St Thomas Beaches Questions

preb

DIS Veteran
I'm making my list and checking it twice...

Any tips for the best beach day on our own in St Thomas?

I've heard about Coki, Saphire and Magens Bay. I tried to do a search, but it wouldn't let me.

Anyone remember approximate travel time and cabfare to these beaches? Do all of them offer restrooms, chairs, umbrellas, food and beverage service?

I think Magens Bay charges a cover charge...any idea how much and if the others do?

We're really just looking for a place to relax for a few hours in the afternoon where my DD4 can play in the sand and chase waves.

Thanks in advance for any tips and I need to start packing!:p

while we were told that Magen's Bay was by far the best beach in St. Thomas, my family went to St. John's Trunk Bay Beach and it was to die for. Nearly the whole island of St. John is in the hands of the NationalPark Service, so there is very little commercial activity at all. The beach charges $4/person over 16. There are bathrooms, showers, a snack bar, a place to rent snorkel equipment. We rented a car from Budget (or was it Avis?) right where the boat docked and took the ferry over. Would highly recommend St. John if possible, and I do know that our tablemates did an excursion through Disney at Trunk Bay, so you could get there that way as well.

bah..

We would like to go to St. Johns also. We sail November 1st. Can you tell me if we can take a taxi to where you drove? Will a taxi driver know where to take us? My husband is not very comfortable driving in a different country and we dont want to pay more through Disney.

Any help would be great!

Deb

PREB Meagan's Bay was beautiful but I don't remember any chairs there.It was very crowded the day we went(4 cruise ships were in the area) but that was Feb 2000.

Deb - we did the Disney excursion to St John. It was a little more expensive but it gets you right to the ferry then taxis over to the beach where you can get snorkle equipment etc.

We just returned today from our 9-6 Magic Cruise. We went to Meagan's Bay on our own, 3 adults 3 kids, 9,7,3. Taxi was $6/person one way, 3 yr old free. Beach was $3/per., kids free. We negociated the cab fare to $50 round trip. There are picnic tables on the beach in the shade, or you can rent chairs for $4 and lounges for $6 I think. They also had umbrellas, snorkle gear, towels, a gift shop, drinks, pizza ($2.50 slice, $16 whole),breakfast, restrooms, outside showers (salt water), and a taxi station. We really enjoyed it. We went in the morning and left about 12:30. It was starting to get busy by then, but not really crowded. If you want to play in the waves, don't bother going. It was very calm the day we were there, even my 3 yr old was playing in the water "by himself" (without one of us holding on to him) It is a National Park, that's why there is an admission charge, but there is also a sign that reads Bathing suits Required, or something to that effect. Glad to see that sign after our day at Dawn's beach the day before. Now, that was a beach with some good sized waves, just ask my DH, 'cause that's all he was allowed to look at! LOL!!:smooth:

Maegen's Bay is definitely the way to go...

When you get to the beach, turn left and walk down about 200 yds. You'll find it MUCH less crowded (if crowds are a problem that day), plus it puts you near one of the restrooms.

We've always sat down there, virtually by ourselves, and wondered why everyone was sitting on top of each other near the beach entrance.

Well, we did Coki beach & enjoyed it because we combined it with a trip to Coral World. Taxi was $35 EACH WAY for our family of 5 ($7 a piece & no one was willing to negotiate). Beautiful ride, very scenic!!! There was no charge for Coki beach & it is right next door to Coral World but there was a charge for umbrellas & chairs (I think $15.00 for both) Coral World was about $53 for our family (I could be off by a couple bucks but that's pretty close) and it was a lot of fun. We got to touch or "pet" a small shark, hold sea cucumbers, star fish, sea urchins, etc. plus see a lot more in many exhibits. If anyone goes, don't miss the area/building that is underwater & has windows all around. You can see the people out there doing the "Sea Trekkin" that they offer and watch a ton of jellyfish, etc.

The bathrooms at CW were very clean w/decent showers. There were small lockers you could rent & a snack bar. At Coki beach you could get more elaborate food (lobster even!) but it looked a bit pricey. We had packed a cooler & brought our own lunch. The water was very calm, hardly any waves so it is perfect for snorkeling & for little ones to safely play in. Snorkel rental was $15 but discounted to $10 if you had paid admission to CW.

Coki is beautiful....but one word of warning......if you don't purchase the coral world pass, you will not be able to use their nice clean potties......and the public potties are something you don't want to have to use!!!

Great ideas, thanks for starting this thread Preb! If you are reading this, then STOP, and go PACK!! :) 2 more days!:bounce: :Pinkbounc

My two cents....I've been to Coki Beach, Coral World, Magan's Bay and Trunk Bay, St. John (3x). Trunk Bay is definitely the one to go to. If you go on your own, the taxi drivers all go there. And one will be there to pick you up as well. Have a blast!!!

You can find discount coupons for Coral World, as I recall, at their website...every penny you save is a penny toward your next DCL trip :cool:

Thanks for all of the ideas! I think we'll just wing it based on the weather, our energy level that day, and my DD (4)'s mood. I guess I'm leaning toward Maegen's Bay for a relaxing, easy afternoon.

OK, now I really have to go pack!!!:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter