Split Stay - Switch Day of Hurricane?

sethschroeder

DIS Veteran
I have a weird question and I know things can change but.... Dorian is expected to hit Orlando on Monday at 2PM.

We are switching from Old Key West 2Br (DVC Rental) to Animal Kingdom Lodge 1Br (DVC Rental) on Monday and I am starting to wonder what we will do? Will they force us out of OKW (I would expect yes) and will they for sure have the room at AKV for us? Is there an outside chance we can talk to the front desk and Disney would move us the night prior (if they have room)?

Also would Minnie Van be running during that day potentially?

I always say prepare for the worst and hope for the best. That is what I am trying to do here.

Anyone with experience from the storm that shutdown WDW a couple years back?

Dorian is expected to hit Orlando on Monday at 2PM.

According to the 11pm update on 8/29/19, the above information is incorrect.

The thing to watch is tropical-storm-force winds. That's typically the trigger for the shutdown of municipal services like airports and public transportation. I would guess that Disney also uses that as a benchmark (to end things like Minnie Van service).

Here are two National Hurricane Center maps showing tropical-storm-force winds. The first is the Earliest Arrival Time:

This map is the Most Likely Arrival Time of Tropical-Storm-Force Winds:

Based on these projects, I'd say that your resort switch on Monday will happen in the bright sunny weather that typically follows tropical systems.

Data Source:
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/024109.shtml?mltoa34#contents

According to the 11pm update on 8/29/19, the above information is incorrect.

The thing to watch is tropical-storm-force winds. That's typically the trigger for the shutdown of municipal services like airports and public transportation. I would guess that Disney also uses that as a benchmark (to end things like Minnie Van service).

Here are two National Hurricane Center maps showing tropical-storm-force winds. The first is the Earliest Arrival Time:

View attachment 430477

This map is the Most Likely Arrival Time of Tropical-Storm-Force Winds:

View attachment 430478

Based on these projects, I'd say that your resort switch on Monday will happen in the bright sunny weather that typically follows tropical systems.

Data Source:
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/024109.shtml?mltoa34#contents

I am going based projections of the actual hurricane center.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at5.shtml?start#contents
Again realizing it being the center of the zone doesn't mean a ton yet as things can shift.

Looks like overnight it's new projection set the timetable back to 2am Tuesday with hitting the Florida coast sometime Monday.

So while things can shift I can't see the system being gone by Monday unfortunately.

Based on your map that means from Sunday until Tuesday it will be hurricane force winds which I hope is not the case.

If it is unsafe to move, they will find you a place at OKW or keep you in your unit.

You'll have to talk to them once you are there. I was supposed to check in to SSR right before Irma but called to cancel and they were very thankful as they were trying to sort out where to put everyone. If Orlando takes a direct hit, the situation will be very fluid. Make sure you have water and food in your room. I know Disney tries to keep everyone hydrated and fed but nothing is fool (or weather) proof.

We moved right in the middle of Matthew, walked ourself from YC to BWI. Now, Matthew was nothing in the end but things were shut down. We had no issues moving whatsoever. Had the room we were supposed to have at BWI waiting, early even. Since we walked over about 11:00 AM

It is going to depend on if your resort is on lock down/ curfew. I was at Pop during Irma, and we were not allowed to leave the hotel at all for 2 days. They aren't going to kick you out of your current room, so don't worry about that. You just might not get to switch if they are still on curfew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter