Spirit Airlines experiences?...should I avoid?

They stranded my daughter a few years ago--her flight was cancelled due to technical problems, and their offer of a replacement flight was days later. Never again.

Flew once and never will again.

Needed chiropractic work after the flight. The seats are narrow versions of bus seats. They dont need to be so narrow as the aisle is almost 50% larger than other airlines.

Personal item size is strictly enforced. If your bag doesn't easily fit in their sizer, you must check the bag. At the time it cost $25.
Ditto, on the never again part. I didn't choose them, they were the last leg of a United flight. Propeller puddle jumpers, never, never again!

I agree with the people who say just know what to expect. I have flown with them several times on 2 hours flights and it was fine since I know what I am getting into. The seats are cramped and there are no extras. I would not want to fly on them on a longer flight since seats are small. I am average height and would not want to fly with them if I was tall. My brother is over 6 foot and I think he would not be comfortable. Also the airport for them is about 5 mins from my house and the parking is free and that all goes into my they are ok as long as you don't expect much extra thought.

I think we've been extremely lucky. We've flown Spirit 3 times in the last year and had no issues other than a short delay that got us to our destination about 1/2 hour late. We only needed one checked suitcase for our trips plus personal items (free) and we paid for cheap seats together in the back. We love the prices so keep flying with them. Although I will agree the staff isn't the most personable group I've ever met. The only 2 Spirit employees I've ever seen go out of there way was to help an older lady with visual impairment. The desk agent and the attendant on board were wonderful to her. Other than those 2, I've never seen Spirit employees particularly care to interact with the people flying with them. But for us, it's a 2 hour flight so if they ignore us, fine, I know what I've saved.

Last edited:
We have flown Spirit many times. We have had a few delays and messes, but overall, we feel the budget savings are worth the uncomfortable seats and fees for everything. It is HUGE when you are flying a family of 5 around for many years. We did have cancellation on one flight that messed with our journey to get on a cruise ship. We made the ship but lost a prepaid hotel night in Galveston. Then again, we recently had worse nightmares on Delta and a month later on American. Both Delta and American got us on other flights but not the same day in either case, both stranded us in cities far from home that required a hotel stay and a purchase of clean clothes and missed connections and work time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter