Star Wars: The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

I'm in agreement with you 100%.

But there's room for some conversation.

I'm getting the vibe that the unwritten DIS rule is being triggered
Here.

If only I had a nickel...
What unwritten rule is that?

I'm all for conversation, seriously. I am in no way thinking my thoughts on the movie are the only valid ones.

I was also editing my previous post while you were responding, sorry about that

The unwritten rule that it's not just musings...and if it's not complimentary/happy towards Disney then nobody should tolerate it.

"Haters gonna hate"...in laymans terms.

The reality is that is proven probably most of the time is the "haters" love these things AT LEAST as much. We just look at it differently.

Look at what Umich and i have said back and forth...does it come off as hating Star Wars? (And I went to penn state, dammit...kumbaya)

I'll not tangent further. Enjoy the movie multiple times...I might be watching again at the exact same time...you never know :)

Last edited:
The unwritten rule that it's not just musings...and if it's not complimentary/happy towards Disney then nobody should tolerate it.
If you think that's where I'm going, there's some huge misunderstanding going on that I'd love to get cleared up. I've never had an issue criticizing Disney. I am definitely not that kind of poster :)

I have no idea where in any if my posts you are getting that I think you hate star wars, or hated the movie. I'm sorry you are thinking that. I certainly didn't mean to imply that st all, so if I did I apologize! I know all too well how critical we can be of something because we love it so much.

(P.s. we are! Fellow nittany lion here)

Ok...but you said "I just want to get excited for a movie!"

I mean...I'm sorry to draw an analogy - opinion again - but that sounds a tad like a similar kingdom/phylum/species as when somebody claims that their trip in 18 Months is affected if you point out MGM is in mothballs or frozen doesn't belong in Epcot.

It's just words and a different take.

Ok...but you said "I just want to get excited for a movie!"

I mean...I'm sorry to draw an analogy - opinion again - but that sounds a tad like a similar kingdom/phylum/species as when somebody claims that their trip in 18 Months is affected if you point out MGM is in mothballs or frozen doesn't belong in Epcot.

It's just words and a different take.

I did make an edit to that post to further clarify that.

It isn't that I just want to go enjoy a movie. I'm happy to analyze, talk about it, listen to different theories afterwards. During the movie, though, I am in the moment. Discussing/analyzing/etc afterwards doesn't change my initial in the moment feeling about the movie, no matter what direction that discussion takes. I separate the two. It may not make sense. ..it still doesn't to DH :) but that's me.

I came here to talk about the movie abd theories and such, and yes criticism too. The only thing I was not expecting was what came across as being put into this prequel loving mold (of which I don't belong. Hayden Christiansen, need I say more? Ugh) . If that was a misunderstanding on my part, then again, my apologies

Last edited:
I came here to talk about the movie abd theories and such, and yes criticism too. The only thing I was not expecting was what came across as being put into this prequel loving mold (of which I don't belong. Hayden Christiansen, need I say more? Ugh) . If that was a misunderstanding on my part, then again, my apologies

I was wrong if i mistaken labeled you as that….what i was trying to refer to…and they can't deny their existence…is the "next gen"/reactionary star wars fans who try to argue the two sets on their merits. The basic story/arc/characters are just not in the same caliber…so while if you love them - i couldn't care less - its not a battle to fight.

The same general ilk are the ones who have spewed a lot of anonymous "E-hatred" for disney for daring to buy lucasfilm and then for picking abrams with a flimsy base to criticize. So i'm actually defending disney far more than i usually do.

lucas couldn't write a decent screenplay and couldn't direct after he came into money…it consumed him. he is ANAKIN SKYWALKER.
I have never seen a compelling counter argument or seen anything to believe that the franchise wasn't damaged or didn't actually lose my because of it - which is what he tried most to avoid.
Nobody's poor…so i don't weep.

Not at all...as I further posted I was on the wee tail end of Star Wars...

But I am very ponderous on these types of things and I don't hold the Bucket for the things I like.

What's good is good and what's bad is bad.

Not sports, Disney, nor Star Wars.

Praise when good...criticism when bad.

You want to know what the prequels did for the old fans? It artificially made the original better than we thought they were 25 years ago!!!

Nobody thought Mark hammil was a good actor...and nobody liked ewoks...and nobody thought boba fett didn't go out like a chump...or that blowing up the Death Star through a dryer
Vent made sense...

But now it's like citizen Kane.

Blame that on George's "art"...

Call me crazy...but you'll realize I have a valid point.

I just want to say that I, personally, love the Ewoks. Wore my Ewok t-shirt to DHS in October and to TFA last night. :goodvibes

This whole discussion is fascinating but I begin to wonder if we saw the same movie. I walked out of the theater feeling the same enjoyment as I had when I saw the original Star Wars when it came out (yes, I'm that old). Then, again, I walked into the theater prepared to be entertained by a story of a galaxy, long ago and far away...

I am "that old" too.

My two cents....I loved it, I loved watching it with my 15 year old DS and remembering watching the original the day it opened when I was also 15. I walked out of the theater tonight feeling the same way I did back in 1977-blown away by the whole experience. My DH and DD-not big Star Wars fans-loved it as well. DS and I-Star Wars buddies since I introduced him when he was about 7-absolutely enjoyed every bit of it. (And, yes, I, for one, shed more than a tear for Han.)

what i was trying to refer to…and they can't deny their existence…is the "next gen"/reactionary star wars fans who try to argue the two sets on their merits. The basic story/arc/characters are just not in the same caliber…so while if you love them - i couldn't care less - its not a battle to fight.

I certainly agree there are those that exist, though I'm not one of them, and it's not a battle I'm fighting :)

@lockedoutlogic ...

You definitely have a right to your opinions. I think you've brought up some good points. However, you rub me (and presumably others) the wrong way when you tell us our opinions are wrong. I ranked the SW movies in order (based on MY preference), putting Ep3 at number 2. You come back and say "go watch #3 again and you'll see how bad it is". Whether you meant to or not, I read that as you telling me I'm wrong. You've also said (paraphrasing) that people can't like the prequels. But there's been people here who've said even Ep1 is one of their favorites. Again, you're criticizing people for their opinions. How can an opinion be wrong?

@lockedoutlogic ...

You definitely have a right to your opinions. I think you've brought up some good points. However, you rub me (and presumably others) the wrong way when you tell us our opinions are wrong. I ranked the SW movies in order (based on MY preference), putting Ep3 at number 2. You come back and say "go watch #3 again and you'll see how bad it is". Whether you meant to or not, I read that as you telling me I'm wrong. You've also said (paraphrasing) that people can't like the prequels. But there's been people here who've said even Ep1 is one of their favorites. Again, you're criticizing people for their opinions. How can an opinion be wrong?

My honest opinion is that you can't argue the merits of the prequels because the are devoid of emotions and Lucas made them for all the wrong reasons.

It is my opinion that you may be "incorrect".

I disagree with you, you can disagree with me.
It's not personal...we will never meet.

Can I jump in and I say while I can't lead a good defense of Phantom Menace. I just don't like it. I can defend Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan and he has a lot more to do in the latter movies. . Maybe I just have a soft spot for the actor. But I do like his Obi-Wan a lot. I wish the prequels were more about him and the other Jedi than Anakin.

What happens to the Jedi in Revenge of the Sith should be devastating.

I really liked it. I am pretty sure Rey is going to be Luke Skywalker's daughter. I hope she might be Obi-Wan's granddaughter. So that is my $.02 on that issue.

I've seen it twice now. Part of my enjoyment, I must say, was that I've seen it in a brand new theater here that opened the day of the premiere. Gorgeous place! Electric recliner chairs, tray tables, Dolby Atmos....I could watch Alvin and the Chipmunks and be a happy camper!

I was 10 when SW came out. Empire is my favorite movie of all time. It actually lead to my brief period of crime when I would hide in the theater bathroom until the next showing. Must have seen it two dozen times in the theater. Han Solo was was my Justin Beiber.

I loved the movie on many levels. Watching it with my teenagers (I had brought them to the prequels as younglings) was very heartwarming. I think the best part of the movie is the humor. It had the old trilogy vibe.

I do think many of our questions, hopefully, will be answered the the remaining movies. I do wish they would have taken the story in a new direction. I could not shake the feeling of deva ju in just about every scene. Orphan on the planet with a mysterious robed gentleman watching over them from a distance. Check. Reluctant comical hero. Check. Critical information being stored in a droid. Check. Bad guys for the sake of being bad. Check.

The movie felt so much like New Hope. Even Han's death on the catwalk with Finn and Rey looking on...very Ben and Luke.

Loved the new characters, especially Finn and Po. I do wish we were given more backstory to the new sith master. Darth Plagueis?

Funny, after the second showing I found more fault in the movie. It did somewhat remind me of my feelings with the prequels. I did see all of them a couple of times in the theater. I remember being a big apologist in the SW forums, but later grew to like 1-3 less.

TFA was great. Not perfect, but I am hopeful and excited about the next movies.

I've seen it twice now. Part of my enjoyment, I must say, was that I've seen it in a brand new theater here that opened the day of the premiere. Gorgeous place! Electric recliner chairs, tray tables, Dolby Atmos....I could watch Alvin and the Chipmunks and be a happy camper!

I was 10 when SW came out. Empire is my favorite movie of all time. It actually lead to my brief period of crime when I would hide in the theater bathroom until the next showing. Must have seen it two dozen times in the theater. Han Solo was was my Justin Beiber.

I loved the movie on many levels. Watching it with my teenagers (I had brought them to the prequels as younglings) was very heartwarming. I think the best part of the movie is the humor. It had the old trilogy vibe.

I do think many of our questions, hopefully, will be answered the the remaining movies. I do wish they would have taken the story in a new direction. I could not shake the feeling of deva ju in just about every scene. Orphan on the planet with a mysterious robed gentleman watching over them from a distance. Check. Reluctant comical hero. Check. Critical information being stored in a droid. Check. Bad guys for the sake of being bad. Check.

The movie felt so much like New Hope. Even Han's death on the catwalk with Finn and Rey looking on...very Ben and Luke.

Loved the new characters, especially Finn and Po. I do wish we were given more backstory to the new sith master. Darth Plagueis?

Funny, after the second showing I found more fault in the movie. It did somewhat remind me of my feelings with the prequels. I did see all of them a couple of times in the theater. I remember being a big apologist in the SW forums, but later grew to like 1-3 less.

I have to ask, since it seems like you & I feel the same way about Han...did they totally screw him & Leia up? Like, where has he been all these years? Why didn't they live happily ever after?

(I haven't seen the movie yet, just read spoilers, so forgive me if these are stupid questions that are answered just by seeing the film). It will seriously break my heart of they didn't live happily ever after. I don't mind him dying, I do mind them breaking up. When I was a little girl, I looked at them more as true love than I did any Disney movie. Again, sorry if these are questions that are easily answered by paying for a movie ticket.

I have to ask, since it seems like you & I feel the same way about Han...did they totally screw him & Leia up? Like, where has he been all these years? Why didn't they live happily ever after?

(I haven't seen the movie yet, just read spoilers, so forgive me if these are stupid questions that are answered just by seeing the film). It will seriously break my heart of they didn't live happily ever after. I don't mind him dying, I do mind them breaking up. When I was a little girl, I looked at them more as true love than I did any Disney movie. Again, sorry if these are questions that are easily answered by paying for a movie ticket.

After their son went bad and Luke disappeared, Han went back to being a smuggler and he and Chewie were always gone. They didn't break up so much as he ran away... At least that was how I took it. He and Leia reconciled in this movie, but only a little while before he died. So no, no happy ending for them, unfortunately.

I have to say that's an excellent take. Loved it.

I haven't seen the second showing yet...but I have a feeling I will like it more. I had a lot of cringe and head shaking the first time...but still thought they did a great job....

...For a straight reboot...because it was a straight reboot. Star Trek was far more original and that was advertised as a reboot.

You don't want to be the guy know for sequels (direct quote)...but you're ok being Mr. reboot, J?

I am still wanting to see the next movie and it's day 3...that NEVER happened with the prequels because the delivery of the first was so bad. Like a crazy rich guy did it with no foils/advice :(

I was sick to my stomach going into aotc...and it got worse for the next three hours.

I'll be sick going into 8...but 100% in a different way.

I don't think they had any other choice. Carrie fisher couldn't deliver her lines.

I have distinct feeling that they regretted having her. Jar jar could have not been much worse.

Nancy Reagan was right: "just say no"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter