SSR room - a hot mess UPDATED WITH PICTURES

Bill the DVC member for excessive wear or wreckless room damage; or suspend their reservation privileges until paid. How about a room deposit, that would cover wreckless damage to rooms.
Bill the nonmembers for the same; or suspend their privileges to reserve a room, or purchase park tickets. (anywhere on Disney property). I'm sure Disney has a blackball list somewhere.
It seems like OKW and SSR rooms are the most worn and disrepaired rooms on property. I suspect because they are the easiest rooms for nonmembers to reserve; and I suspect they care less about the room's condition than a dues paying invested member.

*Sigh* I am late to this party but I just have to say to the OP I am sorry for your experience. It would have frustrated me too.

And, reading threads like this makes me a little sad...I love my DVC, but now I am gun shy to talk about it because if I share my excitement and my friend or guest ends up in a room like this I would cry.....for reals...

*Sigh* I am late to this party but I just have to say to the OP I am sorry for your experience. It would have frustrated me too.

And, reading threads like this makes me a little sad...I love my DVC, but now I am gun shy to talk about it because if I share my excitement and my friend or guest ends up in a room like this I would cry.....for reals...

I know, we are sending my parents down to stay at AKV for a week, next month. I told them this weekend that I want to know if they have any issues. I hated to even have that conversation with them because it is one that I have never had to have with anyone we sent down there. We have always been so excited to have people see how amazing it is. Now I realize that I am nervous about it, and I don't like that feeling.

Bill the DVC member for excessive wear or wreckless room damage; or suspend their reservation privileges until paid. How about a room deposit, that would cover wreckless damage to rooms.
Bill the nonmembers for the same; or suspend their privileges to reserve a room, or purchase park tickets. (anywhere on Disney property). I'm sure Disney has a blackball list somewhere.
It seems like OKW and SSR rooms are the most worn and disrepaired rooms on property. I suspect because they are the easiest rooms for nonmembers to reserve; and I suspect they care less about the room's condition than a dues paying invested member.

Sadly there have been multiple reports of member justifying bad behavior with, "I paid $$ tens of thousands for this room so I can do whatever I want" :(

While I am aware that there are follks at Disney who monitor the various message boards (I was a mod on another site) I think sometimes the "right" person needs to see the implications of a dissatisfied guest.

I am curious though, why would you NOT want to post about a problem? Disney can't fix what they are not aware of. :confused3

Because I believe in dealing with it face to face, or phone to phone, not airing it publically on a Net forum.

We have never had a damaged room at SSR or OKW but did have one recently at BCV. All DVC resorts stay booked year round and there is no evidence that members take better care of the rooms. In fact many have the attitude I paid for it, I can do whatever I want.

I do agree that members or non should be paying for damages. Especially those that let their kids jump all over the beds and furniture like it is a gym set.

No way did one guest cause this. :confused3

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

No way did one guest cause this. :confused3

Agreed. The comment about charging the guest who caused this issue for repairs, while true in most cases, does not apply in this case. The OP's issues are building maintenance issues - ones that never should have gone by unnoticed if they perform regular inspections. That right there is my biggest concern. How could the resort have allowed these problems to gone "unnoticed" and unrepaired. There's a hole in the system that needs to be closed. I can only hope my home resort does not have the same hole.

I'm trying to figure out what it is we're looking at in many of the pics. They're too close to make out whether they're on the ceiling or wall. Ceiling issue to me indicates a water leak may have happened in the unit, or roof above and further, more expensive work is required than just re-plastering/tiling the walls.

Just wanted to add that I totally understand the point of housekeeping being able to "miss" these types of issues. If I understand correctly, someone must review/approve the room for release after it's been cleaned. To have someone in charge approve this type of room truly needs to be addressed from the top down. There was no way your room (or the rooms we had in September) should have been released for guest usage. This is so unacceptable.

To the OP, I'm not sure what room you had but I think I read you were in Congress Park? We stayed over Labor Day weekend in a 2 bedroom in CP. The studio portion smelled like a musty old pirate ship. The smell of mildew & must was so strong coming from the studio portion that I did not allow our teens to sleep there the first night. The AC would not work. It would not cool the room at all (probably attributing to the smell of mildew & must). We weren't able to shower in the bathroom of the studio as the stopper to pull up (to make the shower head work) was stuck. It wouldn't pull up. Maintenance told us it would be fixed "after" we checked out as it would require an entire new fixture.

We had several people from maintenance there over the weekend. I talked to the head of HK and the GM. They cleaned the AC, changed the filter, put a maintenance request in to fix the shower, sprayed repeatedly to get rid of the smell...all to no avail. The AC never did work right. We were only there 2 nights and the 2nd night they moved my teens to a studio across the hall. I can understand the shower portion being missed but there is no way anyone could miss a hot, smelly room. Especially since as soon as you entered the 1 bedroom portion the difference was so obvious.

The part that bothered me the most was that someone in charge would approve a room like that to give to another guest. We tried and tried to make sure things were corrected before we left. Even mentioned it again at the front desk when we checked out.

I don't remember the issues you had being part of our issues, so I am assuming yours was a different set of rooms at Congress Park. Maybe that whole section of SSR needs to be closed for a major rehab.

Hoping your next trip will be better.

I'm trying to figure out what it is we're looking at in many of the pics. They're too close to make out whether they're on the ceiling or wall. Ceiling issue to me indicates a water leak may have happened in the unit, or roof above and further, more expensive work is required than just re-plastering/tiling the walls.

The tiles are all in the bathroom, on the floor or around the shower. The area that is the white and salmon is below the window on the wall in the second bedroom. Clearly some kind of water damage and mold.

Just wanted to add that I totally understand the point of housekeeping being able to "miss" these types of issues. If I understand correctly, someone must review/approve the room for release after it's been cleaned. To have someone in charge approve this type of room truly needs to be addressed from the top down. There was no way your room (or the rooms we had in September) should have been released for guest usage. This is so unacceptable.

To the OP, I'm not sure what room you had but I think I read you were in Congress Park? We stayed over Labor Day weekend in a 2 bedroom in CP. The studio portion smelled like a musty old pirate ship. The smell of mildew & must was so strong coming from the studio portion that I did not allow our teens to sleep there the first night. The AC would not work. It would not cool the room at all (probably attributing to the smell of mildew & must). We weren't able to shower in the bathroom of the studio as the stopper to pull up (to make the shower head work) was stuck. It wouldn't pull up. Maintenance told us it would be fixed "after" we checked out as it would require an entire new fixture.

We had several people from maintenance there over the weekend. I talked to the head of HK and the GM. They cleaned the AC, changed the filter, put a maintenance request in to fix the shower, sprayed repeatedly to get rid of the smell...all to no avail. The AC never did work right. We were only there 2 nights and the 2nd night they moved my teens to a studio across the hall. I can understand the shower portion being missed but there is no way anyone could miss a hot, smelly room. Especially since as soon as you entered the 1 bedroom portion the difference was so obvious.

The part that bothered me the most was that someone in charge would approve a room like that to give to another guest. We tried and tried to make sure things were corrected before we left. Even mentioned it again at the front desk when we checked out.

I don't remember the issues you had being part of our issues, so I am assuming yours was a different set of rooms at Congress Park. Maybe that whole section of SSR needs to be closed for a major rehab.

Hoping your next trip will be better.

Yep - we were in Congress Park. You might just be right, that area needs some TLC.

I, also, do not understand how my room got released to guest. I have no idea how someone who is supposed to inspect a room would think this one was OK. And like someone else said, one person did not cause this damage, so this room was Oked several times for guests. The mold and grime in the shower is not a guest either, it is mousekeeping not doing their jobs. You bathroom does not look like that after one group of guests. It looks like that when you don't clean it for a LONG time.:sad2:

If any DVC members are ever assigned a room in this condition, they should immediately walk to the front desk and refuse to accept the accommodation. Eventually, DVC would make the needed repairs because the room would continuously remain vacant which would cost them more money in the long run.

If any DVC members are ever assigned a room in this condition, they should immediately walk to the front desk and refuse to accept the accommodation. Eventually, DVC would make the needed repairs because the room would continuously remain vacant which would cost them more money in the long run.

I think they tried that:

"So my husband made a list of all these things and went down to the front desk and told them that these things needed to be fixed TODAY or they were going to have to put us in a new room. He said he could not stay in a room that was giving off sewer gas."

I would doubt that they will do anything with that room and I feel sorry for the next people who have it. I am sure there is someone staying in there now.

We are staying there in a 2 bedroom next weekend for two nights before moving to WLV. I have written down the room number you stayed in on our itinerary to make sure we do not get that room. Thank you for the input...I am really worried about this stay now. :sad2:

I am sorry that this occurred to you. We have been pretty lucky with our rooms as of now, but SSR is a new resort for us and we are staying there because it was the only DVC resort available.

I think they tried that:

"So my husband made a list of all these things and went down to the front desk and told them that these things needed to be fixed TODAY or they were going to have to put us in a new room. He said he could not stay in a room that was giving off sewer gas."

I would have called the fire marshall and had him come check it out. Sewer gas? Absolutely unacceptable!!

We have never had a damaged room at SSR or OKW but did have one recently at BCV. All DVC resorts stay booked year round and there is no evidence that members take better care of the rooms. In fact many have the attitude I paid for it, I can do whatever I want.

I do agree that members or non should be paying for damages. Especially those that let their kids jump all over the beds and furniture like it is a gym set.

I can guarantee that Disney hotels are not the only hotels in the world where kids jump on the beds and guests are not respective of the place they are staying.

Holy crap!!!!!
I would have demanded to be moved and compensated! That is awful!

This is an old thread from 2012 - not something recent…..
I'm disappointed that this has been going on for so long but it is still an issue. We were there in December, in Congress Park in room 1505. It smelled terrible, like old wet towels. We opened the doors to try airing it out but it didn't really help. Housekeeping offered to spray air freshener, but that would not have worked anyway. We opted to stay in the room because we were connected to our family's 1-bedroom (which was completely fine) and the convenience of that was too great, but I did send an email to DVC, which the promptly followed up with a phone call. They thanked us for notifying them, but I do not know if they did anything.

I'm disappointed that this has been going on for so long but it is still an issue. We were there in December, in Congress Park in room 1505. It smelled terrible, like old wet towels. We opened the doors to try airing it out but it didn't really help. Housekeeping offered to spray air freshener, but that would not have worked anyway. We opted to stay in the room because we were connected to our family's 1-bedroom (which was completely fine) and the convenience of that was too great, but I did send an email to DVC, which the promptly followed up with a phone call. They thanked us for notifying them, but I do not know if they did anything.

We were just there the first week of January and our villa was in A+ condition. I seriously couldn't find a THING wrong with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter