SSR - High Speed Internet

who's ur daddy?

Mouseketeer
There is high speed at SSR. But for our two bedroom unit, it was only in the master bedroom. My sister's family was using that room, so I really couldn't get to it to do some business work late at night (I know I was supposed to be on vacation, but I just couldn't help it...). There is an Ethernet jack in the second bedroom, but apparently there is no internet access through that outlet.

Then one night I decided to hit the Carriage House. Surely there'd be wireless internet there. Nope.

So I was stressing about work during the day when I could have been relaxing a little bit more.

Then there is the price. $10 for a 24 hour period. That is a rip and a half!!!

Sorry for the rant, but I had to vent!!!

Did you call regarding the second bedroom? In my studio in April, they had to reset the modem to get it to work.

I think it's time for Disney to get into this century with the internet and stop charging for it. :confused3

And they should go wireless! Heck, I can get FREE wireless at the Fairfield Inn.

Disney is under contract to the Internet Provider. The provider paid to wire the rooms and needs to recoup that cost. Until the contract expires, their hands are pretty much tied.

I had free wireless at the inexpensive Best Western near the Buffalo airport as well. If they can do it, certainly Disney can do it too.

Mid range hotels/motels geared for business travelers definitely more times than not offer free access. As you move up stream to the nicer hotels, you find that they subscribe more often to the theory that the business traveler's expense accounts can usually digest a nice internet fee since they are staying at a nice hotel. Now, this topic comes up a lot and the general consensus is that Disney is under contract with the provider for hardware and systems. I don't know why the CR would be the exception to it with their in room desk concierge.

I loved the HSIA at SSR (but I always stay in the MBR and have easy access to it...gotta have a king size bed). I like that you have a nice desk to work on rather than taking up space in the kitchen/living room eating area like at BCV and BWV. I wish BCV and BWV would exchange out one of the bedroom nightstands and replace with the work desk and HSIA outlet.

I think it's time for Disney to get into this century with the internet and stop charging for it. :confused3

I was a bit suprised myself they charged for it. At HHI there is no internet access in the room but you could go to the front desk and use wirelesss for free. It depends on the property.

I know Marriott is under contract with iBahn.com (Originally it was STSN.) I've been going to/working on a conference which has offered at least T-1 internet access since 1989. For years we would just tell them we are bring a High speed data line (normally donated by a local ISP) after Marriott started offering the HSIA we had to buy it from STSN.

Sounds like Disney is under the same sort of contract. My guess about the concierge rooms, is the same as with the big fancy rooms at Marriott they just build it into the price.

johno

Wireless is much slower than cable internet. I was at a Marriott in CT this week and they had wireless, it was only 11 mbps rather than 100 mbps you can get with cable in hotels. My company VPN kept disconnecting. They charged $9.95 per night (no option to stagger the 24 periods, it was a per night charge), but that did include free local and domestic long distance calls.

We just returned form SSR on Aug 11th. We had a 2 bedroom villa and used internet services. We had our computer set up in the master bedroom, but when I was in the 2nd bedroom one day, I pulled the table away from the wall to recharge a phone battery, and it looked like there was a internet section near the outlet. It is not real noticeable unless you acually pull the table out about 6 inches from the wall. The outlet is right below the top edge of the table, so unless you pull it out, you would not know it was there.

We just returned form SSR on Aug 11th. We had a 2 bedroom villa and used internet services. We had our computer set up in the master bedroom, but when I was in the 2nd bedroom one day, I pulled the table away from the wall to recharge a phone battery, and it looked like there was a internet section near the outlet. It is not real noticeable unless you acually pull the table out about 6 inches from the wall. The outlet is right below the top edge of the table, so unless you pull it out, you would not know it was there.

Believe you me, I tried all of the outlets, but none of them worked except for the master bedroom. The technician confirmed that only the master bedroom in our 2 bdroom unit was wired for HSIA. I couldn't believe it... but those other jacks were for jack squat.

We are the ownersso we need to say give us free internet.You get it free staying at a $29.00 hotel so why can't we who together pay into the high millions get it also free of charge.Again we are the owners aren't we?

tiggerguy :thumbsup2

You won't get something for nothing. We will pay somehow. Either we will pay individually by use or we will pay through dues. The cost and running of DVC resorts is the responsibility of the owners. I would rather have those that use pay. Plus WDW would rather have us in the parks spending money. That is why they have such a limited choice of television channels too.

We vacationed at Disney from Aug. 10th to Aug. 28th. The first week we stayed off property at World Celebration Resort. Free wireless internet at the front check-in building, which was a pain to walk to the front each time to use the internet. At OKW we used the router we brought with us and were able to use three laptops at once(yeah, we brought three with us). Staying for eleven days, the internet bill added up since we used it each day we were there. I agree, the price is crazy, the least they could do is give DVC members a good discount.:cool1:

Is there any place on Disney property with wireless access? I thought there was.....

As far as I know, the only place on-site is at the Wide World of Sports complex - go figure that one out?!? I use my free Juno dial-up account while I'm there. It's slow, and I only get 10 hours a month, but I'd rather be enjoying The World than sitting in my room, anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter