Sternal Wires and Airport Security Question

LuLuO

<font color=darkblue>I am against mandatory fun<br
Will the sternal wires used to close my chest after open heart surgery set off the sensors at the airport? Do I need to carry a card or something or is that not necessary any more? It's pretty obvious from my scar what I had done, but I want to be prepared when I go to the airport.

How big are the wires? I've never had my belt set the machine off. A card will do you no good. They don't pay attention to them as they would be easily faked. Have you check the tsa.gov site yet?

How big are the wires? I've never had my belt set the machine off. A card will do you no good. They don't pay attention to them as they would be easily faked. Have you check the tsa.gov site yet?

I'm not sure how big they are. They're inside my chest around the bone. They used them to close my chest up. But maybe if your belt doesn't set off the alarm then the wires won't either. I guess I'll find out. :) I tried searching on the tsa site but couldn't find anything. You're right about cards being faked. I guess worst case is that I'd get pulled aside for extra screening.

Not sure about your specific question but my husband has had problems with the new full body scans and his hernia patch. He had hernia surgery about 12 years ago with what was then a ground breaking metal/mesh patch. Every time he gets sent through the full body scans the TSA agents *insist* that he has something in his pants near his private area -- which he does not. The TSA has given him a full pat down and search in his private area.

Not sure about your specific question but my husband has had problems with the new full body scans and his hernia patch. He had hernia surgery about 12 years ago with what was then a ground breaking metal/mesh patch. Every time he gets sent through the full body scans the TSA agents *insist* that he has something in his pants near his private area -- which he does not. The TSA has given him a full pat down and search in his private area.

That is interesting because the full body scanner "x-rays" are supposed to bounce off the skin to detect concealed items under clothes. They are not supposed to penetrate into the body to detect implanted devices (yet).

That is interesting because the full body scanner "x-rays" are supposed to bounce off the skin to detect concealed items under clothes. They are not supposed to penetrate into the body to detect implanted devices (yet).

Don't know but this has happened to him multiple times at different airports and only when he goes through the full body scanners. :confused3.

My daughter was born with congential heart defects and has had 2 open heart surgeries. She has never had any issues whatsoever with the sternum wires setting off the detectors :thumbsup2. And she has flown 4 or 5 times since her last surgery. I think you will be fine. Enjoy your trip!

Let the agent know about the wires before you go through the machine. YOu might even show a rough drawing of a person's body to represent yourself and you drew in where the wires are.

You would have to be prepared to expose the area of skin including the scar so the agent can see that there are no outside wires.

after multiplt knee surguries with all kinds of screws, staples and what not in my knee they have set set anything off. I think you'll be fine

My daughter has metal plates and screws in her jaw and they have never set off anything. I also have a permanent wire in my toe and have not had any problem. These are so very tiny that it has never been a problem.

Thank you all very much for the input. Ancestry, thanks for the info. I don't know if the docs used tissue or the mesh patch on the hole in my heart or when they re-routed the pulmonary vein. I'll have to ask when I see the surgeon again next week. Since your husband has had trouble with the scanners I think that is something I need to know for certain.

Thanks again everyone!

I used to work for an orthopedic surgeon and I know a few years ago we used to make cards for folks with total joint replacements to show airport security, with their name, the doctor's signature, etc.

Total joints will set off the alarms.

But then about 5 years ago we heard that TSA would just tell people to put the card away, they didn't want to see it.

I guess they figure that anyone with a laser printer could just make their own card...

So no need for a card. But those wires are so small and deep within the tissue they won't set off the alarms. You should be fine.

Will the sternal wires used to close my chest after open heart surgery set off the sensors at the airport? Do I need to carry a card or something or is that not necessary any more? It's pretty obvious from my scar what I had done, but I want to be prepared when I go to the airport.

I've had the machine set off by both a small pair of stud earrings and a bracelet. This was in the walk thru scanner. The woman in front of me had it set off with a barrette. Given the stories of the previous posters, I think you should be fine.

I hope you have a magical trip. Sounds like you have been through a lot these past few yeas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter