Springtime Surprise Weekend 2024 (April 18-21)

I have a Platinum CrD friend lined up to get my medal replica pins since I won't get to the expo until the afternoon most likely. I'm telling myself I don't care about any of the other merchandise so I can't be hurt again. 🤣

I don't know if I'm relieved or disappointed that none of the merch is anything I feel like I want to buy. :laughing: On one hand, it'll be a little bit of a bummer not to get any commemorative merchandise from the weekend. On the other, now I've got more snack money for the F&G booths. :rotfl2:

This will be my first run disney event. What are some of the tips you veterans can give a newbie to make his whole process smooth and enjoyable? I do have a question about the expo. If I am reading things right I do need to get a check in pass to pick up my bib and shirts, but i only need to get into the virtual que if I want to go to the expo and get any merch, is that correct? Also it looks like bib pick up and shirt pick up is in two different places? Also on race mornings, I know enough to get there early, but once there does everyone just move tot he corrals and wait there? What is it like once you get off th bus?

I will be right there with you. I just found out last week I have a tear in my meniscus on my left knee. I just got a cortisone shot on Tuesday. Between my knee and the weather it should be an interesting week for me.
Yikes

Thot I had a clot in lower leg, turns out I have a bakers cyst in both legs. The partially ruptured one causing some pain, swelling, redness etc.

Only signed up for 5k. Was told I could walk race (yea!) but with compression sleeves. Figure will wind up being swept as my pace is decidedly slower now due to coddling it.

Not the way I envisioned my first RD. Maybe they’ll let me cross the line anyway lol.

Yikes

Thot I had a clot in lower leg, turns out I have a bakers cyst in both legs. The partially ruptured one causing some pain, swelling, redness etc.

Only signed up for 5k. Was told I could walk race (yea!) but with compression sleeves. Figure will wind up being swept as my pace is decidedly slower now due to coddling it.

Not the way I envisioned my first RD. Maybe they’ll let me cross the line anyway lol.
Generally speaking, for the 5K, as long as you’re moving forward, you won’t be swept. People have finished the 5K with times of like 2 hrs because they stop for pictures.

Generally speaking, for the 5K, as long as you’re moving forward, you won’t be swept. People have finished the 5K with times of like 2 hrs because they stop for pictures.
Well that’s very to hear! Thank you.

This will be my first run disney event. What are some of the tips you veterans can give a newbie to make his whole process smooth and enjoyable? I do have a question about the expo. If I am reading things right I do need to get a check in pass to pick up my bib and shirts, but i only need to get into the virtual que if I want to go to the expo and get any merch, is that correct? Also it looks like bib pick up and shirt pick up is in two different places? Also on race mornings, I know enough to get there early, but once there does everyone just move tot he corrals and wait there? What is it like once you get off th bus?
You will get the expo check-in pass in your runDisney account on Monday and you just show it with your ID to get your bib.

The virtual queue is just for the runDisney merchandise on the first day of the expo (Thursday) and might be discontinued by the later afternoon of that day (but also might not). The rD merch area can be entered without the VQ on Friday or Saturday, but the stuff might be (will be) pretty picked over by then.

Yes, bibs are in one building and shirts are in another. I think rD does it this way to make sure people have to walk through the non-rD merch expo (which I think if fun to walk through anyway, I always come away with random cool stuff from the vendor expo)

On race mornings, once you get off the bus, you’ll walk through the Epcot security scanners, and then head to the pre-race area. There’s characters you can get in line to take pics with, there’s food trucks if you want to eat before the race, there’s a DJ, and there’s a DisBoards meetup if you want to see all of us wonderful people in person 😁😁

For the meetup, there’s a light pole in the general area of the white circle (really, the only light pole in the whole pre-race area)
1713012983491.png

Welcome to the club here are my tips:
Expo: if you are coming Thursday you will need a VQ to enter the arena to shop for event merch (pins, bags, magnets, spirit jerseys…) Friday & Saturday it’s a standby line , Field House (bibs & character meets) you will need an expo pass and photo ID to pick bibs up… don’t have an expo pass due to being an international runner or having IT errors than a paper wavier will be provided…. Athletic Center (shirts and third party vendors) is open to anyone to come and go

Race Day: once your bus gets to Epcot you will walk from the bus drop off through Epcot security then back out for a long walk to the opposite end of the parking lot…. There will be character lines (the earlier you get there the better as they can/will close up fast) there are also food trucks and port o let’s available
Once you head to the actual coral area there are more port o lets as well as water…
Use your judgement as to when you want to head over and pay attention if you are in an earlier coral to coral closure
Yikes

As long as your moving steady you should be fine…of the six in person 5ks I’ve done I’ve only been warned twice
Once was waiting in the first character queue I was told the last runners just crossed the start and if we stayed in line we would miss photo opportunities on the rest of the course (I bounced and ended up meeting two other characters)…. A second time I was in a line for a character just shy of mile 2 and was told she was going to be leaving at 715 so be aware (ultimately I crossed the finish before 715 even hit despite that warning being 20 mins into a 45 min wait)

Welcome.. I will try to answer your questions. Pick-up your bib at the field house first. The bib will have a tab you detach to get your race shirts. You will receive your check-in pass Tuesday. The check-in pass will show your bib number. It will show in your RunDisney account. Once inside the field house locate the booth for your race and bib number. Show your id and check in pass and you will receive your bib. If you are in the Challenge you may have to visit the Challenge booth and the 5K booth.

Once you have your bib you head over to the athletic center. Race shirt pick-up ins at the back of the room. The volunteer will have you tear off the tab and receive your race shirt. At that point you are all set. You can then wander through the exhibitor booths on your way out.

Then it is on to the Arena for official merchandise. You only need to sign up for the queue if you plan to visit on Thursday. Just show up when you group number is called. In the past, there has been a cast member at a booth for those who pre-purchased merchandise. You would check-in with the cast member and be allowed entry.

Does Disney supply the pins for your bib or does everyone have to bring their own?
They supply pins. I always keep an extra set of pins in my travel supplies, though, just in case they get lost or one goes missing.

Somewhat related...I prefer those little plastic snap things and since I'm guaranteed to forget the ones in my nightstand no matter how many times I mentally tell myself I need to pack them, there are usually numerous vendors at the Expo that have many varieties.

Somewhat related...I prefer those little plastic snap things and since I'm guaranteed to forget the ones in my nightstand no matter how many times I mentally tell myself I need to pack them, there are usually numerous vendors at the Expo that have many varieties.
Bib Boards? I have Cinderella ones, and I keep them in my travel bag so I won’t forget them. I’ll dig them out for local races then put them right back.

Thanks for the input everyone. One more question, the food trucks and stuff at the start area, can you use your magic band for payment or are they outside vendors that need a card?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter