• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SPIRIT Airlines

So Spirit won't even try to put you on a later flight or for another day??!

On another note, I feel like this is my support group! :lovestruc

On another note, I feel like this is my support group! :lovestruc

They did back in April... 4 days later. Our issue wasn't getting there, it was getting home.
I asked to be rebooked to alternate airports in the area, Pittsburgh, Akron. Nothing... Thankfully my job understood and we had the resources to stay but it was not a good sight at the airport.

It's just not an option for me to do that again. Im already managing a crisis at my job.

They screwed us twice. Cancelled our flight, refunded the money and said good luck finding a new flight.
When this has happened with other airlines, while annoying, they have booked up with another airline and flight at no additional cost. Both times when Spirit cancelled, it cost us more to book late with another airline. Never again.
Man such jerks, although it does not surprise me.
I would like to say never again but I use them at least once a month to fly home for the weekend to see family.. with out the ultra low cost. The employees are are rude most of the time but I just deal with it knowing I'm flying for half price. I'm sorry for your troubles I hope you find a great flight.

This article made me look different at the company.. it says the employees had no idea what was going on.
https://news.yahoo.com/spirit-employee-describes-working-amid-145616547.html

Last edited:

Finally got through to Spirit chat. If a round trip flight is booked and canceled, each flight is treated as a separate reservation. Departure would be canceled first.

I got right through today when I called 844-989-7283 and the woman was very helpful. I called because I read that if you cancel a round trip flight, both legs are cancelled. They seem to be recovering today, and as of right now my original flight is still scheduled. Looking at other carriers out - it would add so much more so I called to request to cancel JUST tomorrow's flight and keep our return flight - with the sincere hope that we won't meet the same fate next week. Before I even had a chance to request it, she offered a refund! Full refund of the original flight - so I am feeling so much better today, and this time tomorrow I WILL BE AT THE YACHT CLUB!! Woohoooo! I hope everything works out well for the rest of you - good luck, may the odds be ever in your favor!!!

Well support group, I couldn't take the stress anymore so I just canceled our spirit flight and rebooked with United. I did the cancellation through the Spirit website on my own and immediately got a full refund (which I was not expecting). GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

What dates were the flights that you canceled? I want to cancel my trip for the 18th since I already rebooked with another airline. Did you get a full refund or credit?

I got right through today when I called 844-989-7283 and the woman was very helpful. I called because I read that if you cancel a round trip flight, both legs are cancelled. They seem to be recovering today, and as of right now my original flight is still scheduled. Looking at other carriers out - it would add so much more so I called to request to cancel JUST tomorrow's flight and keep our return flight - with the sincere hope that we won't meet the same fate next week. Before I even had a chance to request it, she offered a refund! Full refund of the original flight - so I am feeling so much better today, and this time tomorrow I WILL BE AT THE YACHT CLUB!! Woohoooo! I hope everything works out well for the rest of you - good luck, may the odds be ever in your favor!!!
Well support group, I couldn't take the stress anymore so I just canceled our spirit flight and rebooked with United. I did the cancellation through the Spirit website on my own and immediately got a full refund (which I was not expecting). GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

This was not my situation and I'm currently back on the phone with them.. They told me i had no choice but to take the credit..
Which i nicely explained to her that the credit is of NO use to me... Im lucky im still getting to go on Wednesday as my boss recently passed away.

Just tried the "Let's chat" route. They're offering "full credit" for my reservation. Don't need credit for almost 1000 that I'll never use by the time that it expires. I'm a teacher with 3 school age kids, after September no time to travel (or $ after this vacation 🤣). Going to attempt to call next. Wish me luck

What dates were the flights that you canceled? I want to cancel my trip for the 18th since I already rebooked with another airline. Did you get a full refund or credit?
The flight I cancelled is expected to take off today (august 8) - I haven’t checked yet to see what it’s current status is.

for what it’s worth - our new flight was last night and the Soirit gates were calm and we saw flights moving through them - so hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel. This was in Philadelphia

This was not my situation and I'm currently back on the phone with them.. They told me i had no choice but to take the credit..
Which i nicely explained to her that the credit is of NO use to me... Im lucky im still getting to go on Wednesday as my boss recently passed away.

I hope it works out for you.

I am not an experienced flyer. I have a weekend trip to Disney in a month, with the return flight being spirit. I am wondering if I should book up a refundable back up flight with SW. I am traveling with my daughter and cannot get stuck. I would say rent a car but that seems impossible these days. Anyone have experience with canceling a backup flight with them?
As long as you cancel at least ten minutes before scheduled take off you should be all right.
Spirit will usually rebook you on the their next flight that has space. Depending on route frequency and how many flights have already been cancelled, it could be a while. I heard a story of a guy whose flight was cancelled Aug. 3, that was rebooked for Aug. 28. If something like this were to happen on one of the big 3 they would at least get you where you were going, even if it needed to be on another airline.

Oh, how I regret booking with Spirit for our trip August 20-29 from Newark NJ. I just hope that things are back to normal by then.
I have never flown with Spirit before, and usually fly from LaGuardia or JFK. But we are dropping our dog off in NJ so this made sense to us.
In all my years I have also never booked a refundable flight before - would anyone recommend doing that as a back-up?

I think people have the right to be upset, even if the prices were low (though they seem to get you in the bag and seat fees). Even if the flight is cheap, I would be upset to be stuck somewhere at extra oop costs and the hot mess that comes with it. Or to have made a lot of plans that were disrupted if I could not get to my destination, especially if any of those plans had non refundable costs.

But those cheaper costs are what will continue to entice.

Oh, how I regret booking with Spirit for our trip August 20-29 from Newark NJ. I just hope that things are back to normal by then.
I have never flown with Spirit before, and usually fly from LaGuardia or JFK. But we are dropping our dog off in NJ so this made sense to us.
In all my years I have also never booked a refundable flight before - would anyone recommend doing that as a back-up?
I “hear you”…We also have never flown Spirit..booked also in upcoming month since traveling back to Orlando from Philadelphia family event and wanted a nonstop.. I am also panicking with all the cancellations.. have been watching our routes and things seem to be improving yesterday. I understand if flight is cancelled will get refund but then what. Thinking of adding trip insurance to this trip for possible trip delay coverage which would cover hotel and meal costs if we have to take a next day flight. Will monitor flights over the next two weeks before purchasing trip insurance.

How can one stay mad with prices like these?
This is dallas to fort Lauderdale $21 each way
We did well last year on Spirit. We flew from ATL-MCO round trip for $136.

$17 each way per person.

We each only brought our free carry on and took what seats they gave us for free.

The flight took off and landed right on time. When things work, Spirit is great.

We did well last year on Spirit. We flew from ATL-MCO round trip for $136.

$17 each way per person.

We each only brought our free carry on and took what seats they gave us for free.

The flight took off and landed right on time. When things work, Spirit is great.
I sat here looking through fares in the next 60 days and most were at 21 -35 dollars.
I will let them buy my love

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter