Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said in another thread I love this idea. The swamp scene would work well for the ride.

But can I be panicky? ;) Would they work on Splash and Thunder Mountain at same time, and still not have Tron finished?

This is my favorite ride in all the parks. I have so many feelings right now, mostly anger. I can't believe this. I understand the movie has a lot of racial connotations, but the ride? I guess there's a lot of kids asking "what movie is this from?" and parents having to tap dance.

This is also my favorite ride but I love it for the anticipation, and the drop and the length. I don't love it for that song. I am uncomfortable with the caricatures of the movie and the theming of the ride. I'm THRILLED that they are re-theming. And yes - my kid asked what it was from and that was a conversation we had that we probably should have had earlier. And then he asked why they would still have the ride. I don't think the answer should be "because people really like the Zip A Dee Doo Dah song".

Now when will they start serving beignets in the MK? :)

....oh mah gah that is such a good idea. WITH DOLE WHIP ON TOP.

I said in another thread I love this idea. The swamp scene would work well for the ride.

But can I be panicky? ;) Would they work on Splash and Thunder Mountain at same time, and still not have Tron finished?

Since so much is cosmetic I am thinking most the time will be building animatronics backstage. I would think they need Tron going before closing it. It might be a while.

So how does the Monsters" Laugh Floor fit into TomorrowLand? I think it will fit just fine-But Sheriffs and Cowboys are probably the next thing to go

Monsters isn't a great fit, but Monsteropolis does have a semi-futurisic setting. It's a stretch though but not glaring.

What annoys me about this is that Disney is being increasingly lax on maintaining the theming of their parks. Guardians, Tron, Moana, Frozen, and now this? Remember when imagineers cared about thematic immersion? Drop the lazy IP push and ACTUALLY INVENT SOMETHING CREATIVE. /end rant

By the way, PatF is my favorite movie, and I still believe this..

Well my first thought was anger cause of cancel culture, but apparently it’s been in the works for a while. Not to mention the movie is very good. It’s just a really really perfectly themed ride the way it currently is and reminds me of my childhood.

Social media has been hammering Disney though on their feeds being pissed off about this move. Majority seem not to want it to change. If they change TOT like they did in Disney land I’ll go nuts

I’m actually a little surprised more people on this board isn’t upset with the change considering it’s a timeless classic. The inside of the ride is magnificent and truly shows the wonder of what Disney can do for a ride. I really hope there are no screens on the rehash

This isn't a great move in my opinion. It can work in DL because of adjscency to New Orleans Sqquare, but how does The Princess and The Frog fit into Fronteirland? It doesn't. I prefer my idea to reclaim the characters from Spash Mountain with an updated cartoon based on the old folktales that could modernize the story without losing the heart of it. This is not being done for the right reasons and is a bow to the pressure of a select few. I am all for giving Tiana a ride - I enjoy that movie - but she should have something original. They're basically doing it because there is already a riverboat in it. I don't even know what to think about this one.

It is set in the 1920's French Quarter, so it does throw off the "timeline" of the area in WDW, but I don't think they necessarily HAVE to stick to that original intention*. It absolutely makes sense in Disneyland, though. It will be interesting to have Mardi Gras in between Pecos Bill and BTMR. Splash never really said "frontier" to me, personally. Not like the rest of the area does. Maybe Pecos Bill's will get rethemed to Tiana's Place!

I'm personally THRILLED. We love Princess and the Frog, Tiana, New Orleans, Mardi Gras, etc. so more of it in the parks is a-ok with us. And we loved Splash.

*For clarity, I was saying that in my opinion, WDW doesn't have to stick to the 1800's timeframe of Frontierland as-is. I do think they have to stick to the 1920's timeframe of Princess and the Frog for the ride.

Last edited:
Yes. The animatronics at Disneyland are about 20 years older than the ride itself. It was due for an extended refurb and it probably didn't make sense to fix what was wrong with it mechanically. With how much it would cost, the property just isn't very marketable. Now they'll be able to sell more princess dresses and other merchandise to a movie that kids might actually want to watch. Plus, Tiana is the best princess at meet and greets.

Tokyo is staying the same for the time being for those that still want the original attraction.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned they can level Splash - ahem - SOAK Mountian at DLR. The last time I rode it I was drenched from head to toe. "Bring Back Amaerica Sings" became the mantra for that trip. I'd say wreck it, and build a Princess and the Frog ride in it's place as part of New Orleans Square. Keep Splash at MK and put a clone of that ride elsewhere where it fits better.

I love how you're not allowed to *not* like this decision - like it's so terrible that people love this ride.

You're not allowed to care about something that someone else may like. That's a great mindframe. Everything must be tossed aside unless it's fresh and new, and you're a fool for disagreeing.

If Splash was closer to Liberty Square it would fit nicely, where it is smack in the middle of Frontierland without a total theme reimagining seems forced at a minimum. If it's current climate, is Country Bear next on the chopping block? If you do that, and the shooting arcade, might as well re-do the whole land and make it something new.

It is set in the 1920's French Quarter, so it does throw off the "timeline" of the area in WDW, but I don't think they necessarily HAVE to stick to that original intention. It absolutely makes sense in Disneyland, though. It will be interesting to have Mardi Gras in between Pecos Bill and BTMR. Splash never really said "frontier" to me, personally. Not like the rest of the area does. Maybe Pecos Bill's will get rethemed to Tiana's Place!

I'm personally THRILLED. We love Princess and the Frog, Tiana, New Orleans, Mardi Gras, etc. so more of it in the parks is a-ok with us.
1920s in the south was VERY different than 1800s in the south... They do kind of have to stick to that timeline. Otherwise, they'd be removing the new ride pretty darn quick.

DON'T YOU TOUCH MY PECOS BILL! 😒

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter