Spring break - we're not in college anymore Toto - Feb 2018 TR

Joining in! I can never keep up enough to do the contests but I will try to pop in when I can.

I've been going down the rabbit hole of DVC lately. My Aunt just bought at Copper Creek so my Mom has been asking me all kind of questions. I definitely would love to do it but I don't think I'll ever get my husband on board!

Joining in! I can never keep up enough to do the contests but I will try to pop in when I can.

I've been going down the rabbit hole of DVC lately. My Aunt just bought at Copper Creek so my Mom has been asking me all kind of questions. I definitely would love to do it but I don't think I'll ever get my husband on board!
Good to have you here. Joined yours as well.

As for DVC, for me it was a no-brainer, but then again the cost in 2008 was much better. When I considered how much I spent on that first vacation and got a deal for 160 points for $12k, 50 years of vacations for 12K (and of course annual dues) was a great value.

The deals today are not as good, but I still think it will save you money in the long haul. My favorite (so far) is WLV, so I'm looking at the re-sale market there. On the other hand, for us, since we're almost empty nesters (AGAIN), we might need as many points in the future unless we have kids/grandkids join us like we did Feb this year. Also the fact you can pass it on to children (or someone else) if you want, it's worth it to me. To be honest, I think just in the last 9 years, I've more than gotten $12k of value compared to what it would have cost me to book out of pocket.

You being on CL at WL wouldn't have impacted your choice, eh? ;)
Ha ha no, I actually fell in love with WL on our first stay which wasn't CL. We did have an awesome MK/Wishes view from our standard view room on that trip though!

This year, school started the end of July and doesn't end until just before Memorial day. Last year they didn't start until mid-August. There was a proposal for year round school with more breaks in the middle and although it was voted down, it seems they're gradually moving to that anyway. :sad2:
Huh, so strange that Atlanta is so different from Alpharetta an they're pretty close. They started Aug. 10th this year and the year before. So far we haven't had year-round school proposed up here, I don't think I'd like it :snooty:

Update - The joys of ADRs

I'm sure I don't have to tell most of you, but I'll just state for the record Making ADRs is the worst. Well, maybe not the worst...the FP+ system and especially the tier system at EPCOT is the worst.

I've just spent the last 3 nights trying to figure out which park(s) DW and DD want to go to. OY! I think pulling teeth might be easier. I have a pretty good idea what DW likes, but trying to get her to answer which park she likes best and why or which rides is a challenge. So, without knowing for sure which parks and which days, it's harder to make ADRs. Coupled with that, I'm trying to make reservations for 6 (remember Brother, SIL and Niece might be joining us). So the plan is make the reservation for larger party and then drop it down when I know for sure how many will be on which day(s). The good thing about that is when I do drop the number of people on a reservation, someone else will be able to get a reservation that wasn't previously available so will make someone happy. So, finally finished up all the ADRs last night. I will wait a week or so before I post them in case any other folks join and want to get their guesses in prior to revealing what has been reserved. Obviously that could still change once we get there and/or if we call an audible, but it will give away which parks and which days.

I will say this (since y'all don't know where we've eaten before)...None of the ADRs are for places we've been before. Might even be doing a special tour or night time show package. Looked at several, but then balked when I saw the cost per person. I would say I can do all of them when I hit the lottery, but considering I don't play the lottery, that would be very improbable.

I think I ran across one in my searches (and I'm sure doing one myself wouldn't be too difficult, but why re-invent the wheel if I don't have to?). Does anyone know where there's a good planning spreadsheet? I've got a ways until FP+ selections,but wanting to plan out the day with reservations slated to make it easier to decide when FP+ selections and/or rope drop options would be best.

Last edited:

I'm sure I don't have to tell most of you, but I'll just state for the record Making ADRs is the worst.
Not quite.

the FP+ system and especially the tier system at EPCOT is the worst.
See.

So, without knowing for sure which parks and which days, it's harder to make ADRs.
::yes::

I will wait a week or so before I post them in case any other folks join and want to get their guesses in prior to revealing what has been reserved.
I'll try. That's a lot to think about, especially having no prior TR experience to know what you have done in the past/like to do. I'll try to get there, but I'm still playing catch up this week!

(and I'm sure doing one myself wouldn't be too difficult, but why re-invent the wheel if I don't have to?). Does anyone know where there's a good planning spreadsheet? I've got a ways until FP+ selections,but wanting to plan out the day with reservations slated to make it easier to decide when FP+ selections and/or rope drop options would be best.
I really just make my own. I'm picky and I want certain things so I pretty much always abandon templates and just do my own thing. To me, the biggest issue with planning is figuring out which park on which day. Usually look at a combination of park hours/EMH/crowd calendars to try to determine that. Then the ADRs and FP just slot in from there. I try not to plan out the whole day hour by hour. Maybe a noon or evening ADR with a few FP close by, but that's about it.

I'll just state for the record Making ADRs is the worst. Well, maybe not the worst...the FP+ system and especially the tier system at EPCOT is the worst.

I've just spent the last 3 nights trying to figure out which park(s) DW and DD want to go to. OY! I think pulling teeth might be easier.

Oh! I can help you out there.

Go to a Disney park.

You're welcome.

The good thing about that is when I do drop the number of people on a reservation, someone else will be able to get a reservation that wasn't previously available so will make someone happy.

While simultaneously pissing off the vast multitude who can't get in because the restaurant is fully booked.

:lmao:

None of the ADRs are for places we've been before

Oh! Nice one!

Does anyone know where there's a good planning spreadsheet? I've got a ways until FP+ selections,but wanting to plan out the day with reservations slated to make it easier to decide when FP+ selections and/or rope drop options would be best.

Sorry. Can't help ya there. I don't use 'em. But I know they're out there.

I'm still trying to get one ADR for February. For some weird reason, I can't seem to get one for Tutto Italia. I had no idea that one booked up quickly. :confused3 There's pretty much availability at every other restaurant in Epcot except for that one on the day I'm looking for. I could even get a Via Napoli ADR if I wanted. Mom's a little leery about Via Napoli though because she got sick the last time we ate there. I don't think it had anything to do with the food as there was a nasty flu bug going around that week (hence my TR titled "Who's Turn is it to Throw Up Today?"), but she is still not ready to try it a second time.

As for spreadsheets, I'm an accountant and do nothing but spreadsheets so I made one for myself. It's pretty basic though, I don't plan our days hour by hour. It pretty much just lists the park hours and ADR and FP+ times.

I've just spent the last 3 nights trying to figure out which park(s) DW and DD want to go to.

My favorite part of planning! I just do what I want- they can either pitch in and be an active part or shut it. If they don't want to be part of the planning, then I guess you get to go with what you want. I don't mean that to sound cranky, but well, someone has to be the leader here, no? Of course I threw in TONS of stuff they all would enjoy (it's Disney, what's not to love?) but if they him and haw, forget it. Moving forward.....

None of the ADRs are for places we've been before. Might even be doing a special tour or night time show package.

Nice!! Hmm, I hope you get to so something fun and out of the ordinary! :) Tours are big time fun!

Does anyone know where there's a good planning spreadsheet?
Like others, I've just made my own out of Excel. I plop in the park(s) we're going to, ADRs, and FiPs, but unlike others do plan a bit more. I stick in the must-sees, the hope to sees, and the hours sometimes (not always). If I'm doing a DISMeet, I also stick on the name and phone number. THEN, I cut apart each column and laminate them, punch a hole in them, then stick a ring in there so I have a handy little flip booklet to carry around with me with all the pertinent info right at my fingertips. Super handy! I've made each person in the party one for themselves, so everyone knows where I'll be when. If they wanna eat, but have taken off on their own, they'd better be there or be stuck with a burger. Anyways, that's my system.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

An oldie, but a goodie. :thumbsup2

I'm sure I don't have to tell most of you, but I'll just state for the record Making ADRs is the worst. Well, maybe not the worst...the FP+ system and especially the tier system at EPCOT is the worst.

Pretty much. I can't wait to try this when planning for a huge group of extended family next year. I'm already getting hypertension thinking about it.

I will say this (since y'all don't know where we've eaten before)...None of the ADRs are for places we've been before.

In that case, I'm changing my guesses to places you haven't been before.

Sorry, I can't help on planning spreadsheets. I just kinda wing it.

I'll try. That's a lot to think about, especially having no prior TR experience to know what you have done in the past/like to do. I'll try to get there, but I'm still playing catch up this week!
That's kinda the fun...since this is my first, it makes it more challenging.

Oh! I can help you out there.

Go to a Disney park.
Who knew it was that easy? <Smacks forehead with palm>

I take back all those horrible things Liesa said about you. :lmao:

You're welcome.
okay Maui
and thank you

While simultaneously pissing off the vast multitude who can't get in because the restaurant is fully booked.
I think you might be trying to yank my chain (knowing you, highly likely), but in the off chance you're actually serious
:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:
Oh my, didn't realize just typing that would illicit that response.
I've told my family to let me know as soon as they know so I can free up for someone.
(I did notice your :lmao:, so I know)

I'm still trying to get one ADR for February. For some weird reason, I can't seem to get one for Tutto Italia. I had no idea that one booked up quickly. :confused3 There's pretty much availability at every other restaurant in Epcot except for that one on the day I'm looking for. I could even get a Via Napoli ADR if I wanted. Mom's a little leery about Via Napoli though because she got sick the last time we ate there. I don't think it had anything to do with the food as there was a nasty flu bug going around that week (hence my TR titled "Who's Turn is it to Throw Up Today?"), but she is still not ready to try it a second time.
I'm sorry you can't get your ADR...want me to try? I seem to have done fairly well except one. Maybe the key is reserving for larger group and then changing it down later?

My favorite part of planning! I just do what I want- they can either pitch in and be an active part or shut it. If they don't want to be part of the planning, then I guess you get to go with what you want. I don't mean that to sound cranky, but well, someone has to be the leader here, no? Of course I threw in TONS of stuff they all would enjoy (it's Disney, what's not to love?) but if they him and haw, forget it. Moving forward.....
Well, eventually DW said just pick, I'll enjoy any of them. Of course that was too easy of an answer 5 days ago when I asked, right? I could've just picked my favorites and been done with it.

Nice!! Hmm, I hope you get to so something fun and out of the ordinary! :) Tours are big time fun!
I did and looking at possibly another one.

An oldie, but a goodie. :thumbsup2
Yep, but for non-tech folks, it still catches them. Last year, several of my former co-workers and I decided to figure out our ages in Hex. Saying I'm 35 sounds so much better. ;)

Pretty much. I can't wait to try this when planning for a huge group of extended family next year. I'm already getting hypertension thinking about it.
I think finding out NOW what things they like and don't like and no answer = no vote. Once you have that, then you can try to work in as much as possible to satisfy the masses. (almost left the m off of that and wondered if it was a Freudian slip). I would also hit up Andy since he's now the squirrel herding master. Might I also suggest putting a GPS tracker on mom.

In that case, I'm changing my guesses to places you haven't been before.
Okay, I've changed all of your answers to V&A (all of 'em). Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Borrowing from Liesa's style. T is for Thank you very much and happy thanksgiving and merry Christmas to you too!

** Real life update...you can skip if you'd like **

I found out last Friday that I'm being RIF'ed. Unlike all the others that were let go, they wanted me to stay on an additional 2 weeks for knowledge transfer. This is just about a month shy of my 3 year anniversary, so instead of 3 weeks of severance, I get 2.

Many of you following this PTR are believers as I am and I'm not really concerned. I know who is my provider and where my help comes from. I've got enough in savings and investments, I can manage easily for several months. Also, I've been unhappy in this job for a while now, so I'm almost relieved. I'm also seriously considering a total career change. When I started in IT many moons ago, it was about finding ways the computer could help people. Make their job easier, faster, more efficient...better in some way. Now, it's more about how can we track this person more efficiently, target more ads towards them, get them to spend more money, hire one person and have them be on call forever instead of staffing appropriately...screw them over. I'm very good at what I do, but I'm just not sure I want to do it anymore and want to find something where I can help people again.

I've given serious consideration to selling everything, buying an RV and moving down to central FL (maybe even WL campground). I've also considered, I could drive a bus at Disney and make enough money to semi-retire. If I'm a Disney employee, I can use the employee perks to satisfy my Disney love.

So...with my sob story (if you will) over, in looking at responses and responding to them, I've got two more questions for the contest...

What tour have I already booked?
What ADR was troublesome (surprisingly enough, it was not beaches & cream)?
Bonus question (10 points for each): Which two tours am I debating about possibly adding?

Last edited:
Ha ha no, I actually fell in love with WL on our first stay which wasn't CL. We did have an awesome MK/Wishes view from our standard view room on that trip though!
We were in the villas, so our view was blocked by the lodge itself, but sitting on the beach at night and watching the fireworks and then later the electric parade was good. I can't say there was a particular thing that I liked more than others...I like just about everything about the resort with the exception (as we've discussed) the pitiful slide at the pool.

Huh, so strange that Atlanta is so different from Alpharetta an they're pretty close. They started Aug. 10th this year and the year before. So far we haven't had year-round school proposed up here, I don't think I'd like it :snooty:
That's about the time we normally start, but last year it was the first week of Aug and this year the last week of July. I thought most of the ATL area counties were the same because the last time we were down during one of our breaks, most of the folks we ran into were from the ATL area who were on break also.

Who knew it was that easy? <Smacks forehead with palm>

I take back all those horrible things Liesa said about you. :lmao:

I'll have you know she loves me and would never say a word against me.
Right Liesa?

Right?

Right??

Hello?

I think you might be trying to yank my chain (knowing you, highly likely), but in the off chance you're actually serious
:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:
Oh my, didn't realize just typing that would illicit that response.

:lmao:

I've told my family to let me know as soon as they know so I can free up for someone.
(I did notice your :lmao:, so I know)

Meh. Don't care. But if you are cancelling a hard to get ADR (Beaches and Cream, Bog...) you could post on the Feb board (assume there is one. Haven't looked) so someone could nab it if they want it.

I found out last Friday that I'm being RIF'ed. Unlike all the others that were let go, they wanted me to stay on an additional 2 weeks for knowledge transfer. This is just about a month shy of my 3 year anniversary, so instead of 3 weeks of severance, I get 2.

Saw that over on the Dad's board. :hug:

Also, I've been unhappy in this job for a while now, so I'm almost relieved.

So perhaps... silver lining.

When I started in IT many moons ago, it was about finding ways the computer could help people. Make their job easier, faster, more efficient...better in some way.

Now, it's more about how can we track this person more efficiently, target more ads towards them, get them to spend more money, hire one person and have them be on call forever instead of staffing appropriately...

:sad2:

I've given serious consideration to selling everything, buying an RV and moving down to central FL (maybe even WL campground).

:rolleyes1

I wonder how many have had that same thought...

What tour have I already booked?

Keys.

What ADR was troublesome (surprisingly enough, it was not beaches & cream)?

BOG

Bonus question (10 points for each): Which two tours am I debating about possibly adding?

MK Train, Seeds.

Meh. Don't care. But if you are cancelling a hard to get ADR (Beaches and Cream, Bog...) you could post on the Feb board (assume there is one. Haven't looked) so someone could nab it if they want it.
I didn't realize there was a board for months...that's pretty cool...then I'd be able to see who might be down there the same time. Still planning on doing February, just might have to dial back some of the indulgences a bit.

Saw that over on the Dad's board. :hug:
Yeah, I debated about putting it over there, but then the long week comment kinda fit.

So perhaps... silver lining.

I wonder how many have had that same thought...
I'm sure many have, but I've done some serious number crunching (hey, it's what I do and what I'm good at) and I think we could retire or at least get a mind numbing job (kinda what I need after 35 years of IT, I'm sad and tired of what it's become) semi-retire.

Answers noted

I didn't realize there was a board for months...that's pretty cool...then I'd be able to see who might be down there the same time. Still planning on doing February, just might have to dial back some of the indulgences a bit.

I haven't looked this trip (haven't had to) but last trip I was looking for... probably either BOG or Beaches.... and I was always checking the thread for cancellations on that day. Never happened, but still...

Yeah, I debated about putting it over there, but then the long week comment kinda fit.

Get that.

I'm sure many have, but I've done some serious number crunching (hey, it's what I do and what I'm good at) and I think we could retire or at least get a mind numbing job (kinda what I need after 35 years of IT, I'm sad and tired of what it's become) semi-retire.

You could do worse than a job at Disney!

I haven't looked this trip (haven't had to) but last trip I was looking for... probably either BOG or Beaches.... and I was always checking the thread for cancellations on that day. Never happened, but still...
I haven't found a February board, but I did come across another PTR where they'll be there a day or two the same as us.

You could do worse than a job at Disney!
Absolutely! I can think of many (current job not excluded).

Put what you like over there mate, we are generally a relatively easy going bunch.
I know that...it wasn't for that reason I was debating putting it there...it was whether to post it at all...don't want to come across as the board whiner. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter