Split stays

dsmith424

Earning My Ears
I am new to the board and I'm sorry if this topic is in another thread, but I couldn't find it.

I wanted to get some opinions on split stays. I am planning our next trip and I was debating on a split stay. Is it a hassle to pack everything and move it to the next resort? Do the resorts offer transportation for split stays?

There will be 3 of us with one being an 11 year old. Any insight or opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Some feel it's a hassle, some don't. Some package their stuff for the first half in certain bags and stuff for the second half in others. Some are just really organized.

Disney will send your stuff along to the next resort. It will NOT be available in any way until AFTER official checkin time. You cannot take luggage on Disney buses or monorails, so put what you need for the day in backpacks. Of course, the easiest and fastest way to get self and luggage to the next resort is just a cab. Second resort will store your stuff until you have a room and are back to receive it.

I have done many split stays, mainly to make the most of the Deluxe Dining Plan. I have an October trip planned with two nights in an AKV Value Studio followed by two nights in an AKV Savanna View Studio (waitlisted for BLT). It's just my DH and me. I'm also planning on a 25th anniversary trip next year with my family with 2 nights at WDW and 4 nights at HHI. Now that being said, I don't like split stays and hope to avoid them in the future and maybe get the TIW card. I do think it's a hassle packing up and moving, and we've always had a car. I like to get somewhere and get settled.

I was skeptical about the split stay, and wanted to see some opinions. I travel with wife and 10 year old fashion diva. I'm not sure how packing everything up an extra time will work.

On a side note have you used the TIW? Next we were considering dropping the dining plan and trying that since our daughter will be considered an adult.

Maybe be worth it for longer stays, it's like two separate vacations. Pick a MK resort, stay for a few days visiting the MK, then move to an Epcot resort and visit Epcot/DHS.

For short stays, packing and moving and being without a home for a day isn't worth it IMO.

:earsboy: Bill

We love split stays. When we try a new resort it is hard to give up the previous ones (but of course we can't go to them all). I agree that it is a lot easier on longer trips. It also might depend on whether you unpack or not. We set up our suitcases and never remove our clothes. Coming from Seattle, we always stay a while. We usually plan the parks we visit with resort location in mind to lessen the impact of moving on our time. I hope you have a great time whatever you decide.

We did our first split stay last August. 3 nights at VWL, 3 nights at AKV--Jambo. The luggage transfer was very easy--we brought our luggage to bell services and told them it was going to Jambo, it was there by the time we checked in.

I'm the type of person who prefers to just stay at 1 place, but this split stay worked for us. I had really wanted to try out VWL and it was only available 3 nights in a row...we also had never been to Jambo house, so it was our chance to try 2 new places. By staying 3 days in each place, we never had trash/towel day.

If you're doing a split stay, I wouldn't do less than 3 nights at each place...I think you need the 3 to feel more relaxed.

I have done split stays and prefer not to. My main complaint is check out is 11am and your room might not be ready till 4pm. That being said, we are doing one our May trip. Room was not available for the last night and I'm will not willing to sacrifice a day!!!:rotfl2: So we are going from a GV at OKW to 2 studios at AKL savannah view for 2 nights (added one night). Half of our party is departing when we check out of OKW. Plan on rest and relaxation the last two days. All that matters is we will be in WDW :love:

I have done two splits stays:
AKL/BCV
OKW/CR
We have our own vehicle so for us it is easier:
Both times I went to the check-in resort @07:30, checked in, room was ready, went back, packed up, and we moved ourselves into the 2nd part of the trip.
Without a vehicle, on move day:
Call Bell Services and have them come pick-up your luggage and refrigerated items. Be sure to inform them that you have items to keep cold.
Tell them where you are transferring too.
Check-in to your new resort.
Go do whatever you want that day.
After getting your room text and you are back in it (items are not at your new resort until 2 - 4 PM), call Bell Services to have the item delivered to your room.
NOTE: You must be in the room for the pick-up and delivery.

Maybe be worth it for longer stays, it's like two separate vacations. Pick a MK resort, stay for a few days visiting the MK, then move to an Epcot resort and visit Epcot/DHS. For short stays, packing and moving and being without a home for a day isn't worth it IMO. :earsboy: Bill

This. Once we spent three nights at AKL followed by five at BCV. That was great and like two completely different vacations. I cannot justify the switch for a shorter trip unless there was a real desire/need for more then one location.

If you do switch - take a cab with your bags to the new resort first thing. That way your bags will always be accessable if you need them.

I like split stays while my DH does not particularly. You can drop luggage off with bell services for them to switch it over to new resort. You can take Disney transportation (bus, monorail, boat) to new resort to check in and then go about your day. Later, your luggage will be delivered to your new room. If you have your own car, you can just take luggage and go over to new resort.

I think it's best to have, at least, 3 nights at each resort but my DDs and I are doing a split with 2 nights at each this August (each DD chose a resort and we are only there for 4 nights...I will drive and have car to switch resorts). We will live out of suitcases and will be in studios. We leave WDW and head to DVC HHI for 5 more nights (so technically it's a 3 way split).

We are doing a split stay first week of June (just became DVC memebers!)
3 nights OKW/5 nights VWL. My question is this - if we give bags to Bell Services at OKW on checkout day, do we need to check in at VWL first thing that day?

Plan was to check out from OKW in the morning and leave bags to be sent to VWL. Then go to AK for day and then go check in at VWL in the evening and collect out bags/have them sent to our room then. Will this work?

We are doing a split stay first week of June (just became DVC memebers!)
3 nights OKW/5 nights VWL. My question is this - if we give bags to Bell Services at OKW on checkout day, do we need to check in at VWL first thing that day?

Plan was to check out from OKW in the morning and leave bags to be sent to VWL. Then go to AK for day and then go check in at VWL in the evening and collect out bags/have them sent to our room then. Will this work?

IMO not checking in leaves your room/location up for grabs. During the day, every time someone checking in wants a different room, you run the risk of it being your room and your requests not being met. If you don't care where your room is than it doesn't matter.

Maybe be worth it for longer stays, it's like two separate vacations. Pick a MK resort, stay for a few days visiting the MK, then move to an Epcot resort and visit Epcot/DHS.

For short stays, packing and moving and being without a home for a day isn't worth it IMO.

:earsboy: Bill

This is what we do. We do almost always split stays. Last time was 5 nights at AKL and 5 nights at BLT. Our AKL days were AK and BB and hanging by the pool.

At epcot we took full advantage of MK and Epcot. I don't mind it unless you have to be somewhere on the 2nd day (like an ADR) and you are counting on showering/changing etc.

We are also big TiW fans and have used it the last few years.

My question is this - if we give bags to Bell Services at OKW on checkout day, do we need to check in at VWL first thing that day?

No you don't have to check in first thing.

Each time we've gone we've had a TIW card. Love it.

Best way to spend a moving day is to keep busy. Get to a park all day, or spend the day swimming at the first or second resort, or hit Disney Quest, etc. Do NOT sit around the second resort, just waiting. That's no fun unless you're actually enjoying the resort. :)

IMO not checking in leaves your room/location up for grabs. During the day, every time someone checking in wants a different room, you run the risk of it being your room and your requests not being met. If you don't care where your room is than it doesn't matter.

Even though that is great advice, I think I'm still going to try and roll the dice with my original plan of hitting RD at AK and heading over to VWL in the afternoon to check in. Is online check in helpful at all for this?

Thanks for all the knowledge - esp. in the Purchasing DVC section!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter