers should be near any food line I"M standing in!," "Adults have no right to leer at my kid if he/ she cries in line," etc.)?

Thanks for any observations-- would just like to know what kind of "den" we might be walking into when we finally get there (but we're hoping people remember that Walt had kind of a universal acceptance/ tolerance/ co-existence in mind when he thought about who'd come to visit DL).

pirate: :rolleyes:

Don't mistake lively discussion for feuding. People like to engage in discussions where opinions vary greatly - it is a discsuisson that's all. My opinions have been changed by some of these discussions as I'm sure has happened with others. Remember we are reading anonnymous posts and they sometimes seem harsh because we don't see or hear the person behind the words. For the most part we all have the same motive when we are at DL - fun fun fun!

And BTW - I went twice in the past two weeks and didn't get hit by a stroller once; didn't see one crying child; didn't see anyone attack anyone else; and saw people being polite to one another making sure they weren't blocking someone else's view during the fireworks - I even saw strangers chit chatting with each other and laughing together as they waited in lines and for fireworks oh - and this is a good one - someone apologized to me when I asked if a place was being saved (sorry but yes). :cheer2:

and the CMs were all very knowledgable, friendly, and polite :cool1:

I think people always have certain expectations of a vacation, and aren't able to just go with the flow. We have been to DL twice, and while I am a stroller pusing mom, I think it all depends on what you expect. Myself, I find the teens the most annoying, but I suspect when my kid is a teen they won't seem so bad. :rotfl: :cheer2:

abby said:
I Myself, I find the teens the most annoying, but I suspect when my kid is a teen they won't seem so bad. :rotfl: :cheer2:

Then you'll be wishing for babies again and the seemingly simple life of a toddler or school age child. ;)

Sometimes I think we put too much pressure on this being" the best vacation ever" that we have too high expectations.People are people and kids are just kids.
When I see Parents getting mad at their kids I just laugh because I know my turn is coming.We all get tired and cranky.When some kids get crazy out of control we need to remember not to judge.These kids might look normal ,but they might have a mental disability we don't know about.
But there are people who just have no manners.Don't get mad at them, just show them by example how to do it right. :teeth:
BTW ,I met a really nice family I probably would not be friends with in the "real world".We were waiting in line for 30 minutes for a churro which could have sent anyone into a meltdown-waiting and waiting and waiting.We were talking about how fathers make their kids crazy wild and then tell them to calm down.Men are so universal, no matter how or where they were raised. :rotfl:
What's up with that?lol.

I've seen yelling matches, Kids balling their eyes out as their moms pulled on them thru a crowd like a rag doll. I've seen couple go at it and the female stand there crying while the man walked off. And I've seen countless kids get spanked for whatever reason. SInce I myself have a child I can understand if they get out of line and act up then if the parent chooses to swat the kid that's their business not mine. I have seen so many people make mean comments at the parents or kids. It's ridiculous. And I do think that people hold these trips on a pedastool and if any speedbump occurs to upset their day they go crazy!!!! I know cause my parents were the same way. So I've always been layed back, and whatever happens....happens at least we're in disneyland. If everyone else wants to fight and yell that's cool with us, but I'm not gonna lie we've pulled up a bench and watched. HAHAHA Literally for like a good 15 minutes.

I've never had a bad experience with a CM. As for the crying children, I'm always sympathize with the parent trying to console the child. I remember what it was like with small children.

I know some people need to vent about their bad experience and posting a thread is just their way of therapy. Of course, people have their difference of opinions. Generally, I think most posters on this forum are polite. Believe me, I seen posters on Flyertalk (American Airlines) really go at it and bash each other; of course a moderator steps in and tells everyone to cool it and stick to the OP topic.

Oh wait I did forget about one incident. I hope you all agree with me or at least some of you. We just recently in June got back from a 14 day trip to WDW in Florida. I did lose it on a parent in Mickey Philharmagic. If some of you have been there you will know what I'm talking about. We were in the room they line you up in before you go into the theater. This mom and Dad were yelling at their daughter who was like 9 years old in the line telling her to snap out of it, do you know where we are? I can't believe you are doing this!!! By now we are all looking and the girl was crying and said to her mom "Let me out I'm gonna go" and her mom said no your gonna stand here knock it off. ANd her kid was pushing to get past her to get outside and her mom was holding her arm to make her stay and the girl just opened her mouth and puked everywhere like 3 or 4 times. It was so gross. I looked at her mom and said a ton of choice words I told her how gross and stupid she was, what the hell was wrong you there's a bunch of kids in here who don't want your kids sickness. Oh you name it I told her. That's the only upset I've had that involved me.

Thanks, everybody. It's good to hear that the sometimes-feuding posts are just that-- words (vening) after the fact. I'm hoping everybody there will be cool about us and the young'uns. :goodvibes

ByTheHook said:
Thanks, everybody. It's good to hear that the sometimes-feuding posts are just that-- words (vening) after the fact. I'm hoping everybody there will be cool about us and the young'uns. :goodvibes

OMG I hope you are not worried about how a family taking children to the park will be treated? DL is a FAMILY park and children are welcome.

Honestly most of the people we see there either have kids or are fine with them. People keep trying to chat with ours, but he's shy aparently ahaha. Even during my horrible Tea Cup incident on Tuesday I didn't see people glaring at me, just trying to get around us lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter